Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26

Author Topic: Kobold Camp 2010 ( 0.31.01 ) ( ALPHA 0.3 ) ( UPDATED 06/04 )  (Read 59580 times)

Haggle

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarves are pretty good at dying
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp 2010 ( 0.31.01 ) ( ALPHA 0.3 ) ( UPDATED 06/04 )
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2010, 06:18:17 am »

According to who?
The game paints them as small wrinkly brownish creatures, but I always pictured them (and thus, drew the associated Kobold Camp character set) based on them having very short, fuzzy gray fur.

I was just asking whether there was a standard view for kobolds. But it should be based off of how the player, or anyone would like to perceive them, didn't mean anything of it.

Yeah, and what Kaelem said. I always saw them as gray furred thanks to your drawings.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2010, 08:51:45 am »

woops, yeah I have trouble spelling messenger for some reason

EDIT:  Nocturnal Schedual and boredom brings you more stuff!

So I made the primitive workspace and the reaction for the leather slings

the workshop
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

the reaction
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 10:53:33 am by Kaelem Gaen »

Lairian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2010, 11:03:04 am »

I will always see kobolds as grey furred, thanks to Gobbo.

On the subject of new jobs that my graphics set lacks, I know medicine is new so can I get thoughts on medibolds?

Do we like BandageBold or SutureBold, and do we like little nurse caps?

...for that matter, can someone direct me to a list of the new jobs so that I can fill in gaps intelligently?

EDIT: while I'm at it, I made some slingers/master slingers, and need another quick poll...

Shaman with feather headress...or Bozo the Clown?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 12:28:15 pm by Lairian »

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2010, 11:14:23 am »

They're cute!  as cutebolds should be.

also I made this for myself he other day but I'm sharing it.    However the Icon file is for. win xp/vista (I used IconFX to iconify it)

Obviously I did not draw the art use for the icon it is the picture from the start of the thread, though I did colorize it and add the KC to it.
I believe that means the art is  Gobbos.
http://www.filedropper.com/koboldcampicon

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2010, 12:39:05 pm »

I will always see kobolds as grey furred, thanks to Gobbo.

On the subject of new jobs that my graphics set lacks, I know medicine is new so can I get thoughts on medibolds?

Do we like BandageBold or SutureBold, and do we like little nurse caps?

...for that matter, can someone direct me to a list of the new jobs so that I can fill in gaps intelligently?

EDIT: while I'm at it, I made some slingers/master slingers, and need another quick poll...

Shaman with feather headress...or Bozo the Clown?

LOVE the nurse caps, mabye they should be on all medics?
Kinda thinking for the bandagebold, just to make him ever cuter... make him hold a giant bandaid instead of a wrap. :D
suturebold might look better if there was a spool in one hand and a needle in the other.

the sling bolds look great, nice touch for the elite, a red feather might look good as well as the yellow.

not a huge fan of the shamans headdress though, mabye something closer to this if possible
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Lairian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2010, 12:48:39 pm »

LOVE the nurse caps, mabye they should be on all medics?
Kinda thinking for the bandagebold, just to make him ever cuter... make him hold a giant bandaid instead of a wrap. :D
suturebold might look better if there was a spool in one hand and a needle in the other.

the sling bolds look great, nice touch for the elite, a red feather might look good as well as the yellow.

not a huge fan of the shamans headdress though, mabye something closer to this if possible

The Just-A-Nurse-Cap-'Bold was entirely for the purpose of showing it of and determining if all healthcare 'bolds should have them.  One vote for universal health caps, it seems.   ;D

I'll try to get a spool onto the suturebold; no promises, tiny things tend to get unintelligible.

Also in regards to the shaman's feather headdress, I was going for a look similar to the picture you posted, but with more color/Aztec bird of paradise feel.  I got a clown wig, which looks worse each time I see it.  Let me try the greyscale of the hat you posted...

EDIT:
Okay, KISS: the grey feathers did seem to help quite a lot.  Still not 100% feeling it, but much better.

Here are a few more options for the bonesetter and suturebold.  One is very band-aid, which is mostly inappropriate given that the bandage was to hold on a splint, but comical.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:16:02 pm by Lairian »

Gobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2010, 02:55:14 pm »

I was just asking whether there was a standard view for kobolds. But it should be based off of how the player, or anyone would like to perceive them, didn't mean anything of it.
Er, I wasn't taking any offense, I just didn't know what standard you were going by.

As for the Witchy noble, how about something like this?

I'm considering more facepaint, to suggest a skull.
You'll never be able to look at the chains in your Fortress the same way again.

Lairian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2010, 04:01:45 pm »

Just something that I've noticed going through the raws (while trying to isolate why profession graphics are superceding noble graphics):

Unlike other kobold "nobles", warband marshals and warband leaders do not have their titles capitalized.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2010, 05:15:56 pm »

The permitted jobs don't seem to be working - my kobolds only have available mining, carpentry, crossbow-making, wood cutting, all the healthcare skills, all hauling, architecture, alchemy, and cleaning. There doesn't appear to be any way to get food - no fishing or hunting. I think someone mentioned something earlier about something causing the menu they're in to not appear?

