Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Prep for surgery! stat!  (Read 7411 times)

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prep for surgery! stat!
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 12:29:29 pm »

If you build a Container in your Hospital Zone, the Dwarfs will put the buckets in it. There might be something up with storage capacities though, as Dwarfs can't seem to fit more than one crutch into a single chest.

They also can't fit Plaster into it full stop. Maybe someone needs to tell them "Yo dorf, I heard you like plaster, so I put a bag in your bag so you can plaster while you're plastered."

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 12:35:53 pm »

Aw damn. I built a fort just to test out the hospital and set up a cave-in to injure some dofs. The dorf that was underneath was crushed instantly and the one that fell broke most of his body and died on the way to the hospital ;o;

Looks like it's time to enlist some more miners
puppywhirrrrrrl

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 01:46:11 pm »

I've had a lot more experience with my hospital after surviving a forgotten creature and 3 goblin invasions. 

As far as I can tell:
Doctors see their patient "in order".  He won't cure the next one until the first one is cured.   They will work in parallel, to some extent, I can have one doctor suturing a patient while another is "dressing wounds". 

The main bug: Doctors repeatedly try to perform suturing, dressing, etc. even after a wound has healed naturally.  I believe they are stuck with the original diagnosis.  There was one injured dwarf who they tried to suture over and over, while ignoring other patients.  I could see that he had 4 sutures applied by looking at his inventory, and that never increased.  Feeding and watering to all patients would still happen (usually).

Also, I made some gypsum bags but they were never carried into the hospital or used.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 02:07:16 pm »

In my experience neither powder nor soap gets carried over to the hospital.

I can see what you're describing, axus, but I think both natural and medical healing might be bugged as well in some situations*. The dwarf I mentioned earlier, the one getting constant wound-dressing for years, hasn't healed naturally at all either. The one with fractures in his finger (red wounds) hasn't naturally healed either, and might never get proper treatment if the doctors remain stuck in their dressing loop.

*Wildly speculating here, but maybe medical treatment stops natural healing in its tracks on purpose, so that wounds behave differently once procedures are completed. But given treatment itself tend to get bugged, some dwarves remain forever wounded.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2010, 02:42:15 pm »

For these "stuck" doctors, does it help if you save/exit and reload? How about if you put them in a squad, give them an order to do something, and then disband the squad?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2010, 08:24:37 pm »

Saving and reloading doesn't help: it's an issue that's been going for several play sessions. I haven't tried military assignments, but I did try to allow other dwarves to dress the ever-wounded one. Didn't help. The doctors are otherwise living their lives.

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2010, 08:38:49 pm »

Would it be possible to make dwarfs carry gypsum to the hospital zone by designating a mini-stockpile for plaster power within the zone?
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode

robot_spider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2010, 08:47:33 pm »

My hospitals have never had problems.

But I have my dwarves set to be [SPEED:1]. Maybe medical stuff is just REALLY SLOW, because I'm always having miners break legs and stuff in cave-ins, and the doctor always fixes them up, cleaning and dressing and suturing and bone-setting with no problem. They get up and about with fractured legs and crutches and splints, and they heal over time. I haven't tried anything with casts, though.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2010, 01:28:38 am »

*Wildly speculating here, but maybe medical treatment stops natural healing in its tracks on purpose, so that wounds behave differently once procedures are completed. But given treatment itself tend to get bugged, some dwarves remain forever wounded.
I can confirm that, I've had a dwarf suture a certain wounded dwarf about 20 times and he still is in his bed with a brown wound.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2010, 12:08:00 pm »

I can confirm that, I've had a dwarf suture a certain wounded dwarf about 20 times and he still is in his bed with a brown wound.
Are you sure he's actually finished the task? Does the wounded dwarf's treatment history show him as being sutured? Or did he start the task and never finish it?
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2010, 12:26:27 pm »

Are you sure he's actually finished the task? Does the wounded dwarf's treatment history show him as being sutured? Or did he start the task and never finish it?
He didn't have it in his medical history, but the doc wasn't interupted, he just walked away with 'no job'.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2010, 12:49:45 pm »

I've got surgery working fine. I have a hospital zone with 2 beds, 2 coffers and a bag, a table. My cheif medical dwarf has all the medical skills, and no other dwarf has the labours enabled. I've fully healed several dwarves with different wounds. Some things I've noticed are:
You do not need soap. The "clean wound" treatment works with a bucket of water. Perhaps soap decreases the chance of infection, but it's not necessary.
Bones can be set without casts. I'm not really sure how this works. I've never made powder for casts, but the "set bone" treatment can still be done fine, followed with immobilisation by splints.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2010, 01:01:30 pm »

I think casts are supposed to be for compound fractures - things that'd need a traction bench.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2010, 01:32:24 pm »

Same as my constant-dressing problem. I'm guessing the doctors never finish their task properly, so they have to redo it over and over again.

matthiaspaco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2010, 09:43:31 am »

I'm having this problem with a dorf that has a compound fracture in his right third finger as well as tissue damage. He has been cleaned, but he needs surgery, sutures, and dressing. I've had several dorfs perform surgery on him, but they never seem to finish because Surgeon cancels Surgery: Patient not resting

It sucks too because he's my militia commander.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4