Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26

Author Topic: Kobold Camp 2010 ( 0.31.01 ) ( ALPHA 0.3 ) ( UPDATED 06/04 )  (Read 59596 times)

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp 2010 ( 0.31.01 ) ( ALPHA 0.3 ) ( UPDATED 06/04 )
« Reply #180 on: April 16, 2010, 03:48:52 am »

Alright, got 0.8 up tonight with, once again, the link.

Mechanisms are upped to 10%, but the most notable changes are more buildings/reactions. I added in training buildings for healthcare and weapons (healthcare stolen shamelessly from Deon, who may let me know if he'd like it removed which I doubt since he uploaded the healthcare files seperately, and weapons I made from scratch but the concept was still, as far as I can tell, his). The healthcare training I feel was rather necessary since, if your doctor actually gets to a level that isn't malpractice, it probably means the whole camp died.

I also got around to a couple critter reactions, doubly effective in that you won't need refuse piles filled with remains. Oh, and you can cook them for food (testing only yielded iron chops out of roaches, whatever those were. But they were edible and that's what counts). More reactions on vermin may come, depending what I can do. In any case, that's about it for the core reactions.

As for what's next (writing it down half for myself just so I don't forget), I should change the look of a couple buildings that I copy-pasted so they don't all look samey. I still need to set up a fort with a buncha traps and bring an adventurer over to make sure the traps work semi-effectively, and in proportion to each other based on how many mats they use.

I would like to add in some more fluff besides sets of bone reactions that separates kobolds as kobolds, not just primitive diminutive dwarves. An attempt at making specialized creatures as tamable (mounts?) or just use in general. Definitely feel kobolds could stand to be attached to some creature like war dogs. After starting a fort for longer than testing a reaction or 10, it was only winter (or maybe just 1 year had passed) and I got ambushed by 16 elves that mowed through me. Of course I wouldn't have it much other way, and it did seem to be the exception as I've never had such an attack that early, it could get tiresome to have what's effectively a time limit on your fort if you don't have ways to defend.

Maybe different categories of reactions, more cultural sounding weapons (perhaps stone/obsidian aztec style weaponry?) and while I'm at it, food and furniture.

Currently there's a lot of potential for agriculture. I mean, they can grow it, but I'm attached to [BONECARN], as it makes a challenge to get food at higher pops when the fish start dwindling. But as a result, there should be more reason to grow plants, moreso than booze and loincloths.

Anyhow, that's the stuff off the top of my head. Starting to give it much thought now, I'm approaching the one point oh, and I'd like Version 1.0 to be synonymous with Final Version.

Skie

• Bay Watcher
  • ~♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 16, 2010, 07:26:53 am »

Mechanism success rates and building success rates are a great idea. I think I may have to employ (ie steal) that idea for my sergal mod.
Nice to see that progress is being made. I'll give this a try at some point and maybe poke the raws with my eyes for more ideas for my own mod.
Skie, Modmaker cancels modcrafting: Went insane.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 16, 2010, 08:38:59 am »

This may only be very tangentially related, but look what I found.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GRatedSex

See: Trope picture.
!!&!!

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 16, 2010, 10:48:54 am »

Whew, Lagotrope, You're on a roll. I can hardly keep up. I haven't had much time to play recently,but soon (a week or so) i should have plenty of spare time for some (hopefully) long-term camps.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 16, 2010, 01:01:29 pm »

I've put your mod on the Mod list on the wiki:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:List_of_mods

This page was really lacking :)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 16, 2010, 03:09:14 pm »

GAH!!! shame on you Ampersand (grumble grumble tvtropes grumble)

I was trying to work out why they wont trade, is it possible that the civ entity is missing something? also is it possible that the home-civs aren't surviving and this is having an effect?

Throwing weapons are possible, at least they were, make a ranged weapon whos melee dameage and name are the some as the ammo that way they toss them till they have one left(the actual weapon) but ranged weapons are still a little bugged aren't they.

