Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [0.31.01] New miner wont pick up his pick  (Read 11644 times)

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.01] New miner wont pick up his pick
« on: April 03, 2010, 09:34:13 am »

I lost a miner to a cave in just now and wanted to replace him with a useless gemcutter. So I assigned him the mining profession, but he keeps standing in my meeting hall with 'no job' and refuses to pick up his pick.
Is there any method I can make him do what he's supposed to?

As the other miner got hit by the cave in as well i have two perfectly fine copper picks lying in my weapons stockpile.

Edit: I tried it with another dwarf, still no luck.
I even assigned my arsenal dwarf but it changed nothing.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:19:52 am by Spectre »

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] New miner wont pick up his pick
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:53:09 am »

Try saving and reloading. A lot of things seem to get fixed by that. I don't know if it's related to pathfinding (can't find the equipment), or if it just takes a long time to register new jobs, but reloading the save has helped me with a lot of issues like this.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 11:57:39 am »

Also try setting him to not mine, and then to mine again.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 02:22:15 pm »

well never mind a workaround. I gened a new world after the ocurences here. http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=52473.0;topicseen
But I will try saving and loading again the next time something gets awry.
I tried turning mining off and on again severall times without success.

Blackdutchie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 05:50:28 pm »

A workaround to this problem (as i have run into it recently, though not even with deceased miners, i guess they dropped theirs when i told them to kill a grimeling) seems to be to just forge new picks. (not much of a workaround, i admit, but at least you'll have miners again ;D)

i theorize, without solid evidence or proof, that it has to do with dwarves becoming attached to their equipment. (this is quite probably preserved bull excrement, but then again, it being a new-like feature...)
Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Flying Carcass
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
The first lesson taught by DF is patience.
The second: Madness.
The third: Magma, properly applied, solves all problems.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 08:16:10 pm »

I just ran into this one.  I traded for another pick from the dwarven caravan, but none of the dwarves will equip it (I've tried several different non-miner dwarves).
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Geocat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 10:00:19 pm »

Anyone figure this one out? Im trying to train a few new miners and they all refuse to pick up a pick, I have two that I bought from caravans and a few I made my self, they refuse to touch either! this is gonna make expanding my new fortress VERY slow...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 12:28:56 am »

Having the same issue. I've repeated toggled mining on and off over the years to try to get my dorfs to pick up some mining picks.

I've even mass produced a whole bunch of copper picks, but they're still refusing to pick them up.

I'm not using DT to enable/disable mining, its all being done in game. The dorfs in question are not part of any military squad.

I don't get it.   ???

Edit:

OMG
Right after I finished typing this and hit the submit button, Lor Olonkel, stoneworker, FINALLY went over to the stockpile full of mining picks, and he grabbed himself a shiny new copper pick.

I have no idea why.  ???

Edit2:
Eventually they all grabbed their mining picks. Very, very slowly. About 1 dorf per year. Now every one of my diggers/builders has a mining pick.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:14:22 am by Hyndis »

Cubittus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL][FLASHES]
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] New miner wont pick up his pick [solved]
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 01:23:15 pm »

I just had this problem with a couple of newly assigned Miner dorfs.

It turned out that my military had decided to take all the spare picks as melee weapons for themselves.  >:(

I changed the military equipment settings to specific weapons for each squad member and the picks were freed up for the Miners.  :D

NichoVoid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 11:21:15 am »

I too have encountered this problem. None of the work arounds listed above have worked. All my miners have died and I can no longer expand.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 11:33:44 am »

NichoVoid, have you set a new miner to JUST MINE in the labor menu? And made sure that at least one of your picks is unowned? If they are military equipment, you'll need an Arsenal Dwarf to release them to the public, if you hit the "arsenal dwarf required" pop size. Even if your fortress drops down to 1 adult dwarf and 5 children, you'll still need an arsenal dwarf to change weapons/equipment (ie, picks and axes) for all dwarves. And that can take a LONG, LONG time before it happens (the arsenal dwarf must have an office to do his work, and free time from other labors).

Arsenal Dwarf is listed on the forums as becoming required/available at 30 dwarves, so if your pop hit that or went over, that's part of your problem.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

NichoVoid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 12:17:27 pm »

NichoVoid, have you set a new miner to JUST MINE in the labor menu? And made sure that at least one of your picks is unowned? If they are military equipment, you'll need an Arsenal Dwarf to release them to the public, if you hit the "arsenal dwarf required" pop size. Even if your fortress drops down to 1 adult dwarf and 5 children, you'll still need an arsenal dwarf to change weapons/equipment (ie, picks and axes) for all dwarves. And that can take a LONG, LONG time before it happens (the arsenal dwarf must have an office to do his work, and free time from other labors).

Arsenal Dwarf is listed on the forums as becoming required/available at 30 dwarves, so if your pop hit that or went over, that's part of your problem.
I have 4 dorfs set to mine only in the labor menu.
There are 10 unused picks in a stockpile (a mix between purchased and crafted).
My population did hit enough to require an arsenal dwarf and I did have one assigned. However, I never created a military squad of any kind...so could the picks still somehow be claimed?

Edit: I went back to double check what I typed above and one of the miners has began to dig. :o I have no idea what happened to bring on that change.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 12:25:35 pm by NichoVoid »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 12:39:19 pm »

I think this might be related to the arsenal dwarf somehow.

In the very early stages of the fortress everyone happily picks up mining picks. When the fortress is larger they seem very reluctant to equip the mining picks.

But then I had also foolishly made my arsenal dwarf also be my bookkeeper, so he never actually had any time to update the equipment manifests. Looks like bookkeeping in 31.03 is basically a 24/7 job now, so you definitely want a separate dwarf to do that because he will never have any free time to do other things.

Geocat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 08:30:15 pm »

I think this might be related to the arsenal dwarf somehow.

In the very early stages of the fortress everyone happily picks up mining picks. When the fortress is larger they seem very reluctant to equip the mining picks.

But then I had also foolishly made my arsenal dwarf also be my bookkeeper, so he never actually had any time to update the equipment manifests. Looks like bookkeeping in 31.03 is basically a 24/7 job now, so you definitely want a separate dwarf to do that because he will never have any free time to do other things.

sigh, I thought this might be my problem, I didnt have an arsenal dward assigned. So I went and did that(he didnt have any other job either). didnt help at all, new miners wont pick up picks still.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 11:55:01 pm »

The arsenal dwarf works very, very slowly.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!
Pages: [1] 2