Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone got military equipment to work?  (Read 1630 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Anyone got military equipment to work?
« on: April 03, 2010, 02:29:18 pm »

So, I've pretty much got the actual military interface figured out (sort of, they all do individual drills all the time, but it works good so whatever). However, I can't for the life of me get my damn dwarves to actually put armor on.

if I pick the leather or metal armor preset, it just throws them all into a 'pickup equipment' loop where they grab random armor, put it on, take it off, put it away... forever.

If I set them to specific armor (steel breastplate, steel greaves, steel gauntlets, etc) then some of them pick up some of the correct armor... but not a full set. I've got 10 sets of armor, and 5 dwarves that need to be wearing it - one has a full set, 3 have various random pieces, and one refuses to wear any armor at all.

Yes, I've got an arsenal dwarf and yes he's done his paperwork.

Is it just buggy or am I doing something wrong?
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Dendou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone got military equipment to work?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 02:32:20 pm »

Granted I still don't quite understand the new military system but I've had this problem in the earlier version.  For me it was that the equipment weighed more than the dwarves could carry.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 02:33:40 pm »

I also have the pickup loop, only with *pig tail tunics*.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 02:42:21 pm »

I've not only gotten my dwarves to pick up their stuff, but they pick up stuff depending on their alert state.. I've set it up like this

Copper - Stand down: Dwarves do their regular stuff, carry shortswords.
Silver - Training: Dwarves switch to breastplates, shields and training weapons
Platinum - Peacetime defense: Breastplates, helmets shields shortswords, patrol entrance hall, 5 and 5 members of the main squad alternate months to patrol
Gold - Wartime, civvies are ordered below, ALL soldiers are forced on duty and march to the entrance hall, full platemail, sword, shield, carry water and food.

The only problem i have is that while they're training they're still listed as civilians.. doesn't really seem to change alot, as soon as i set them higher than silver they switch to soldier mode and march out

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 03:04:58 pm »

....how?

I mean, I understand how to do the settings for training/patrol/defense/etc with alert states but not how to assign them specific equipment for each state. The only option I see is inactive = uniform/civ clothes.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 03:07:50 pm »

You need to set their uniforms. If you go into the uniforms screen, you can choose armor types, what they wield, etc.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Mister Thou

• Bay Watcher
  • out of ointment and out of time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 03:22:46 pm »

I'm with BurnedToast on this one. if you've found how to tie different uniforms to different alert states, I'd love to hear how to do that.

I can't find any options on uniform or equip screens that have to do with alert states, or options on the schedule screen that have to do with equipment, other than the aforementioned inactive gear setting.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 04:03:09 pm »

Well I've fixed the problem, sort of. It seems that for some reason they didn't like some of the equipment I had made before.

Forging a bunch more sets of armor seemed to have worked, and they are all equipped now. I'm not really sure why they didn't like the other suits of armor but they are eager enough to wear the new ones.

I think they are ignoring the armor that was created before they were told to equip their uniform, but I'm not totally sure. More testing is required.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 04:07:13 pm »

huh.. ya know.. when i look at it again i think i may have misunderstood the feedback given by my little dwarves.. as my alert states were progressive in nature my dwarves did not equip their new gear until i actually set it to that state but.. uhh at least at this time i seem unable to set different uniform to different alert states... weird.. i could have SWORN, and i will! DAMN! that it worked like that earlyer... ohwell..

Erotic Bootlace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 04:27:48 pm »

I can't get my archers to shoot at the archery range. It's very frustrating - they've equipped the uniform I set, they have quivers, and there are wooden bolts available, but they won't pick them up. Their orders are stuck on "Go to Archery Practice" and I've set an archery range for the squad with all options enabled (Sleep, Train, etc.)

Very frustrating! The new system seems really powerful and I'll love it when I know how to use it, but right now I havn't a clue what I'm doing wrong!
intPostCount = intPostCount + 1

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 04:45:37 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Military

at the bottom is a note about marksdwarves. I have never tried them out yet so I don't know how accurate it is or if there are any other quirks.

Edit: I see you've already done what it says. I don't know then, sorry.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 04:58:03 pm by BurnedToast »

Erotic Bootlace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 07:34:16 pm »

Ok, I think I've just worked out the solution to my crossbow Dwarves problem; apparently, Dwarves who don't have someone better to train them normally practise on their own, but they are unable to do this with crossbows. I sort of solved the problem by starting a new fort an embarking with a Dwarf who is competant with crossbows... although he's ended up teaching them dodging, rather than how to shoot their weapons. Meh.
intPostCount = intPostCount + 1