Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26

Author Topic: Kobold Camp 2010 ( 0.31.01 ) ( ALPHA 0.3 ) ( UPDATED 06/04 )  (Read 59595 times)

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp 2010 ( 0.31.01 ) ( ALPHA 0.3 ) ( UPDATED 06/04 )
« Reply #165 on: April 12, 2010, 04:19:27 pm »

Glad to hear you like it, Calhoun~ but yes, I believe even dwarves do the same stuff, hunters have always been abysmal at logistics. If I recall right, there's also an issue in which if you equip them with shields, they'll pay little mind to the finely crafted sword in hand and start bashing each other with said shields.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 12, 2010, 04:44:46 pm »

Heh, well I have a Witch Doctor for a reason.

I'll keep you posted about any caravan's (As the camp progresses)

EDIT: It seems that deer are tough opponents for Kobolds, As he's already a a Master fighter and swordsbold, though using his bow he'll never do more than bruise.

EDIT2: Ugh, i forgot about the hospital zone removal crash bug. Lost it all. Blech, will play again soon, but not today.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 06:07:32 pm by Calhoun »
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 13, 2010, 12:56:42 am »

IMHO it could be that the caravan gets killed on the way, it happened WAY too often in te previous version. Try embarking just next to a kobold cave and see if it helps
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2010, 01:53:52 am »

WHICH previous version? Like 23a? Cause as far as I'm 99% in 40D (And 31.01/.02) Caravans are generated.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 13, 2010, 02:11:45 am »

I've been reading other forums and It seems Carvans take longer to show up now.    Even on dwarves,  someone said upward of 3 years I think before they got there first caravan, though that's not entirely true I got one in late autumn (vanilla DF) on a dwarf fort, but It had no wagon.

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 13, 2010, 04:37:07 am »

WHICH previous version? Like 23a? Cause as far as I'm 99% in 40D (And 31.01/.02) Caravans are generated.

Really?  :o
I'm pretty sure that in previous Kobold Camp caravans not always arrived, too. And I think that one can find caravans moving around in adventure mode.
Could be entirely wrong, though, I'm not certain about this.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 13, 2010, 05:03:34 am »

Indeed, as of 40d, the caravans I'm also sure were spawned as needed. Seems like it'll be awhile before Toady gets caravans moving on the map again, so I doubt getting killed on the way was a problem now. Strange you had trouble with previous version caravans as well, Roqi, I usually had them coming regularly. Although that's good to know Kaelem, since I hadn't ran too many forts past 3 years. I did it again just awhile ago through the first three years though, still nothing, so I'm just thinking there won't be any trading in this mod version. Thanks everyone for input. Moving on, then...

I've just put up a newer version using DF 31.03, and apparently removing zones with buildings inside has been fixed. Link is http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2071

As for differences with the kobolds, I've added in wooden mechanisms as a big part, other stuff is in the changelog at the above link.

Today I spent quite a bit of time looking at reactions, but it was rather disappointing in that most of what I found out is what I CAN'T do. I'll keep looking around, and some may be possible, some things may be hardcoded too deep. Since it's not in the changelog or dffd page, I'll mention my rambling intentions here.

First off, vermin reactions. I've been able to -produce- vermins out of a reaction as a product, but I don't know how to use vermins as a reagent. Not entirely sure though what I'll do once I do figure it out, perhaps use the custom workshop as a butcher for vermin, since fishing and hunting only works for so large a population (the kobolds are [bonecarn] in this mod, agriculture is for brewing/clothmaking mostly.

Then there's poison, the most disappointing I found. I had it all laid out, you'd capture a poisonous vermin, go extract the poison and combine it with any wood to create a seperate wood entry that had syndrome attached. This wood could/would/should have been used to create trap components that poison an enemy on contact. However, this only seemed to work in the case of say the coal mod, in which it (as far as the game was concerned) literally blew up to create the gas. A material normally, however, cannot pass sickness to someone even with [SYN_CONTACT], even slashing through them. It generally was made to be passed through organic injection via creature attacks, I suppose. I'll still keep an eye out for ways to make trap components more interesting than a few different stats of the same fundamentals, though.

Also, [SLOW_LEARNER] and [SKILL_RATE:#:#:#], which the wiki insists exists, never seemed to change anything. Would have like to add that in for a bit more challenge, perhaps it'll be fixed in these weekly updates.

That's it for things that should have been but weren't. Again, I'll keep a mind on those, but till then I'm going to move to reactions that I DO know how to make work, and will likely move onto a Scrimshawing building, maybe a way to make more shovels since, without trade, what you start with is all you get.

This ended up a lot longer than I thought though, so I'll wrap it up. Again, comments are welcome, and given that it's 3 AM to make a very likely chance that I screwed something up, let me know about any problems and I'll fix it asap.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 13, 2010, 06:05:20 am »

You know I'm looking through your raws and I'm noticing you have the Kobolds  Prog-trigger-trade to 0 instead of 1,  I think that makes it so they never show up in this version, I could be wrong though.