Anyways, I added the impact_fracture change to make stone unmineable to all [is_stone] rock except obsidian and tried it out: it worked! Stone was unmineable, and I was able to dig through soil, obsidian, and even dig out some gems (but not ore, apparently ore [IS_STONE] but gems must not be. Of course if you wanted certain ores to be diggable you could make it possible). It only took four lines because I first ported Kobold Camp 2010 to Uristmod. :P

(I also found and fixed a bunch of bugs in Uristmod last night while I was doing that :P)

So I embarked at the only volcano in the world and dug out my own cave in the obsidian. ^_^

I also moved fur to a new BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:KOBOLD_MATERIAL, in the hopes that by making only kobolds have it, it will make fur only appear on kobolds, but I haven't looked at it much yet to see how well it worked (I'm not actually sure how to), and I have no idea how it will interact with the added line about fur in [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SKIN_TEMPLATE]. Actually, it seems like on the embark screen there were still skin items for every creature, probably because of that [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SKIN_TEMPLATE] line.

P.S. It's a simple matter to exclude specific stone types from the impact fracture change. Each stone being excluded will only need one more line - obsidian's is ![STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:obsidian]

(This doesn't include the primitive workspace and reaction, or any graphics set or tileset, only what was in the KC2010 download and the two changes I mentioned above)

I've uploaded the Uristmod-ed version of KC2010 here:

If you like it, you can work from it. One idea behind Uristmod is that instead of having to check your modified raws against the DF raws every time DF updates, and try to find everything you may have changed, you have your changes right there, and they're likely to be applicable directly without being modified again. Another is that it can find things and change them en masse for you - like I did with the impact fracture change. (It can also install tilesets and graphics sets, and update saved games when you update raws)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Lairian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 07, 2010, 05:44:59 pm »

Added skeletons and zombies to military, made a deadbold to set as standard.

Convert to .bmp using paint:

and put it in a folder (called, say, koboldcamp) in ../raw/graphics/

Make a .txt file named graphics_koboldcamp.txt, and fill it with:

Make sure no other graphics packs draw kobolds, of course.  Will -not- work in the arena.

TODO: Lashers, blowpipes, threshers, glassmakers, strand extractors, siegebolds, drunks, and take suggestions of course.
Merge Gobbo's witchdoctor if people like, possibly change the Shaman to make the two more differentiable. Witchdoctor stolen shamelessly, unless asked not to.
Link slinger sprites to the slinger profession (need more knowledge on how the weapon was constructed in raws, will look up).

EDIT: spoiler tag hides txt file contents...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:56:02 pm by Lairian »

Haggle

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarves are pretty good at dying
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2010, 05:53:19 pm »

If you like it, you can work from it. One idea behind Uristmod is that instead of having to check your modified raws against the DF raws every time DF updates, and try to find everything you may have changed, you have your changes right there, and they're likely to be applicable directly without being modified again. Another is that it can find things and change them en masse for you - like I did with the impact fracture change. (It can also install tilesets and graphics sets, and update saved games when you update raws)

Yes! This definitely makes handling mods easier now, I don't know why I didn't run into this earlier. This is a god send as well, now that there are so many temporary bug fixes go around and so many exciting mods I'd like to mix together. (specifically Caesar's Spider Overhaul when he gets wolfspiders finished and Kobold Camp) :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:08:52 pm by Haggle »

Gobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2010, 06:44:08 pm »

This is looking promising. A scrimshawer's workshop to make bone furniture and other items would be nice, plus maybe some bone weaponry, scale armor, things like that.
Trying to make it myself made me realize just how different the new raws are, when my kobolds began producing Horse Nervous Tissue beds and the like.

Oh and here's the witchdoctor/chieftain if needed.
You'll never be able to look at the chains in your Fortress the same way again.

twichyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2010, 06:48:11 pm »

is it only me or is everyone elses fur's catching fire and burning away at embark? oh and in order to let kobolds have embark pets is you have to add the [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PET] to their entity_default entry also made two new reactions, i havnt tested the create stone bullets one but the wooden club one works
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:PRODUCE_WOODEN_CLUB]
[NAME:make wood club]
[BUILDING:<whatever the buildings name is>:CUSTOM_S]
[REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CLUB_PRIMITIVE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[SKILL:WOODCRAFT]

[REACTION:PRODUCE_STONE_BULLETS]
[NAME:make stone sling bullets]
[BUILDING:<whatever the buildings name is>:CUSTOM_S]
[REAGENT:A:1:STONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:15:ITEM_AMMO_SLING_BULLETS:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[SKILL:STONECRAFT]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:59:18 pm by twichyboy »

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2010, 06:50:53 pm »

Welp. Just got a world with 80 rejects. Come on.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Lairian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2010, 07:00:05 pm »

Oh and here's the witchdoctor/chieftain if needed.

I've merged the witchdoctor into the graphics set above, and added him to the relevant line in the suggested .txt file.  I hope you don't mind.

I'll think about how to differentiate the shaman, or come up with a wholecloth replacement.

is it only me or is everyone elses fur's catching fire and burning away at embark?

Is THAT what exploded into smoke when I picked "Embark Now!"?   :D

Welp. Just got a world with 80 rejects. Come on.

Make worlds with custom parameters, and double your mountain and non-mountain caves.  That fixed the eternal rejects problem for me.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26