Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well that's an interesting volcano.  (Read 4551 times)

Zruku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Well that's an interesting volcano.
« on: April 03, 2010, 03:53:22 am »

While trying out different cave settings in the world generation I decided to embark on a volcano for fun™ and I got this oddity.

If you can't tell the volcano went all the way up past the mountain.

I tried embarking on a volcano on another world and noticed that so far all volcanos will ALWAYS be the same shape without any changes (except with a magma sea).

Has anyone else noticed anything with volcanos?

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
Re: Well that's an interesting volcano.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 04:20:26 am »

Mine was a perfect square.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 12:15:25 pm »

I don't know, but now I want to embark on one and make a magma waterfall.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Burneddi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 01:59:06 pm »

Climbed a volcano in adventure mode and it was rather similiar to that - only one edge of it was accessible and everything else was an odd, very steep cliff with no ramps or anything.

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 02:08:54 pm »

One of the volcanos I embarked to last night was basicly a 30 z-level hollow obsidian cylinder with magma in it... no supporting mountains or anything. From the top it basicly dropped 30 z-levels down until it hit "ground" level with trees and animals etc. I think the cylinder was about 5 squares thicker at the ground level than it was at the top, making for a VERY steep volcano with very few ramps. Certinly not enough ramps to get up to the summit, as I tested it by attempting to make channels for a magmafall and my miner just couldnt find a path up there.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 02:42:52 pm »

Yeah, I've notices that magma tubes (volcano or subterranean) are a uniform shape all the way down until they hit the magma sea.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 03:42:39 am »

One of the volcanos I embarked to last night was basicly a 30 z-level hollow obsidian cylinder with magma in it... no supporting mountains or anything. From the top it basicly dropped 30 z-levels down until it hit "ground" level with trees and animals etc. I think the cylinder was about 5 squares thicker at the ground level than it was at the top, making for a VERY steep volcano with very few ramps. Certinly not enough ramps to get up to the summit, as I tested it by attempting to make channels for a magmafall and my miner just couldnt find a path up there.
I'm guessing a bug with erosion...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 05:59:29 am »

Put a lever-operated floodgate in the side, with a sign saying "In case of goblin invasion, pull lever."

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 07:53:02 am »

just gash that sucker open and watch the terror of your first 7.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 03:12:41 pm »

Heh, I drained a volcano the first time I settled on one. It was placed on a big slope and I just used my two miners to keep channeling holes in it all the way up on two sides. By the time I was done five dwarves had died of exposure to the magma and I had lost both picks (first three deaths were reclaimable since they jumped off lava to die, other two died in lava and the picks melted), but I had huge rips on two sides of the volcano.

It poured out into the plains area below and by the time the shaft was empty the entire forest area was covered in magma and the wandering creatures that were there had burned to death, but the trees somehow survived. It also burnt up the group of migrants who arrived right on top of the lava in late spring. I abandoned before it fully dissipated (it was flowing off the side of the map) since my FPS was being cut pretty bad with all the flowing lava, but it was interesting to see.

If I ever do it again I'll block off the sides of the map with a wall and just make a gigantic pool of lava over the forest :)
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 03:58:15 pm »

Lava would not drain off the side of the map in 40d. If it's the same now, you shouldn't need to block it off.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 04:21:44 pm »

I didn't play 40d so I don't know about that but it did drain off the map in previous versions and it definitely drains off the map in this version. The edges were constantly 1/7 even with huge amounts of magma flowing into them and 2/7 or greater magma right behind them.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link