I'm gonna turn it on and see if I get a kobold trader

Actually compairing to dwarves in DF 2010, it might be the fact that you actually have a progress trigger set up,  I'm gonna try removing the progress trigger for that  kobbs and see what happens.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 06:34:34 am by Kaelem Gaen »

Gobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 13, 2010, 07:47:54 am »

I feel a bit distant from the new version at the moment so I'm afraid I can't comment too in-depth, but you're right on track with the quick-maturation aspect of Kobolds.
In fact, in the original version, a Kobold went from baby to child at age 1 year, and child to adult at age 2 years.

2 years from birth to full adulthood. Kobolds grow up quickly -- largely out of necessity.
You'll never be able to look at the chains in your Fortress the same way again.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 13, 2010, 10:34:29 am »

Awesome work, Lagotrope. Downloading now.

Not quite sure how i feel about being able to use mechanisms, but I s'pose i don't Have to.

Glad to see the age's drop. Seems bettter that way.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 13, 2010, 01:27:27 pm »

Indeed, the quick adulthood this time was actually based on the old kobold camp. I especially wanted it this way in part because the [litter_size] tag is gone, so kobolds only give birth to 1-3 (never seen 4 anyway), as opposed to the 2-6 in classic kobold camp.

And to be honest Calhoun I'm not sure how I feel about mechanisms either, ideally I could have limited the uses to plain, simple traps instead of linked levers and pressure plates and such things. Instead I'm leaning to making mechanisms harder. Either have to make them out of bone, or make them difficult to make (5% chance of success, so you'd have to consume a lot of wood to get each one) with a higher success rate using bone.

And you may be right Kaelem that having the kobolds have progress triggers set up may conflict with them coming to you, since dwarves normally don't have those. According to the wiki, the range goes from 0-5, the lower values indicating lower requirements of population, production etc. Theoretically from that, it means something would come to you immediately with 0 instead of a little bit with 1. All this was something I wanted to test out, but then I noticed 31.03 was out I got impatient. There'll be more tweaks anyhow. If you find out something new, it'd be one less thing on my mind.

Thanks for the feedback, everybody (and I love your cutebold strips, Gobbo.)

Edit: I just reread the posts here now that I'm actually awake, and have realized that all this time I thought that the tags [BABY:1][CHILD:2] would mean they would go from birth to child in 1 year, then child to adult in 2 years after they became children, leading to a total of 3 years from birth to adulthood. God knows why I thought it like that. Kobolds in this version go from birth to adulthood in 2 years, not the 3 that the changelog would have one believe.

Double edit: And 0.7 (it jumped a few) is up. Most significant changes are that mechanisms now have a very low (6%) chance of success. It's a crude fix, but certainly makes one think twice about making say a water reservoir (which requires 6 mechanisms, ir around 100 wood barring good or bad luck).

Also added a scrimshawer, from which you can craft weapons (mostly shovels), though the effectiveness in battle is untested. Also added bone armor, including shields and helms. Both use shells, and given that shells may be easiest to come across via turtles, I couldn't help but picture it...

It's a shame you can't have them use throwing hammers.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:46:34 pm by Lagotrope »

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2010, 03:09:25 pm »

Great stuff. About the Mechanisms, It seems they are more of a representation of mechanical know-how rather then then an actual part. With DF Bolds fluff having them as being trap users it makes sense that they would use them. but just like with digging it would require the restraint of the player.

That being said, the less restraint needed on the players end the better, has the Stone shatter thing to make it hard to dig into rock been done yet? I volunteer my time if it hasn't. (Edit: derp, I see that it has)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 03:16:48 pm by Bloogonis »

Hikaratu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 15, 2010, 09:07:55 pm »

Loving the mod, I played 40d 'bold camp tons, and I'm liking the 2010 iteration of it alot as well. Now that that's out of the way, can anyone explain this? I couldn't get him for the life of me to drop the pond grabber tunic/rope reed loincloth, he was just picking up the stuff I assigned him to wear and droppign it, then walking away from the pile and back to it and repeating the process. I spotted the [Wear over clothing] option and switched it to [Replace clothing] while slapping myself in the forhead, expected him to replace the old stuff with the specified stuff instead he wore the specified stuff along with the old stuff AND an additional set of the specified stuff. I also did Exact matches instead of partial matches just before that but that didn't change anything. The kobold is currently training happily with this equipment setup o.o;;

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 15, 2010, 09:53:37 pm »

I've had similar issues, at least with weapons. I think the whole equipment dropping AI is rather borked at the time, and the fact it has to do with military makes it doubly so. Normally I'd suggest trying out dumping his stuff, and that would work if this were 40d, but after a quick try I confirmed that no longer works for the time being. It stinks, but at the time I'd chalk it up to being one of the issues with the current release.

Hikaratu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 15, 2010, 10:06:34 pm »

Yea I tried dumping and everything, I was used to equipping stuff in 40d, but as you say it doesn't work now. I guess I'll just deal with the buggy equipment system for this release. Fortunately I think him managing to triple layer his clothing is probably more helpful than hurtful xD
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26