Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26

Author Topic: Kobold Camp 2010 ( 0.31.01 ) ( ALPHA 0.3 ) ( UPDATED 06/04 )  (Read 59572 times)

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp 2010 ( 0.31.01 ) ( ALPHA 0.3 ) ( UPDATED 06/04 )
« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2010, 12:04:21 am »

I think pantheon might be the only way to go now, as I'm not sure forces are moddable yet (which is why the elves' forces all are associated with rivers and forests or whatever).
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 09, 2010, 04:03:57 am »

If that's the case, then okay.

So anyone working on porting it to 31.02 (as easy as it might be, 'cept for the code-fixes, there were a few raw fixes and stuff included)

Also anyone gonna edited the kobold descriptors to match the Cutebold style kobb?

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2010, 07:48:53 am »

Inspired by Kobold Quest, I had been thinking that it might be interesting to give Kobolds Pets which are specific to their civilization: Bugs. The idea would be that the cave dwelling kobolds breed and keep a variety of insects for use around the home, like in Toady's earlier game where you played a Kobold using poisonous bugs to defend your cave from adventurers.

The bugs could be organized into Castes with a Breeder (female) caste, a Drone (male caste) & a variety of other non-gendered castes which have different functions. Shamblers could be large and serve as food/beasts of burden/mounts, Stalkers could be small slightly venomous Verminhunters, Rippers could be Warrior bugs slightly smaller than kobold size & Firebrands could be small bugs which spray out a scalding hot mild poison at enemies.

I know the goal of Kobold Camp is to increase the difficulty and having a variety of pets might make it easier, but I also think that they increase the interesting Flavor of Kobold civilization & provide for interesting new reactions.

Haggle

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarves are pretty good at dying
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2010, 09:29:07 am »

Also anyone gonna edited the kobold descriptors to match the Cutebold style kobb?

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I indeed do have a description for my kobolds which I tried to get as close to kobolds in Gobbos pictures.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's in the spoiler below in case you want it, but it's not perfect. I'm still thinking on adding a few things like a tail description... or something. If you are going to use it, remember that it goes into the creature_standard.txt in the objects folder. Just replace everything from [CASTE:FEMALE] and below in the kobold entry with this junk. :-\

Oh, btw. The god he worships is associated with caverns... becuase that's what kobolds like, right?

« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 09:33:53 am by Haggle »

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2010, 02:23:03 am »

I was thinking the light grey furred versions.  However, what did you set up the kobb religion with....or wait is that in your spoilered raws -double checks-

Pathos

« Reply #155 on: April 10, 2010, 10:26:11 am »

If anyone wants to take over, feel free. I'm not that great a modder. =p

Haggle

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarves are pretty good at dying
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2010, 11:16:08 am »

I was basing all my descriptive efforts off one of gobbo's kobold images.

I think it would be best that I just post my entire kobold entry from the creature_standard.txt, and just give you a download link to a .txt with the entry in it.
EDIT: I forgot to mention that I added a +1 to their disease_resistance and gave them 4 fingers instead of 5. Their linguistics is also -3 instead of unattainable.

download

Also I associated my kobold's religions in the entity_default.txt with food, hunting, the moon, dance, jewels, blight, caverns... and rainbows.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 11:21:51 am by Haggle »

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 11, 2010, 11:45:46 am »

So who's gonna take over?  I'm only good at doing bits and pieces... plus I'm not sure how exactly to use DF 31.02 changes in conjuction with the various raw changes in the main mod.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #158 on: April 11, 2010, 04:11:01 pm »

I may slightly kinda maybe be sorta interested in taking over, but I don't know that it would be such a great idea.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 11, 2010, 05:06:42 pm »

Nobody NEEDs to take over. Why don't we all just contribute, and Pathos manages it (If he want's to).
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 12, 2010, 01:29:21 am »

Well, I've been toying around with modding and ended up loading up much of the content given by this thread for 0.31.02, graphics playing no small part. The details are in the DFFD description.

As for the graphics, I ended up using Haggle's sprite sheet - I'm one who's used to seeing them as greyish, but Haggle's seems most complete and still follows a good style I think. Though, I did have to move some kobolds around the bmp and tweak it (modding the graphics in was like pulling teeth. I'd barely change anything and it would all fall apart, I still have no idea why, but I stopped touching it as soon as it worked.)

Aside from the rambling, if I've used anyone's work that they wish for me to remove (or one Pathos feels like I'm stepping on his toes by hijacking this) just let me know and I'll take appropriate action.

All that said, for those who care to give it a whirl, the link:  http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2071

And as mentioned in the desc, if there's a problem, give me a tipoff and I'll see about fixing it.

EDIT: OH I forgot to plop a general question out there: I've ran through a good number of bold forts, several of which lasted a year and should have at at least one measly caravan come by. Yet I've NEVER seen one, be it the raw version of pathos' mod or mine or any point inbetween. It's just been about 3 waves of migrants that get me to about 20 kobolds before stopping entirely with no attractions, and that's the extent of outside world contact. My elongated question being, is the lack of caravans an isolated incident that no one else has had, or just all around? And yes, I've made a habit of checking neighbors before embarking, so the lack of other civ's isn't a problem.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 01:54:38 am by Lagotrope »

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 12, 2010, 02:54:42 am »

You might not be getting carvans because of item thief, I could be wrong though, you also don't have a hoardmaster/liason, but I have no clue if a liason is a requirement for caravans,  since I know the Gobbs don't have one but can trade if they're not trying to kill the kobbs.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 12, 2010, 03:15:25 pm »

Hey Haggle, just so you know, anything outside of brackets in the raws is a comment; changing "unattainable" to "---" isn't going to have any effect. To make that difference work, edit the MENTAL_AT_RANGE:LINGUISTIC_ABILITY tag and change the arguments from zero to something else. I'd recommend copying the values for memory.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 12, 2010, 04:01:30 pm »

Thanks for the ideas Kaelem, but I've had no luck. Item thief has been on and off for me, and I do have a hoardmaster (under a different name anyhow). I put in a liason to see how it goes, but all he managed to do was keep interrupting me for a caravan that never comes.

It would be beneficial though to know, so I mention again, if someone could confirm whether or not they've ever gotten caravans with a kobold civ (though the caravan could be from any race) so I know if it's just me.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 12, 2010, 04:09:01 pm »

Lagotrope, This is AWESOME. Just started out, and i'm lovin' it.

Only issue is my hunter, despite having a quiver, and arrows in his quiver, still want's to bash the deer to death. But i'm pretty sure that's just one of the MANY bugs with hunting right now.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26