Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26

Author Topic: Kobold Camp 2010 ( 0.31.01 ) ( ALPHA 0.3 ) ( UPDATED 06/04 )  (Read 59525 times)

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp 2010 ( 0.31.01 ) ( ALPHA 0.21 )
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2010, 02:50:19 am »

If you wanted, though if you wish to do the self-inflicted rules,  I noticed in Adventure Mode that most caves attach to the massive underground, so make way more caves than titans (Might affect megabeasts as well), make caves visible and embark on a cave site.

That way you can get to the underground and also not have to dig.

I'm trying to think of a tribal/primative-y sounding  stocktaker (broker) so that you can actually know how much stuff you have in stock, though I must say having the "guestimate" numbers for stock can lead to Fun.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 02:54:20 am by Kaelem Gaen »

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2010, 03:09:00 am »

Kick ass :D

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2010, 02:16:47 pm »

I gave Neo-Kobold Camp a shot, and it was pretty fun. I picked a cave site to embark on, hoping to get into the underground... but I didn't check legends first so the locals would be a surprise.

I prepped my 'bolds for a good 30 minutes, checking their personalities, and giving appropriate jobs. I had an archer/hunter, a fighter, an herbalist/doctor, a bonecarver/leatherworker, a digger, a woodcutter/carpenter, and a cook/butcher/fish cleaner. made sure to get plenty of food too.

I embarked right on a small hill, in which the cave was set (it was a little tunnel that wound through it) and the wagon had broken apart, spilling equipment everywhere. As the Kobolds scurried to gather their starting equipment, I saw a fire blazing across the field, as a dragon chased them all around, charring them.

I managed to designate a meeting area FAR away from the cave, and save 4, but a rapidly spreading wildfire threatened to engulf them all.

I assigned them all as diggers, and they dashed to grab shovels, and then dug a trench around a small island of land. They survived the fire in their 5x5 Eden, but soon thereafter ran off to get food to eat... and in so doing caught the attention of the dragon again. While she was chasing the Kobolds around, I assigned a new meeting area deep in the cave, and one lone Kobold, the Fisher/Cook, survived the onslaught and descended, shovel in hand. He bashed gremlins in the head with his shovel, stockpiled trinkets, and eventually found his way down to an Expansive underground cavern, half-flooded, and teeming with cave fish. Things were looking up!

He set about fishing for a while, and managed to avoid any dangerous denizens, but he was growing melencholy from the deaths of all of the others. In a bout of tantrumming, he ran off into the cave, and came up to a deep pit, covered in giant cave spider silk webbing. He managed to get himself tangled in a web, and the Giant Cave Spider living there made pretty short work of him... poor little guys.

As for bugs to report, I noticed that I wasn't able to bring any weapons unless they were autoassigned to the embark profile, since the WEAPONS option wasn't made visible (even though I had enough to cover the cost). Also, and this may be something related to the main game or the Fur beds, but I noticed the availability of fur as well as leather items... the stranger among which were Cave Fish Fur, and Lobster Fur.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2010, 02:21:34 pm »

The fur issue is due to the method I used to add the fur material; by default it's assigned to all animals with skin, everywhere.  The alternative was going through step by step and adding the tanned_fur material to every single entry that should have it.
Also known as Zuhayr.

LordFrank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2010, 03:47:34 pm »

So I started a camp an things are gong great when I realize something. If I hold to the rules and dig only soil how do I get stone to make choppers? Also wouldn't it be fine for them to use copper if they could some how get their hands on it as they do use copper weapons in canon fortress?

Pathos

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2010, 06:37:01 pm »

As for bugs to report, I noticed that I wasn't able to bring any weapons unless they were autoassigned to the embark profile, since the WEAPONS option wasn't made visible (even though I had enough to cover the cost). Also, and this may be something related to the main game or the Fur beds, but I noticed the availability of fur as well as leather items... the stranger among which were Cave Fish Fur, and Lobster Fur.

As someone else mentioned, the fur thing is pretty hard to avoid, without changing files that may get changed by another mod.

Not got a clue about the weapons thing, though. I just realised I had it too. Anyone know how to fix it?

So I started a camp an things are gong great when I realize something. If I hold to the rules and dig only soil how do I get stone to make choppers? Also wouldn't it be fine for them to use copper if they could some how get their hands on it as they do use copper weapons in canon fortress?

On stone: Feel free to dig out the sides of mountains etc. On copper: Of course. The trouble is trading for copper. I still haven't worked out how to only get metals of a certain quality, though.

