Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Post Your DF2010 Questions Here  (Read 3603 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post Your DF2010 Questions Here
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 01:47:34 pm »

PRECEDENCE presumably has something to do with how highly ranked they are, I'm trying to figure it out myself.
CHAT_WORTHY I'm not sure about. Determines whether they'll give you quests or not; not sure about if it does anything else or not.
MENIAL_WORK_EXEMPTION will stop them from performing labours as most nobles did in 28.
ACCOUNT_EXEMPT... that either means they don't pay anything for anything, or they're not punishable by law. I forget which. Extremely likely to be the former. Forget that, got it confused with PUNISHMENT_EXEMPTION.
SLEEP_PRETENSION I've no idea about, though it sounds as though it might have something to do with them being bothered by "lesser" people having better rooms than them, unless that behaviour is coded in with the room requirements, in which case it'll probably have something to do with 31 which I don't know yet.

EDIT: Here's an idea about PRECEDENCE: If you have a civver - let's say, a militia commander. He has a precedence value of 120. Now a general comes along - he has a precedence value of 50. As both dwarfs have the same responsibility, which is to say, MILITARY_STRATEGY, the precendence values of each are checked, and the one with the lower value effectively takes over. If, continuing the same hypothetical situation, you still have the militia commander around when the general is no longer available, his orders start to have an effect again.

I need to do some testing to see if this is actually the case or not. It should really work with anything - diplomats should report to the monarch instead of the mayor, etc..
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 03:35:16 pm by 3 »

Pathos

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 03:41:44 pm »

Is it possible to make it so a race can only use "primitive metals" like the last version's kobolds?

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 04:03:33 pm »

What about material tags, such as metals... that is making my head hurt trying to update my glassmetal mod... no way to tell what does what there for me....
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 04:05:05 pm »

1. Anyone know if there's a way to trick solid or liquid glob breath weapons into melting things? Ridiculously hot trailing or undirected gas eventually melt those bloody colossi, but I'd really like to have globs do it instead... their firing method is much more effective.

2. Is there anything akin to acid? Several of my worlds have unkillable HFS; being able to melt them without resorting to heat is probably the only thing short of cave-in or rock encasement that's going to end 'em.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 05:37:49 pm »

Would it be possbile to create a (playable) race consisting of wholly different creatures using the caste system?

Pathos

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 05:39:25 pm »

Would it be possbile to create a (playable) race consisting of wholly different creatures using the caste system?

I believe that was the idea, but it seems next to impossible to do. At least, it has me stumped.

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 10:20:52 pm »

My creature doesn't work. They don't attack with their preset attacks, and they are shown as being injured in game.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 12:52:29 am »

I've made a test creature for testing purposes, and it works, except for one thing.  'Test man' has four castes, with the intended purpose of being able to alter the different castes and see how they perform in the same situation.  The first test was going to be seeing how bone material impacts their survivability, but my current method applies caste 4's material across all of them.  Is there some way to change that behavior, or do I have to make four creatures instead?  Relevant excerpt of current method:
Code: [Select]
[CASTE:ONE]
        [CASTE_NAME:type 1 test man:type 1 test men:type 1 test man]
    [CASTE:TWO]
        [CASTE_NAME:type 2 test man:type 2 test men:type 2 test man]       
    [CASTE:THREE]
        [CASTE_NAME:type 3 test man:type 3 test men:type 3 test man]
    [CASTE:FOUR]
        [CASTE_NAME:type 4 test man:type 4 test men:type 4 test man]
    [SELECT_CASTE:ONE]
    [SELECT_CASTE:TWO]
        [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BONE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
    [SELECT_CASTE:THREE]
        [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BONE:CREATURE_CHEESE_TEMPLATE]
    [SELECT_CASTE:FOUR]
        [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BONE:MILK_TEMPLATE]

Never modded with any previous versions, but the new level of versatility is really interesting to me.

And for the record, bones made of milk will melt at room temperature, causing you to bleed to death, though the butchered corpse will still contain 'test man's frozen milk' for a few frames.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:41:17 am by JoRo »
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 04:05:41 am »

I've made a test creature for testing purposes, and it works, except for one thing.  'Test man' has four castes, with the intended purpose of being able to alter the different castes and see how they perform in the same situation.  The first test was going to be seeing how bone material impacts their survivability, but my current method applies caste 4's material across all of them.  Is there some way to change that behavior, or do I have to make four creatures instead?  Relevant excerpt of current method:
Code: [Select]
[CASTE:ONE]
        [CASTE_NAME:type 1 test man:type 1 test men:type 1 test man]
    [CASTE:TWO]
        [CASTE_NAME:type 2 test man:type 2 test men:type 2 test man]       
    [CASTE:THREE]
        [CASTE_NAME:type 3 test man:type 3 test men:type 3 test man]
    [CASTE:FOUR]
        [CASTE_NAME:type 4 test man:type 4 test men:type 4 test man]
    [SELECT_CASTE:ONE]
    [SELECT_CASTE:TWO]
        [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BONE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
    [SELECT_CASTE:THREE]
        [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BONE:CREATURE_CHEESE_TEMPLATE]
    [SELECT_CASTE:FOUR]
        [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BONE:MILK_TEMPLATE]

Never modded with any previous versions, but the new level of versatility is really interesting to me.

And for the record, bones made of milk will melt at room temperature, causing you to bleed to death, though the butchered corpse will still contain 'test man's frozen milk' for a few frames.

I think the problem is the order of tags; try switching them around, like declaring caste-precising bones-declare another caste etc.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 04:50:19 am »

I think the problem is the order of tags; try switching them around, like declaring caste-precising bones-declare another caste etc.

A reasonable idea, but I still can't get them to work after switching everything around.

After fiddling around with it, I've wound up with this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

One has 4 arms just to make them easy to tell apart (this part works).  The creature name is now 'a test man' so I don't have to scroll all the way to 't' every time I go back to the arena.  Since I already know milk bones are fatal, one of them should keel over and die shortly after spawning, but they don't.

Edit: just realized that they seem to live fine without lungs or [NOBREATHE].  Huh.

Edit: added lungs, fixed other error-causing things.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 02:14:46 pm by JoRo »
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2010, 05:37:41 am »

Is it possible to only allow members of certain castes to wear certain articles of clothing?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2010, 01:50:56 pm »

Is it possible to create one's own skill and one's own profession, or to at least mod an existing one?  I so want to turn 'Soap Maker' into 'Alchemist'...

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 02:04:52 pm »

My creature doesn't work. They don't attack with their preset attacks, and they are shown as being injured in game.

You probably need the [NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT] tag.

If it still doesn't work, try to get as much of the error messages in the error log fixed as you can and then come back with the ones you can't. It helps to clear the error log before each time you open up Arena mode for testing.

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2010, 04:18:44 pm »

How do I make a creature made of ash vulnerable to death? I'm currently searching for ash in the raws to turn it into something hopefully killable, but I'm unsure if that'll work.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010, 05:24:27 pm »

How do I make a creature made of ash vulnerable to death? I'm currently searching for ash in the raws to turn it into something hopefully killable, but I'm unsure if that'll work.

Depends. Is it a blob of ash or something like an ash golem?

If it isn't just a blob, then it should die when the upperbody or lowerbody or the head is destroyed.

For blobs, I had a hard time with making it killable until I removed [NOTHOUGHT] and made sure the blob bodypart had thought. The Cave Blob is an example of this in the default raws.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4