Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26

Author Topic: Underground exploration! First Post Updated  (Read 39964 times)

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
Re: Underground exploration! First Post Updated
« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2010, 09:49:24 pm »

Striking doesn't seem terribly lethal... I'm up to Accomplished, and I still can't do anything more than bruising people.
Add some Wrestling. I find mine very lethal, one hit and there heart is bruised and they die later on.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2010, 09:54:04 pm »

Striking doesn't seem terribly lethal... I'm up to Accomplished, and I still can't do anything more than bruising people.
Add some Wrestling. I find mine very lethal, one hit and there heart is bruised and they die later on.

I'm not going to deny that it's terrifyingly lethal, it just takes forever. An actual weapon kills about as well and much faster.
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2010, 09:59:07 pm »

And with a weapon, you can propel enemies away, or with a slashing weapon, you can remove limbs, causing the enemy to be immobilized and fall over.
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2010, 10:02:09 pm »

you should add antmen to the bestiary, they are GREAT tribesmen to have with you, since they either carry 1 spear and 3 shields (great tanks) or 4 spears, which is horrifying.  they have 4 arms, chitin grown armor, and come in large groups.
Nom nom nom

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2010, 10:05:04 pm »

Kilakan: I'm adding Creatures to be Bestiary once I receive/meet them, and get a description/ learn crap about them. >_>

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2010, 10:08:32 pm »

I'm starting another character destined to die in the abyss, but this time... I'm going in prepared. I'm going to get all his relevant skills to at least Master, then I'm going in.
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2010, 10:12:34 pm »

Screw preparation, I'ma kill me some HFS.

Finally fond my way to deep under the dwarven mountain halls. I should probably start searching for a way farther down, rather than my normal "walk in a straight line and see if I run into anything interesting" method...
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2010, 10:13:28 pm »

I'm playing that save now.  I found the Cream Demons are a lot more dangerous than the Ceratopsid.  I just got kicked so hard in the head by one it destroyed my brain and killed me instantly.
Shoes...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2010, 10:14:12 pm »

I hate cavern traveling so much, I mean, half of my journey in the cavern (before my fire-fall suicide) had me double-back (to the entrance) without even knowing it, I mean, really?

And then you have to deal with the boredom and being upset by that dead end ramp you just found.

I never made it past the first layer... :(
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2010, 10:14:44 pm »

I'm playing that save now.  I found the Cream Demons are a lot more dangerous than the Ceratopsid.  I just got kicked so hard in the head by one it destroyed my brain and killed me instantly.

Really? I didn't find them too difficult and the Ceratopsid kicked my ass. Strange.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 04, 2010, 10:20:05 pm »

Tarran: I think the random searching was pretty fun. I mean, I enjoyed it. O_o

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 04, 2010, 10:22:39 pm »

Not when 98% of the ways you took lead to dead ends, at least for me. :(

I just wish the layers were not so separate.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 04, 2010, 10:25:26 pm »

I've probably just played too much Nethack back in the day to find the random searching with occasional battles to be entirely boring :-P

That, and I'm lead on by the ever-present carrot of the slim chance of finding a quick way down to layer 2. So awesome if that happened.

Hey, do you guys know which layers are more likely to have friendly underground civs? Like, do you only see them in certain layers, or something?
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 04, 2010, 10:30:32 pm »

I've probably just played too much Nethack back in the day to find the random searching with occasional battles to be entirely boring :-P

That, and I'm lead on by the ever-present carrot of the slim chance of finding a quick way down to layer 2. So awesome if that happened.

Hey, do you guys know which layers are more likely to have friendly underground civs? Like, do you only see them in certain layers, or something?

I've seen them in every layer. I've even seen some Cave Swallow Men somewhat near the spoiler place.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 04, 2010, 10:39:46 pm »

Morning, 14th Granite, 40
Hello, diary! This is Sil Tetmubo! I've decided to go on an adventure! I've got my trusty axe, as well as some food and drink, but I dont think I'll be gone that long. I talked to Rere Piduddonu, and asked him to join me. He also has an axe! I think we'll get along just great! I talked to some child, they said there was a cave northwest about half a days walk. He said something about a pienops or a psikops or something like that, but it cant be that bad, right?!

Midday, 14th Granite, 40
The cave is where the kid said it is, and I'm going in. I'll write again later!

Midday, 14th Granite, 40
Goodness! Just a few seconds after I write that last entry, I was attacked by two big men with one eye, and a giant bat! It was rather scary! I ended up killing them all, and Rere didnt help at all. At least he isnt injured. I know I'm writing a bunch, but I just cant help it! I couldnt find the cave entrance, so I'm going looking for a different cave.

To be continued...?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26