Spoiler: example (click to show/hide)
I dont know how this will function at all in 2010 or how the damage system works but this is sort of how I did Javelins in my 40d one

Edit: just tessted Copper toss hammers and they seem to work in arena, except they train spear user... :-\

Edit2:whoops It appears that I somehow put my Throwing Hammers into the middle of the primitive spears... I have no clue how I did that. it works fine
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 03:37:51 pm by Bloogonis »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 16, 2010, 03:19:32 pm »

Is the related skill set to "Spear"? You may be able to set it to "Throwing". Also, I was pondering something like this, but had a clunkier solution using a Bandolier "Weapon" that was equipped, and fired throwing knives/hammers, etc. It worked for the AI too, but was a strange abstraction, since the Bandolier shouldn't have been held in a hand, and I was hoping to be able to use it 1-handed.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 16, 2010, 03:46:53 pm »

Good point on the possibility of throwing weapons, Bloo. I'll be putting that in the next version. As far as trading goes, I have no idea, I've still had no luck whatsoever. I haven't given up completely on it since I haven't tried every possible solution. I've tried though a number of times genning a world just to year 1~10, so unless kobolds die off THAT fast, I don't think that's the issue. It'll be on my to-do list, though.

I've got a fair bout of work this weekend, but I'll see be moving it along. Thanks for the feedback, everyone

This may only be very tangentially related, but look what I found.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GRatedSex

See: Trope picture.

Wow, I remember seeing that being drawn on the Ruby Quest paintchat. That brings me back.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 03:49:41 pm by Lagotrope »

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 16, 2010, 03:54:05 pm »

The bandoleer is simply a quiver you rap around yourself, my version it simply appears that the person using the weapon just does not throw that last one. and stores the extras(ammo) in a quiver and should work conceptually for any throwing weapon. I'm not sure how the differences in damage for weapons and ammo work so that probably needs a fix.

About making the trained skill throwing, that makes sense. I don't know if there will be problems with that for the different modes though. will test it out. I should probably make a new thread just to not flood this with my tests of throwing weapons.

Vulkanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 16, 2010, 03:58:09 pm »

Wait, shouldn't Kobolds breed and grow-up faster due to the fact that their much weaker?

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 16, 2010, 04:11:45 pm »

Wait, shouldn't Kobolds breed and grow-up faster due to the fact that their much weaker?

Yes, and unless my raws are lying to me, they do.

Hikaratu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 16, 2010, 05:28:10 pm »

Is there any possibility of getting a list of reactions in the custom workshops? And is there supposed to be a way to get stone for bolds, since you gave them can_stone weapons to make? Just curious =P

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 16, 2010, 05:39:54 pm »

Is there any possibility of getting a list of reactions in the custom workshops? And is there supposed to be a way to get stone for bolds, since you gave them can_stone weapons to make? Just curious =P

Kobolds can't mine most stone, but you CAN mine both obsidian and chert, the catch is that you'd have to find those deposits on edges or in caves.

Here's the current list of reactions for kobolds for the custom buildings, minus the health training.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Though I could have redirected you to the raw/objects folder, and it's under reaction_kobold.txt.

In other news, I plopped down version 0.81, this one includes throwing hammers and toss hammers, the toss hammer is the "bow" of the set, the throwing hammer is the actual projectile. I was going to add a couple other things but it didn't work so well, so it's not exactly a critical release, but what the hell.

Hikaratu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 16, 2010, 06:02:05 pm »

Thanks, and sounds good. Done any testing with them? It'd be nice if they managed to more reliably get and use their ammo than bow/sling users xD Though I doubt it.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 16, 2010, 06:30:11 pm »

I tested them to make sure the reactions worked, only flaw is that creating a rock toss hammer consumes 1 stone and 1 wood. It'd be fine, but it uses the wood last, so it always considers it to be a wooden toss hammer. However, this is an issue with all rock weapons through the craftsbolds shop, so I'll likely take out the [CAN_STONE] on it, and just use reactions.
The throwing hammers work fine through, stacks of 15 per stone, made of stone.

But for kobolds actually using them? That's a pretty big military issue right now, not something that can be remedied through modding. I'm hoping that Toady will soon get around to fixing these military AI bugs.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26