Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: First Death in DF 2010 adventure mode?  (Read 5138 times)

ssfsx17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Death in DF 2010 adventure mode?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 11:55:14 am »

Took on a Cyclops. He got lucky and shoulder-charged me against the wall. It all went downhill from there.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 07:39:55 pm »

Thrown off the top of a goblin tower by a skink in the pouring rain.

Epic battle. I may have to go back and get revenge now, though...
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 08:36:53 pm »

I had adventured through the deep caverns for about two hours of real time, killing a ton of things, until I finally ran out of food. I was starving but kept moving on, until I found a bottomless pit. I decided I was going to die soon anyway, and I'd MUCH rather go out diving into a bottomless pit than just starving.
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 09:19:19 pm »

I bled to death after my nervous system rotted, after a long campaign of not being hurt by anything.

I don't know why my brain and spine decided to rot, I also don't know why I bled to death with no wounds.

Maybe someone can explain to me.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube -Videos of my tricking progression-
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 01:04:11 am »

Got shot in the throat with a crossbow bolt, but due to superhuman toughness managed to wipe out two towns before I went to sleep and then died of blood loss.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 01:34:13 am »

Got a quest by a town warlord to kill a demon.  Demon turned out to be the same town's law-giver.  Demon law-giver gave me a quest to kill a dragon.  Killed the dragon, but I didn't get a title after the demon thanked me.  So then I killed the demon.  All without a scratch mind you.  Went back to the meadhall (trailing a mob of children and townies) to claim my reward from the warlord, but he was in more of a head-chopping mood and didn't want to talk.  So I killed him too.

Then a couple hunters and bowmen shot me to pieces before a woodcutter finished me off.  Took an awful long time, even with me unconscious after taking too many bronze bolts to the neck.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 01:45:18 am »

My first guy gave into starvation, as did my second and third.

I've only lost one guy in actual combat, and I took off my armor and dropped my shield because I wanted to see what poison was like in actual adventure mode and you're pretty much invulnerable in DF2010.

I also lost a guy by jumping off a cliff in the underground because I was tired of wandering aimlessly.
Shoes...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 02:22:48 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spent 3 hours training him. I have no words :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 02:25:10 pm »

My first guy gave into starvation, as did my second and third.

I've only lost one guy in actual combat, and I took off my armor and dropped my shield because I wanted to see what poison was like in actual adventure mode and you're pretty much invulnerable in DF2010.

I also lost a guy by jumping off a cliff in the underground because I was tired of wandering aimlessly.

Go fight a giant and THEN come back and tell me you're almost invulnerable in DF2010...
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 03:01:11 pm »

I got packed by elven people, i thought I could run into the middle of a elven place and live, well, when you faint due to fighting to much, your lucky to have your weapon still in your hand.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2010, 03:11:10 pm »

The first died due to bleeding from a cut to the throat. The second also died to bleeding, but - this was due to a cut on the nose. Or rather, a wooden arrow to the nose. The bleeding never stopped, and I only died after I've stabbed most of the elven capital to death.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2010, 03:15:17 pm »

The second also died to bleeding, but - this was due to a cut on the nose. Or rather, a wooden arrow to the nose.

I don't think that's so much a booboo on the nose, so much as an arrowshaft punched through the guy's nasal cavity.  Then again, that old Chechen dude survived a hit like that.  Maybe Dwarf Fortress biology puts a lot of arteries in the nose instead of the throat?
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 03:37:42 pm »

Went for my first romp through the new Adventure Mode, and it was rather epic. I left the mountainhomes a trained Hammerdwarf, to liberate the dwarven children kidnapped by Goblin thieves, and arrived at the Dark Towers at dawn. Clambering up a nearby mountain, I spied the top of a tower that ran against the side of the mountian, and lept down onto the parapets from the cliffs above. I was winded for a moment after the fall, and a human guard was on me in moments. Luckily, he didn't know how to use his halberd, and went down quickly. A Human Ranger opened fire at me through a crowd of peasants, but only caught my shield. I hurled a handful of sand at his face, and caught him with the hammer solidly enough to knocked him out against the parapets.

