Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: First Death in DF 2010 adventure mode?  (Read 5144 times)

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
Re: First Death in DF 2010 adventure mode?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2010, 05:11:59 pm »

Ambushed by a few wolves. While in 40d they cut my throat open now and then (even though I could slay entire dragons without a hitch) .. they got me this time by attacking me, and my character dodging right into a murky pool. Drowned.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2010, 06:47:49 pm »

Ambushed by a few wolves. While in 40d they cut my throat open now and then (even though I could slay entire dragons without a hitch) .. they got me this time by attacking me, and my character dodging right into a murky pool. Drowned.
That's why you take exactly two levels of Swimmer.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2010, 07:02:17 pm »

Wow, is no one going to give Solifuge props for that awesome tale?  The fact that you threw your hammer up to the prisoners is stuff of legend.  Please write more.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2010, 07:06:11 pm »

Wow, I didn't see Solifuge's... holy shit, that was amazing. I agree, you should write more. Was the epilogue just flavor material or was that actually in the legends mode? If so, it's amazing how detailed it is...
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

The Bismuth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2010, 08:02:36 pm »

Went for a swim in the sea and my head melted.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2010, 09:47:11 pm »

That was all non-flavor, and the epilogue came from legends mode. I only got names of two of the 8 kids, but they both made it out alive. I presume they're presently wandering the wilds, and I'd like to think they took Mezbuth's hammer with them. :P

Also, the dwarves and goblins may now be at war. I'll have to wait for a romp in Fortress Mode to figure that out.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2010, 10:12:07 pm »

got into some swamps, found a swamp titan, killed it, went to a forest and found a forest titan, killed it, found a cyclopes, took it's head off, then bled to death from a cut in my ear......
Nom nom nom

RevReese

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing has never been so much fun!
    • View Profile
    • https://terencebennett.wordpress.com/
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2010, 06:29:35 am »

Spent all day watching 'Let's Play's on youtube of adventure mode to prepare myself...
Spent an hour reading through legends and looking at maps...
Spent half an hour allocating skills.
Spent an hour talking to everyone in my home town who all told me to "experience the thunder" by climbing a temple or something *shrug* .
Torn to shreds by a hail of silver crossbow bolts within five minutes of entering a town apparently populated mainly by human children, priests and prisoners....with crossbows.
I left a fisherman and a priest bleeding to death though..must check the scrolls and see what happened to them...

Then I will be back....

dudemauler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2011, 03:55:40 pm »

My first death was quite interesting.

The first person I talked to said, "Don't travel at night, or the bogeyman will get you"

I went traveling at night, and guess what? The bogeyman got me.
I love this. In three pages we've gone from being willing to eat intelligent beings, to trying to make them *more* intelligent, so it will be more fun to eat them.
Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2011, 04:15:17 pm »

2010 was my first time and it gave me wolfs :P
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

StreetPizza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2011, 11:49:58 pm »

Lotsa fun, my first death was. Here's pretty much what happened:

I picked a dwarf with an axe (original, I know) and decided to set off into the unknown in search for treasure and glory! ...and stuff. Only problem was, I had no idea how to get out of the fortress I spawned in. Ten minutes of groping around later, I decided, fuck it, I'll just bury my axe in the next guy's forehead. And I did. Before the poor guy even had a chance to react, he was on the ground, bleeding, and unconscious. That was cool, I thought. And then the guy died and before I could react, some other guy fired a crossbow bolt through the back of my head and into my brain from across the fortress walls. I enjoyed that.
the soapmaker Urist McSudsy has come!  Beware his deadly cleansing action!

ExdeathV

• Bay Watcher
  • God damn boogeymen. Can't you just let me sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 01:07:36 am »

So here's the story of how my first adventure went down.

Alright, I got tired of being the usual dwarf and decided to become a(n) hippie elf. Started out with being an archer with some points in swimming so I don't meet my fate like most of the people here. So right now, I'm slaying megabeasts and night creatures like they're freaking nothing. So I'm lucky for now. I'm a hero to all of the races except goblins. So I decide to pretty much become the elven batman. I'm near a goblin base, and I decide to check it out. I'm facing some halberders, lashers, swordsmen, and marksmen. All from different races. So right now, I'm picking em off, some from headshots, others from taking a thrown weapon to the face. I'm saving children left to right. Freeing prisoners, and killing goblins along the way. Now here's where my luck changes, right now, I'm off to finish off the last night creature I know, as I'm going to his lair, I decide to have some fun and kill a freaking horse that's walking around. I walk up to it and punch it in the head, it says it got hurt, and the next thing I know the horse breaks my leg with one freaking kick. Then those human bandits start appearing and I'm firing arrows like there's no tomorrow. A  human marksman suddenly shoots my right hand and I can't run. After walking a few squares, he hits me stright in the other leg, I'm paralyzed. So as a last resort, I throw everything. My bow, my arrows, my food and clothes. He dies. I decide to end it all by going to sleep. I never woke up. Man that was a fun experience.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2011, 03:04:30 am »

a wolf bit my finger. I bled out.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

ExdeathV

• Bay Watcher
  • God damn boogeymen. Can't you just let me sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2011, 10:02:39 pm »

Anyone here get pissed off when you can destroy megabeasts and demons without breaking a sweat, but a freaking kick by the weakest animal you can think of automatically screws you over?

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2011, 05:47:45 am »

I decided to go wandering off to adveture on my own at night, wihthout having read the wiki. I think you get the image.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4