Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civilations die out/ Increase civ-survivability.  (Read 1232 times)

Bernd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Civilations die out/ Increase civ-survivability.
« on: April 03, 2010, 11:43:22 am »

Hello,
I am trying to create a world with the following parameters:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And i end up with 96% of the civs beeing dead at the year of 600. Can you give me tips to keep at least one elfen-, dwarven-, human-, and goblin-civ alive?

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Civilations die out/ Increase civ-survivability.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 12:20:32 pm »

I can see the problem with such a high civ number and populations over such a long period of time compacted onto small region would quickly allow a strong civ to overpower another.

That being said, I'm not too knowledgeable on the subject of world gen.

Another problem is that civilizations such as humans and elves will not settle in certain biomes, such as evil and of course they will avoid certain tiles such as mountain peaks and ocean and possibly extreme temperatures, so you've basically got 40 civs crammed into a walnut.

Your best bet would be to experiment.  That uberhigh total_civ_population isn't entirely necessary.  (You won't ever notice them in adventure mode or in fortress mode).  Perhaps tone down the total number of civilizations.  An absolute bet would be to lower the year end number. You could also try increasing the world size.  Remember that the settings that are default are default for a reason, and trying to cram a large region's content into a small region's space, while not always reject-causing, can lead to undesirable results.  I don't mean do EVERYTHING I said, you don't have to tone everything down, but you SHOULD try experimenting if you don't like my suggestions and try to get a compromise between your desired results and a successful world gen recipe.

Also, do you get rejects?  Set your init file to log rejects if you do and find out what is causing rejects at what point in time.  I won't say it'll tell you exactly what's wrong, but you might get a bit of useful information here and there.  (Most rejections are from failing to meet land qualifications, I don't know if you can get rejects for a civ requirement not being met)

That's all I've got.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 12:22:51 pm by Box »
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

Bernd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 12:57:26 pm »

I can see the problem with such a high civ number and populations over such a long period of time compacted onto small region would quickly allow a strong civ to overpower another.
Sometimes I get a big elven empire, but most of the times all civ-sites are dead after year 50.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 01:52:06 pm »

I think it has to do with "Force" being used to take over a Civilization in some cases, so intelligent Megabeasts get a HUUUUGE advantage...
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Bernd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 05:38:12 am »

I doubled the world-area and did set the number of Titans to 1, this time some civs have the chance to build streets (what they did not before i changed the Titans-parameter) and grow big, but in the end they all get wiped out. Can i somehow decrease the kill-efficiency of "Titans"?

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 07:35:00 am »

You should try making the world bigger or decreasing the amount of caves.

That many caves in so little space allows all nasties to escape from the underworld.

Aboveground they'll do nasty things.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 09:32:32 am »

Hi!

Actually, the caves are a liability in 40d as well - too many of them, and giants and the like would wreck your civs before they get a chance to respond.

I did a quick try to get your world to gen for better result, tweaking things here and there. For instance, the following got me a world where goblins are extinct, but otherwise all races are still there.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You can either play around with the random seed to see if you get a lucky combination for the goblins, or simply try to increase the number of mountain squares required, as more mountains mean more room for goblins to build in and breed.

Deathworks

P.S.: Don't get your hope highs about the example above - even though it runs till 1050 with the three races remaining, goblins do die relatively quickly in that history as well.