Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Infinifight?  (Read 1796 times)

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Infinifight?
« on: April 03, 2010, 11:27:05 am »

So..  I had an interesting experience in Adventure Mode yesterday.

I was playing a wrestler/maceman and took on a quest to kill a bronze colossus. Having been splattered by quest bosses quite often in 40d, I was expecting a similar result here.

However...

The fight was a spam of glanced blows and dodges. Every time the colossus attempted to charge and missed, I would get in a few hits; eventually, everything was in the red except its left hand. Still, it refused to die.

I died after about fifteen minutes of this nonsense after it caught me on the ground, but yeah... Wow.

I don't know if this is supposed to be more realistic, but it's a bit silly. : P
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

Tirin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Infinifight?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:49:13 am »

Bludgeoning weapons bruise muscles and innards, smash bones, and break the skin.

Bronze Colossi have none of those.

Kill them by lopping bits off. Which you can't do with a mace.

ssfsx17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 11:52:09 am »

In the Arena, I created one grand-master bronze colossus decked out with Adamantite gear (including an adamantite longsword), and an unskilled bronze colossus. The grand-master one was able to hack off the hands and feet of the unskilled one, but... never made any other kind of progress whatsoever.

Maybe you need at least a two-handed weapon that's better than bronze to do it?

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 11:54:35 am »

For Bronze Colossi, normal weapons won't beat them. I found that dragon fire and magma work. There is some success with slade, but apparently you can't mine that.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 12:38:50 pm »

I had a bronze colossus steal my glove.
So I lead him to a human town.
He's running around slapping people with the glove, which of course is doing nothing, while they spike him with spears and punches, which of course aren't doing anything either.
Infinifight with no wounds.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 03:31:19 am »

i've fought a bronze colossus with a bronze war ax, it went for several real minutes nobody getting any hits just glances and dodges. it probably looked epic but it was boring i eventually just ran away to go grab a better ax but i forgot where he was.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 04:03:40 am »

I'm fighting a bronze colossus. I'm lopped off its hands, feet, ears, and nose. Every part of it is mangled. How do I kill the darn thing?
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 05:27:18 am »

Hammers , They Work like hell on Bronze Collosi

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 03:47:14 pm »

The new combat does seem kinda silly.

An actual battle log:

You attack The Cougar but He jumps away!
You stab The Cougar in the right front leg with your bronze spear, shattering the bone!
A tendon has been torn!
You stab The Cougar in the right front leg with your bronze spear, shattering the bone!
A tendon has been torn!
The bronze spear has lodged firmly in the wound!
You maintain possession of the bronze spear.
The Cougar misses You!
You stab The Cougar in the lower body with your bronze spear, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the right kidney!
You twist the embedded bronze spear around in The Cougar's lower body!
You stab The Cougar in the lower body with your bronze spear, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the guts!
The Cougar looks sick!
The Cougar charges at You!
The Cougar attacks You but You jump away!
The Cougar vomits.
The Cougar vomits.
You stab The Cougar in the upper body with your bronze spear, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the heart!
You stab The Cougar in the upper body with your bronze spear, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the right lung!
The Cougar is having trouble breathing!
You stab The Cougar in the head with your bronze spear, tearing apart the muscle and shattering the skull!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Cougar misses You!
You stab The Cougar in the right rear leg with your bronze spear, shattering the bone!
A tendon has been torn!
You stab The Cougar in the upper body with your bronze spear, tearing apart the muscle and shattering the left false rib!
A tendon in the left false rib has been torn!
You stab The Cougar in the lower body with your bronze spear, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the lower spine's nervous tissue!
A tendon in the lower spine has been torn!
The Cougar falls over.
You stab The Cougar in the right rear leg with your bronze spear, shattering the bone!
A tendon has been torn!
The Cougar gives in to pain.
You stab The Cougar in the left rear leg with your bronze spear, shattering the bone!
A tendon has been torn!
A tendon has been torn!
A tendon has been torn!
A tendon has been torn!
You twist the embedded bronze spear around in The Cougar's right front leg!
You stab The Cougar in the upper body with your bronze spear, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the upper spine's nervous tissue!
A tendon in the upper spine has been torn!
You stab The Cougar in the upper body with your bronze spear, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the heart!
You twist the embedded bronze spear around in The Cougar's upper body!
You stab The Cougar in the lower body with your bronze spear, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the stomach!
You stab The Cougar in the left ear with your bronze spear, tearing apart the cartilage!
You stab The Cougar in the left rear leg with your bronze spear, shattering the bone!
A tendon has been torn!
You stab The Cougar in the left front leg with your bronze spear, shattering the bone!
A tendon has been torn!
A tendon has been torn!
You stab The Cougar in the head with your bronze spear, tearing apart the muscle and shattering the skull!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
You twist the embedded bronze spear around in The Cougar's head!
You stab The Cougar in the left front leg with your bronze spear, shattering the bone!
A tendon has been torn!
A tendon has been torn!
You twist the embedded bronze spear around in The Cougar's left rear leg!
A tendon has been torn!
You stab The Cougar in the lower body with your bronze spear, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the spleen!
You stab The Cougar in the right eye tooth with your bronze spear, shattering it!
A tendon has been torn!
The Cougar regains consciousness.
The Cougar passes out from exhaustion.
You stab The Cougar in the upper body with your bronze spear, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the left lung!
The Cougar is having more trouble breathing!
You stab The Cougar in the upper body with your bronze spear, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the left lung!
The Cougar is having more trouble breathing!
A tendon has been torn!
You twist the embedded bronze spear around in The Cougar's right front leg!
A motor nerve has been severed and a tendon has been torn!
You twist the embedded bronze spear around in The Cougar's left front leg!
You stab The Cougar in the upper body with your bronze spear, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the liver!
A tendon has been torn!
A tendon has been torn!
You bash The Cougar in the lower body with the shaft of your bronze spear, bruising the muscle and bruising the guts!
You stab The Cougar in the lower body with your bronze spear, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the guts!
The Cougar looks sick!
A tendon has been torn!
You stab The Cougar in the lower body with your bronze spear, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the spleen!
A tendon has been torn!
The Cougar has bled to death.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 03:54:03 pm »

Yeah, spears kind of suck... they take forever to actually kill things. They're kind of like how whips were in 40d (and may still be now, I don't know)
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 09:01:32 pm »

Okay. Apparently falling off short cliffs can kill colossi.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 11:28:13 am »

I spent a real life hour fighting a BC for a quest, got me no where.... so I tried in arena with clownite weapons... still no luck.  I am going to see if 100 cbowmen with clownite bolts will do anything.
Yes but then the three children hanging off her will catch fire.
And that's stopped people before...?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 01:03:26 pm »

Yeah, don't waste your time. Water immoblizes them, lava and dragonfire melts them. Slade can hurt them, but none of the playable races are strong enough to hurt them with any usable material. The only way to kill one would be to mod in slade weapons and hope you chop it's head off with a lucky shot.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 04:57:45 pm »

Yeah, spears kind of suck... they take forever to actually kill things. They're kind of like how whips were in 40d (and may still be now, I don't know)

It has nothing to do with spears sucking. It  has to do with the body system not caring that your heart is "torn apart".  Apparently you can just keep going after that.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 06:12:01 pm »

Okay. Apparently falling off short cliffs can kill colossi.
Square-cube law of course.
Pages: [1] 2