Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bodyparts  (Read 1308 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bodyparts
« on: April 03, 2010, 02:18:40 pm »

Rename eye teeth as fangs. Let's face it, you only went with eye teeth to make sure the game was as inaccessible as possible.

Butchering should not yield hair. Hair removal is the job of the tanner. Butchers shaving cows, aside from being weird as all hell, removes the possibility of fur clothing being implemented.

Separate thymus and pancreas into new butchering products and get rid of sweetbread as a term. Again, accessibility.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Bodyparts
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 04:07:33 am »

Ah yes, having the thymus and the pancreas as discrete objects will do wonders for accessibility.

But really, sweetbread is a pretty common term as far as that sort of thing goes.

Likewise, eyeteeth aren't always fangs.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 10:45:44 am »

Eyetooth, canine tooth of the upper jaw. Unless Wikipedia and my dictionary site are both wrong, eyeteeth are in fact fangs. There's just the seemingly meaningless distinction of the bit coming from the upper jaw.

I wager more people would know what pancreas and thymus are (or at least guess their nature if not their function) as opposed to people who immediately think of internal organs when someone talks about "sweet bread". At the very least there has to be a descriptive text if there isn't one already.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 01:17:55 pm »

Eye teeth should most definitely be changed. I don't like changing sweetbread, though. Head Cheese should be added to compliment it.

HeliumFreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 04:20:53 pm »

+1 vote for changing eye teeth. When i first saw it i was going to post in the bugs forum before i decided to google it. Also +1 for the sweet bread change... Theres times when being analy accurate is nice, and times (like the OP said) that its just plain unnecessary making the game as inaccessible/nerdy/elitist/steepasslearningcurve as possible

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 04:56:25 pm »

When I think "fangs," I think vampires.  Canines would be alright, but in a game that relies on textual description over graphics, I think we're all better off without fanged dwarves running around.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 05:02:10 pm »

Yeah, sorry, I don't think fangs is really accurate and I think it would give people the wrong impression.

I don't say "I have fangs."  When I think of dwarves, I don't really think of them having fangs.  Fangs are things for vampires and snakes and spiders.  I dunno.

I could see him using 'canine,' but that seems more scientific and less 'medieval' then 'eyetooth,' which has been used for a long time.  Also, I didn't realize that 'eyetooth' was at all inaccessible.

If it really bugs people, one thing he could do is just eliminate the different teeth names altogether, and have 'top front tooth, top middle tooth, top back tooth,' or something.  Though probably he could have 'top molar' because I'm pretty sure that 'molar,' at least, isn't too inaccessible.  But I could be wrong.  I didn't realize either 'eyetooth' or 'sweetbreads' were not-common-usage.  But then again, there are a lot of non-English-speakers that play DF, so maybe words like 'eyetooth' or 'molar' are too obscure.

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 05:31:31 pm »

Not everything that has canine teeth/eye teeth has _fangs_. Humans, for instance, have canines but not fangs.

And generally in culinary usage, you wouldn't say "We're having pancreas tonight!" Note that if a creature gets injured, it does say its pancreas gets injured. Sweetbread only appears when it's being used for food. Which would be correct usage, IIRC.
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 01:22:47 pm »

Should probably use the full name; "canine tooth," otherwise it could be mixed up with dogs popping out of your mouth. As for molars, there'd be little confusion. Even if you don't know what a molar is, you'd probably go find out. I'm not against technical terms, I'd just prefer if obscure, confusing terms weren't used. Sweetbread might see use somewhere, hard to tell since I'm not a native speaker. At the very least needs a descriptive text, even if I personally feel that calling internal organs bread is about the worst thing you can do as far as accessibility goes. But for eyeteeth, you start wondering if the new bodyraws are broken. As far as I can tell, canine teeth is a more common term and should be used.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 02:43:15 pm »

What about the sweet meats, the baals. (not a typo, it's there to show the correct pronunciation in this particular context).

I think everything should have whatever the most awesome name is for that part of the body.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 01:41:38 pm »

Different cuts of meat would be nice, yes.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 01:54:31 pm »

So, we remove eyeteeth and put in rump?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 02:20:32 pm »

We rename eyeteeth into canine teeth and add in cuts. What they'd be called is another matter, different countries have different names. They should probably called something akin to "Cow Meat (Chuck)" with the description text explaining what the cut is from.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 04:28:10 pm »

I... didn't see anything confusing about eyeteeth at all.
Perhaps it's a regional type thing...

Had to google sweetbread, though. ;D

Needs more rocky mountain oysters, though...!
JUST FOR UTTER CONFUSION!
MWAHAHAHA~
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 04:37:47 pm »

I'm not a native speaker but have a large vocabulary.

I didn't find eye teeth at all confusing (as in I've heard the term before) but had never even heard of sweetbread.

I'm not sure either needs changing though, this game is a good way to learn new things  :)
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."
Pages: [1] 2