Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [DF 0.31.01] Woodcutting Bug  (Read 3328 times)

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
[DF 0.31.01] Woodcutting Bug
« on: April 03, 2010, 12:54:11 pm »

I suddenly cannot get anyone in my fortress to chop trees, no matter how hard I try. When I started my fortress my woodcutter was more than willing to chop trees, now no one at all will chop down a single tree. I have about 5 idle dwarves with woodcutting enabled, an unequipped copper battle axe in the weapon stockpile, and reachable trees designated to be cut. I have tried restarting the game, redesignating the trees, and reenabling woodcutting labor for several dwarves.

Hondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DF 0.31.01] Woodcutting Bug
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 01:10:11 pm »

This happened to me too, and eventually it unbroke on its own but I don't know why. It might have been caused by the apparent pathfinding or jobs bug.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 02:35:39 pm »

Got the same for my miners. http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=52464.0

I didnt go away though.

Steely Glint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 02:38:50 pm »

I've seen this too. My primary miners seem to be functioning well, but when I add new miners they're flaky in this same way (not getting picks, or just sitting idle). I've noticed a similar problem with my mason crew who are supposed to be building a long wall, but build one wall segment and spend most of their time standing around with "no job" in the wilderness.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 04:16:46 pm »

I have tried every fix people on the IRC have suggested to me, and even though they may work for some, none have worked for me. I have no other apparent bugs, though I did have a similar bug with mining last night (that went away, thankfully). I think I will just keep the save for this fortress and continue it in a future patched version of the game.

darkfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 07:09:33 pm »

This is the pathing bug that everyone has been talking about. They can't path to the trees after a season or two. You have to save and reload your game.

Which fixes it, for a while.

bigos

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Use by:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 03:33:21 pm »

I have tried every fix people on the IRC have suggested to me, and even though they may work for some, none have worked for me.

I've got the same problem. What fixes were suggested to you? It would be cool if you post them, they could work for me (or anyone experiencing this bug) too.

edit: Oh, and save/reload isn't working for me, unfortunately ;(.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:41:48 pm by bigos »
"What do you think about modern civilization"
"That would be a great idea!"
--- interview with Mahatma Gandhi, during his first visit to London.

Water Hazard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 04:39:41 pm »

I had a similar problem. But eventually I traded for some wood and had my carpenter make a training axe, which was apparently good enough for my woodcutter to go out and start smashing the trees down with it.

I think it might be related to the military though. I had drafted all my dwarves early to deal with a problem and I'm thinking the axe may have been defined as one of their weapons, so nobody wants to use it now except for military purposes. I'm not sure if this is the actual reason, but I can't think of why else everyone but soldiers refuse to use the axe.

DoctorZuber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 10:48:34 am »

the pathing bug is a thorny multi-headed hydra... here are some things that may cause a huge mess of failed pathing.

Save/exit/reload The current release is believed to have some sort of pathing cache which can get clogged up and confused sometimes. reloading sometimes fixes this problem.

One stuck dwarf Despite being unable to path to it, your dwarf will constantly try to grab different jobs interrupting everyone else and causing mass idleness. disabling this dwarves labors might help. It may also be useful to disable other peoples labor leaving only one possible dwarf available to dig out a rescue path. Walling off your fortress to keep out those pesky immigrants will reliably create this problem the instant they arrive.

Machine Parts will block a path. Dwarves are perfectly capable of walking over machine parts, but if a path through machine parts is the ONLY path, dwarves will fail to find a path and be stuck as above. as soon as an alternate path exists they will now find their way out, possibly walking right through the machine parts to do so.

Burrows can also cause difficulties with stuck dwarves. Deleting your burrows and possibly also creating a new burrows to force all civilians into can sometimes resolve mass idleness behavior.

Simply put, Pathfinding is a disaster right now, there's lots of open tickets about the subject all tied up into one big annoying multi-headed hydra. any additional information on how to reliably create (and solve) any pathfinding behavior could be useful. Thanks.

Stele007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 03:54:13 pm »

I had this same issue with certain dwarves.  I think it had something to do with them being in a squad with uniforms.  One had an axe, but I think it might have been reserved for military use?  I designated a recent migrant to cut trees, and he went to town with it.  The other dwarves never cut trees again.  Eventually I gave up and had them do other things.  I also had defined a burrow and dug some channels recently when it started, though I later deleted the burrow.

For the pathing bug, you should just be able to forbid then reclaim a door to force it to recalculate paths.

bigos

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Use by:
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 10:46:12 am »

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but I found another reproducible situation when this happens.
It is, when you have 3 tiles wide entrance, and build a retracting bridge, all entrance wide. My dwarves won't chop any trees after that. Outside or inside, doesn't matter. But when I deconstructed the bridge, they suddenly started to notice designations. This happened in two forts, exactly the same story.
I build the bridge outside and no problems so far. I guess it doesn't have to be bridge, just some kind of construction. I hope that helps someone.
"What do you think about modern civilization"
"That would be a great idea!"
--- interview with Mahatma Gandhi, during his first visit to London.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 11:09:55 am »

Could this pathfinding bug work its way to other activities? I've had a few close calls where all my dwarves forgot where the food stockpile was. There are no confusing passageways that I can see.

Migliori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 06:43:18 pm »

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but I found another reproducible situation when this happens.
It is, when you have 3 tiles wide entrance, and build a retracting bridge, all entrance wide. My dwarves won't chop any trees after that. Outside or inside, doesn't matter. But when I deconstructed the bridge, they suddenly started to notice designations. This happened in two forts, exactly the same story.
I build the bridge outside and no problems so far. I guess it doesn't have to be bridge, just some kind of construction. I hope that helps someone.
I had the same experience as this for what it is worth.

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 07:58:07 pm »

No real point bring this thread back from the dead .03 has solved the pathing issue's. If your still having this problem occur in a newly generated world in the latest version please state so or report it to the tracker (checking first for duplicates).