Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Prep for surgery! stat!  (Read 7416 times)

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
Re: Prep for surgery! stat!
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 06:33:56 pm »

a little off topic, but how do you get powder for hospitals?

While looking through the raws, I saw that a Kiln can make some powders.  I haven't tried it yet.

khantin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 07:31:48 pm »

thanks guys, I'll keep my eye out for some gypsum and build a kiln too.

One of my original 7 has a broken shoulder from a fight with a troll.

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 09:22:49 pm »

I havent gotten everything to work yet, but in my last fort (where 6 goblins made 20 dwarves bedridden handily before getting chewed to death by puppies), I was able to get my surgeon doing sutures and surgery.

Notes:
You must have a "i" zone "Hospital" designated over some beds
You must have at least one container (chest/bag) constructed inside the hospital zone
You must have threads, cloth, etc loaded into those containers for them to be used effectively

It seems also as though the "help your wounded friends" commands are pretty far down on the list of important stuff to do, so I actually had to get my doctor set to only do doctory things and retrieve wounded for them to stop carrying loose bolts to the ammo stockpile and start healing the wounded.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 10:16:13 pm »

I keep a huge stock pile of everything needed, from cloth too thread, to soap, to cast plaster and crutches and splints.

My hospital is preforming BEAUTIFULLY. I had two guys with red injuries (arm and hand for one, leg and foot for the other), and they were out in a SEASON. Of course, I turned off all other types of work for my chief medical dwarf, so maybe that's why.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 10:49:29 pm »

I saw in the stones menu that alabaster can be used for plaster too.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 09:43:50 am »

Okay, so obviously some people's hospitals are working and others are not.

Does anyone have any idea what the deciding factor seems to be? I too have a dwarf that's needed surgery for a while(most of a year). The hospital is designated; the only thing it doesn't have stocked is powder(as seen on the bug tracker, I tweaked the raws so soap is made in bars, not globs, and it was able to stock that). It has both a table and a traction bench. Does the table need to be directly beside the bed or something?
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 10:11:56 am »

Is there a workshop order or something you issue to make the plaster?
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 01:49:01 pm »

It's done at a kiln(or magma kiln). "Make plaster powder". Requires a suitable rock, and an empty bag.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 09:53:19 pm »

I've been having problems with medicine in general. A doctor did perform surgery on a dwarf with a double compound fracture on his finger (?!), but there was no healing despite at least a month or two of operation. The doctor was a proficient surgeon, too!

Also, non-surgery related, I have a trapper who got wounded two years ago; his few (yellow) wounds just require dressing, and so far they've been dressed (or at least skilled-enough dorfs have been dressing them) many times without any healing taking place.

Ryven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2010, 01:44:41 am »

My miner was injured in a cave-in while building a skylight over my meeting room, breaking her right shoulder, arm, wrist, hand, leg, ankle, and foot. Some heroic dwarf quickly carried her to a bed, and she began Resting. I quickly assigned a couple dwarves to be doctors and began constructing a hospital. Before I finished, my brewer-turned-doc Cancelled Perform Surgery: Patient not resting, and sure enough I checked and poor Ushrir had stopped Resting and was just lying there with No Job. My hospital now has a bed, a traction bench, a bag, a table, a bucket, and a splint, and I'm working on getting plaster (cloth and thread are probably out of my reach for the near future, so it probably won't do any good, but whatever) and soap.

Ushrir's bleeding has stopped and the bruising has gone down, but she's still Pale and my doc is ignoring her. Think there's any hope?

Edit: On a lighter note, did you know that having the floor cave-in under you trains Armor User and Dodger?
Edit edit: Actually, no, that was probably when I had her kill a groundhog. Never mind.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 01:54:19 am by Ryven »

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2010, 01:55:07 am »

Edit: On a lighter note, did you know that having the floor cave-in under you trains Armor User and Dodger?
Edit edit: Actually, no, that was probably when I had her kill a groundhog. Never mind.
Immigrants also come with fighting skills much more often now so he/she might've had it already.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Ryven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 02:04:46 am »

So I appointed my doc Chief Medical Dwarf, which unlocked the health screen. That screen is surprisingly detailed considering the doc has no prior medical experience. It seems we've stopped because we can't proceed without cloth and thread (we need to suture her wounds and immobilize the limbs), but I'm not sure where to get any; I only have a few pig tail seeds. It's a new fort, and I was too distracted trying to set up floodable farms to produce crafts, so if the traders come and bring some I may have to seize their goods. There's no way to get a wagon up to my base at the moment, so I hope they'll hoof it up on foot...

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 06:29:36 am »

My mayor broke a leg in a cave in, and spent a few months in hospital. The chief medical officer even placed him in traction (although he didn't move him from his bed to the traction bench; I think it's  functional with no "animation" so to speak of yet).
He subsequently got up of his own accord to feed himself, even though he still has a red, broken leg. He's now going about his business of making mechanisms and managing work orders, so I'm assuming that his leg's in plaster.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 12:09:30 pm »

He's now going about his business of making mechanisms and managing work orders, so I'm assuming that his leg's in plaster.

That reminds me of something: how do we know if a specific body part has been dressed or put in plaster? Is that information supposed to appear in the dwarf's wounds screen?

Also, how do you put buckets in a hospital? Are they 'buildable' or do I have to create mini-stockpiles?

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 12:12:11 pm »

My dwarves won`t store powder in the hospital. Neither will my doc perform any other operation than cleaning the wounds- He`s standing next to a bedridden dwarf, who needs 3 surgeries, for almost a year now. The "u"nit screen shows that he seems to perform a surgery, but he doesn`t.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4