Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: DF2010 - Bronze Colossuses, too hardcore?  (Read 11888 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 - Bronze Colossuses, too hardcore?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 10:17:53 am »

I think their complete invulnerability to seemingly every attack is due to a mixture of [NOPAIN], [NOEXERT] and the fact that they are now actually made of bronze. Because of this combination they are almost impossible to damage, due to all their tissue layers being solid bronze. This means you need to be very lucky to hit them with anything and even then, it has almost no effect on them, because of [NOPAIN], they just keep going hitting with whatever is left, bronze is bronze, be is a fist or a foot or whatever's its left with. Due to [NOEXERT] they can just keep going forever outlasting any other opponent and then crushing them.

I think the forbidden stone is so effective due to its massive weight so it just destroys anything in its path with ease.

Update of the 2 dueling colossuses - they are still going, both having removed all of the others fingers, then their hands and quite a lot of toes, and causing general damage to their bodies, however there is no end in sight for their battle.
It's not Nopain and noexert, I spent an hour testing it yesterday and didn't get a dead colossus until I changed their tissue from [INORGANIC_BRONZE] to [ORGANIC_BRONZE]. Just changing it to a weaker metal doesn't seem to do anything either, at least so I observed.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 11:23:46 am »

Has anyone tried modding in Lead Warhammers yet? They might just be metal enough to make a dent.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 12:22:54 pm »

Tried did not work.
What worked: magma men+fire imps

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 01:05:08 pm »

The strength and relative size of the attacker has a lot to do with it. Dwarfs were only able to hack of hands and feet, but Minotaurs were able to hack off it's arms at the shoulders.
!!&!!

Kelbin

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:terrifyingly blocky features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 10:36:37 pm »

I got a bronze collosus to

Upperbody
Lowerbody
head

everything else lopped off

It still continued to bite the humans throats out while having it's head continuously shattered multiple times by
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
greataxes and mauls by giants.

Or wait? can collossus bite?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:42:45 pm by Kelbin »
Coalition soldier cancels attack dummy brain: interrupted by Rocklet. x6
Rocklet has scuttled!
Crab has been crushed! x106
Coalition soldier has been crushed! x6
Crab has been crushed! x43

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 10:50:07 pm »

I pitted a No Skill Bronze Colossus 1 on 1 against a Grandmaster Everything Elf(Yes, Elf; Dwarves aren't tall enough to teach it's upper body and head) with Steel Full Plate, a Steel Longsword and a Steel Shield. The Colossus charged the elf over and over, but thanks to his unrealistically high skills the Elf dodged everything the Colossus threw at him. The Elf repeatedly stabbed the colossus, which fractured various body parts. Repeated fractures wounded them, first to yellow then to red. Eventually the elf took it down to Red Body and Head, with arms and legs chopped off, within about 30 minutes. 2 hours later, no further progress had been made, despite the fact that the elf fractured the colossus' head around 50 times more since(I would have thought it would be reduced to dust by that point). Eventually the elf became Tired and fell over. No longer able to dodge, the colossus squished him.

I tried it again with a Magma Man, who eventually melted the colossus. If I didn't give the Magma Man steel armor though, the Colossus would always kill the magma man early on.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 10:56:31 pm »

So far I'm pretty sure the only way a bronze colossus can be killed is my encasement, brige, melting, or decapitation by removal of it's head, upper body, or lower body.  Admitedly I've only managed to remove the head so far by pitting a full grand master BC with a shale 2hand swords against a no skill unarmed BC.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 11:07:08 pm »

I kinnda like the concept of sealing a living one withing the fortress myself
Thank you based dwarf.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 11:09:23 pm »

Should/did red status limbs remove functionality? Because I had a pair of duelling bronze colossi that had red left and right upper arms, and they could still swing their axes at each other. Would that come under one of their tags like nopain?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 11:15:24 pm »

What about vast arrays of catapults hurling platinum/lead, or lead-tipped (iron/steel if that's not possible) ballista arrows? Maybe dropping stone on them from hundreds of z-levels up? Dropping them into massive pits with bridge traps, as someone suggested? Making an elaborate firebomb - putting lots of lignite near your fortress entrance, and dropping a !!lignite block!! from above?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 11:15:31 pm »

This was mentioned in various threads before but...
Other than that it's melting or encasing in rock, direct shot by siege weapons needs more testing.

Candlejack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2010, 11:30:15 pm »

Aren't all inorganics in DF 2010 unkillable by conventional means? Would a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
work on all of those too?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2010, 11:33:44 pm »

They will work on anything smaller than a bronze colossus, so yes.

Mind you, you can drop skeletal creatures and they will blow apart on impact from high enough.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2010, 11:55:36 pm »

Try lowering the relsize of the head.  If the weapon needs to cleave THROUGH the head in order to detach it, then it has to have penetration depth in order to pass from one side clean through to the other.  If that's not happening, the head will never be lopped off.  The legs have a greater relsize than the head, but it's possible that some of the weapon's length is used in simply REACHING the head, making it easier to hack at the legs than the head (although I see no indication that the head must necessarily be higher than the legs in the raws.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010, 12:12:31 am »

Well, what if you were to have your dwarves stand on little crates? :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9