Just then, the Warleader for the tower, a burly dwarf wielding a Sivler Maul, charged up the tower steps, and challenged me to combat. His training and equipment were far better than mine, and I couldn't hit him. He bruised my leg pretty bad, but I managed to dodge his next charging attack, which put some distance between us. I ran to the fallen Human Guard from earlier, and grabbed his Halberd, hurling it at the War Leader, which managed to sever his left leg. As he went down, I quickly closed, and finished him with a crushing blow to the head, recovering his Iron Shield and Armor, but leaving the Silver Maul with his corpse.

I then ran down the tower steps, and into the rooms below where the prisoners were held. Some of the residents came after me, but none were armed or skilled, and though one managed to punch me in the jaw and knock loose a tooth, I just tumbled past them. Descending to the bottom floor, I found two dwarven children cowering in the corner, and quickly told them to come with me. As we left, a dwarven miner stood in the doorway. I tried to walk past him, but he brandished his pick, and swung it to pierce right through my iron boot. The children stayed back as I went after him with my hammer... but he skillfully parried swing after swing, counterstriking with his mining pick. I finally scored a minor blow to his body, but his pick came down and pierced out my right eye. Bleeding badly, I dropped the hammer and shield, and grabbed the mining pick with both hands, pulling it from the wound, and wrenched it from his grasp, before tossing it to the floor behind me. Still bleeding, and half blind, I grabbed my equipment and struck him soundly, knocking him to the ground. A worthy opponent, I decided to leave him alive, and I fled with the children from the tower.

As I crossed over to the second tower, I ran across  5 more dwarven children and a human prisoner, who joined me as well. There were few guards left to stand in my way, and I cleared the tower with little trouble. As I left the second tower, I was jumped around a corner by a Human Thief, who slashed me from behind. Another Human Thief was nearby as well, and they both flanked me, cutting through the iron mail with their daggers. I withdrew into a larger chamber, where the children had been hiding during the battle, and pulled out a quiver recovered from a fallen Ranger, hurling iron bolts like darts at the two thieves. I caught one in the leg, and the other in the arm and body, and they both went down from pain. So much for lack of depth-perception!

I then fled north with the 8 children in tow, to return to the Dwarven lands, but as we went we ran across a ring of engraved pillars, surrounding a pool of water. Images of waves, water, and a Human God of Twilight were engraved everywhere surrounding the pool. As we drew near, a High Priest known as The Holy Rumor shouted a challenge down from a ring of walkways atop the pillars. Since he wouldn't come down to fight me, I hurled my Hammer up at him, and nailed his body before it clattered down into the temple pool below, staining the water with his blood. I ran up a ramp and faced down the Holy Rumor, and the children gathered at the pillars below, looking up as we grappled with each other. It was a precarious fight, and we teetered on the edge of the platform, but despite our wounds neither of us went down. As a new troop of guards neared the temple, and the cowering children, I knew I didn't have long. I sidestepped the Priest, positioning him between me and the pool below, and bullrushed him, tackling him off of the high ledge, but falling in the process.

We hit the water hard, and slammed into the stone tiles below, stunning and knocking the air from our lungs. I didn't know how to swim, and knew he and I would both drown, so I crawled over to where my hammer had landed in the pool. I picked it up, and with the last of my strength tossed it up to the ledge where the children were gathered, hoping to arm them with something before darkness overtook me.

So ends the adventure of Mezbuth Crestchanneled "The Crystalline Gallows"

Epilogue: The children managed to escape the guards, and the Dark Towers, and return to their homes. The goblins were furious, and declared Mezbuth's homeland their enemy, as they fished his corpse from the pool and spitted him on a pike for killing their Priest and Warleader, and freeing their prisoners. The miner who struck Mezbuth's eye out survived his wounds, and continued his work.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2010, 03:55:00 pm »

The second also died to bleeding, but - this was due to a cut on the nose. Or rather, a wooden arrow to the nose.

I don't think that's so much a booboo on the nose, so much as an arrowshaft punched through the guy's nasal cavity.  Then again, that old Chechen dude survived a hit like that.  Maybe Dwarf Fortress biology puts a lot of arteries in the nose instead of the throat?
With the way it was described, it's more like it struck sideways, and stuck in there like a native african accessory. The wound was: "Nose: bleeding; Nose, skin: cut open" and that's all.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010, 04:27:20 pm »

With the way it was described, it's more like it struck sideways, and stuck in there like a native african accessory. The wound was: "Nose: bleeding; Nose, skin: cut open" and that's all.

Maybe he's a repressed manga-character who saw some boobies after he got the nose piercing, and now it's all squirting out uncontrollably?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4