Pathos

« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2010, 06:39:53 pm »

Seperate post: Should I remove [ITEM_THIEF] from the kobold entity file and replace it with [BABYSNATCHER]? It allows them to actually survive worldgen, and fixes trading problems ( although I have yet to trade, due to how slow my computer runs with the new version ).

Also, does anyone want kobbs to have pets? And possibly more weapons? AND want more stone types to make weapons out of?

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2010, 08:34:54 pm »

I usually do the babysnatcher/item thief switch, because that allows them to trade with Gobbs if they survived world gen.

Pets would be nice,  and I have no clue how to assign "Sharp" or make stones usable for weapons.

And yeah not sure why they can't get weapons at embark, unless they need to have the "Weaponsmith" profession as a permitted job to make weapons.... in fact I'm gonna try that now.

Nope, adding Weaponsmithing (and later) Blacksmithing did not have weapons appear in the Embark options.

I'm wondering what it relies on then.    Might have to try later to throw in Metalcrafting ontop of all the metal based and see, but I'll do that later, got a storm coming in.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:22:34 pm by Kaelem Gaen »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2010, 09:38:48 pm »

Hey, what if we had a sort of domestic animal that's like a large lizard? A komodo or something?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2010, 09:44:46 pm »

Hey! A contribution here;

I have just confirmed through testing that in place of the CAN_SHARP tag, stones are eligible for CAN_STONE in weapon construction by having a MAX_EDGE entry, which overrides the stone template entry.

Obsidian has MAX_EDGE:20000, and we've confirmed that 10000 works while 5000 and below don't. Incidentally, we hit a bug where we made a sword out of silver ore, which has an edge of 10000 naturally from the metal template...

Point is, if you want to do stone modding to add more spear-able stones, then a value between 20000 and 10000 will work just fine on any old stone. Enjoy your 'bolding!
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2010, 10:24:23 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
this is exactly how I assume kobolds work. This is the best story. I can't wait till the bugs in the version are fixed and the game becomes a little more playable.
This will be my first mod!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2010, 10:25:47 pm »

Hey, why don't we make a reaction in the woodcrafter's workshop to make a heavy wood good for clubs?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2010, 11:01:37 pm »

Wonder if we can convince anyone to added in the FLINT clusters to chalk,  since FLINT is better for stone tools than chert itself, there's also a lower-grade FLINT called common chert.... though I guess if you follow the "No stone breaking rule" (which I do for the most part, less likely to break it now that you can do custom workshops) adding a CLUSTER stone is pointless, since I don't know how to set civs to trade boulders.

Also, from the looks of it the only workshops we know for sure can accept custom reactions, are the custom workshops,  the Tanner's shop, Kiln, Smelter,  and Kitchen.

We also know custom reactions can't get quality modifiers either yet.

Also adding in the rest of the metalsmithing metagroup didn't get weapons to show up, there has to be a reason, I might try and make a save where the humans are the playable civ and see if weapons come up (On DF .31)
actually I didn't add in "Armorer" as part of the full metalsmithing metagroup, someone else can try that if they wish.

EDIT:   Interesting thing I've noticed,  all of the civs that have nobles that are  "MILITARY_STRATEGY"  in one of the nobles positions (And Gobbs who have no Nobles but does have "Variable Positions:ALL" in the nobles area.)  can pick weapons at the embark screen, which makes me wonder if I need to add that to one of the nobles and see if that makes it appear.

EDIT2: Blast, didn't work, then again I changed the names but didn't change anything else.  I'm wondering if it's somehow hard-coded, or a side effect of taking caves instead of one of the other start sites.

EDIT3:  Well I never figured out why Weapons appear in the embark menu (In the vanilla game) for every other civ besides the Kobbs and the Animal Man.   But I did set up some military-based nobles so you can actually get the kobolds to stand and fight if you need them to.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 02:34:58 am by Kaelem Gaen »

Pathos

Re: Kobold Camp 2010 ( 0.31.01 ) ( ALPHA 0.3 ) ( UPDATED 06/04 )
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2010, 07:35:09 am »

New version up! We need more testers. Preferably ones with decent PCs.

Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp 2010 ( 0.31.01 ) ( ALPHA 0.3 ) ( UPDATED 06/04 )
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2010, 08:45:19 am »

Has anyone edited the graphics_whatever.txt file yet for any of those graphics sets?

What is in there right now is not all that helpful.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26