Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for a world seed/parameters  (Read 1229 times)

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
Looking for a world seed/parameters
« on: April 03, 2010, 03:35:30 pm »

I'm trying to get a world that's a single large island surrounded by water, but it seems like I either get a edge-to-edge region with a ocean in the middle/off to the side (when I use "create Large/Medium Region") or a whole bunch of little(er) islands in the middle of an ocean.

Does anyone have a seed# for a large island, or what parameters would I need to adjust? I tried adjusting the number of oceans but it just cycled through rejection after rejection (I cancelled around 200 rejections.)

Ohtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a world seed/parameters
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 04:07:00 pm »

Try reducing the total number of required ocean squares in an Island gen- to maybe 3/4s. It's not infallible, but it's a start. Mess with required height stuff (at the very end) too, perhaps?
"He who fights with monsters should take care lest he become a monster… when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you…"
-Friedrich Nietzsche

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 05:01:59 pm »

Okay, got it (sort of) figured out.

If you take a given map and alter its dimensions it'll reset all the parameters to the assumed values for that size. If you then go in and change the edge oceans (default NONE) to 4 you'll get a giant mass of land with water on all sides and mountains in the middle. Now it'll either give you this really quickly (<100 rejections) or it'll run a few thousand rejections before saying it can't place enough peaks. 'T' to allow there to not be enough peaks and it'll spit out an island continent after a small handful of additional rejections (<100). At this point I started to find something really funny: in order to meet the default Savagery requirements it was spitting out one of two results: benevolent mountains/vile oceans or blessed oceans/ruinous peaks. Went in again and adjusted savagery downwards (since deep mountain/deep ocean savagery doesn't really impact my game, just the prettiness of my map) and it's now spitting out something kinda nice. Going to run the gen a couple more times for some nicer land shapes and fewer civilizations then I should have a world I can run for a couple hundred years before running out of decent embarks.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 06:38:39 pm »

Here's what I wound up with:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 06:49:35 pm »

@Lemon Is it possible to embark on that micro-island in the bottom right corner?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 07:13:31 pm »

@Lemon Is it possible to embark on that micro-island in the bottom right corner?
Yes, but the tiny one has two layers of aquifer and the slightly larger one has three.

It's also possible (though not advised) to embark on the island volcano in the bottom left.