Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Dead dwarves stay in the military  (Read 769 times)

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.01] Dead dwarves stay in the military
« on: April 03, 2010, 10:23:14 am »

I just noticed, if a dwarf dies, he stays in his squad. Its just a minor inconvinience but nevertheless.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Dead dwarves stay in the military
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:01:37 am »

that was very problematic for me and contributed to the death of all 89 of my dwarfs at the (hands?) of a forgotten beast
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 11:17:01 am »

I mandate this story told in full lenght.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 12:15:20 pm »

my second fortress of the new version, "cavernhome", i learned how to farm properly after the devastation that was "firstborn". i set up a farm in the naturally muddy ground of the caverns surrounded by walls and cage traps to protect it. my fort grew beautifully with many wonderful artifacts -until i got an 'unwelcome guest', Uldib silencednettles the winged blob of fire.
i watched in horror as he floated with ease over my traps, ascended my stairs and emerged in my dining room -to the absolute horror of the 89 dwarfs up to that point enjoying life in general. wasting no time the beast shot jets of flame in all directions, incinerating 10 dwarfs and 3 cats in the wave of scorching death. i scrambled my guard to attack -all but three never struck a blow. i tried to organise my other civilians with inherent combat skills, but due to the issues in squad management, i could never tell who was still alive at any point -limiting reinforcements from my civilian dwarfs as i tried to lock them down in their rooms until it blew over. all strike teams died -their noble hounds tried to defend their masters but suffered the same fate. it went to a horror story after that -the insidious creature stalked the fort picking off stragglers still too panicked to find their way to their rooms... and then it came across my housing block...
and broke down the locked doors,
one
by
one.
they never stood a chance.
the few remaining dwarfs might have had a chance of survival if i moved them outside, i organized one last squad and told them to go for the surface, unfortunately leaving behind the wounded still in hospital from previous underground encounters. they didn't get far... some tantrummed, others ran for food, these distractions cost them precious time -none survived
the sad remainder of my fort, 3 dwarfs sitting in hospital waiting for a doctor that died in the first contact. Uldib wasted no time in purging their flesh from bone. then he came across the last dwarf that wasn't dead or insane. my previous militia commander, permanently retired after having his foot bitten off by a giant olm. a teal question mark flashed over the beast and it hesitated. lag? calculation problems?  something more? nevertheless, this moment lasted a mere few seconds and Mestthos Ironshaft was shortly unidentifiable from the ashes of the bed he rested upon.
-dwarf blood somehow survived the fires and was splattered everywhere, each puddle was named from the dwarf that it was spilled from, serving as a grim reminder of the previous inhabitants of the fort.
10 attempts to reclaim the fort met the same fate, eventually i decided it was best to forget this cursed place and move on.

Edit: grammar/spelling
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:49:07 pm by Chronas »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 02:19:25 pm »

Even more awesome than i hoped  ;D
I especially like the part with the
on
by
on

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 08:13:01 pm »

a teal question mark flashed over the beast and it hesitated. lag? calculation problems?  something more? nevertheless, this moment lasted a mere few seconds and Mestthos Ironshaft was shortly unidentifiable from the ashes of the bed he rested upon.
Dude.
each puddle was named from the dwarf that it was spilled from, serving as a grim reminder of the previous inhabitants of the fort.

Great story!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 08:21:26 pm by melkorp »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.