Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: All they Do is Train Dodging  (Read 3872 times)

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
All they Do is Train Dodging
« on: April 03, 2010, 12:07:23 am »

I have my Millita commander (also the Captian of the squad) training a squad of a mix of spear/axe dwarfs. They do not practice any weapon skills, all they do watch an lead in the dodge training. I will stop them from training and they still decide that they will teach dodge training.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

HorvathSaigyou

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: All they Do is Train Dodging
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 12:21:58 am »

They do combat training as well, sometimes, and sometimes they will do individual combat drills when off-duty. Try just giving up training and ordering your dwarves to run around and slay random wildlife instead. I had a dwarf go from dabbling to adept hammerdwarf just from chasing down a saltwater crocodile and bonking it with a crossbow for more than fifteen minutes. On that note, does wildlife seem a little more meek than usual to anyone else?

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 12:25:27 am »

Only surface life. The underground life is downright VICIOUS
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 12:28:02 am »

Troglodytes are still wussies untill you fucking notice they spawn three tiles from your base!
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Tarengrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 02:30:08 am »

I had a theory on training recently, that the squad only gets drills from the commander, and he can only teach what he knows.

Meaning if you just gave him a sword the first time, he won't be able to teach anyone how to use it. So you would have to send them into combat a few times for them to gain experience and then they can teach each other things.

At least that would explain why my commander (who I gave 2 Points in dodging at the beginning, no other weapon points) only was giving dodging classes to one peasant and not to my two hunters.
Just a theory though. So you can not train your dwarfs to super fighting machines anymore by just letting them train deep in the save belly of your untakeable dwarf fortress.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 10:16:12 am »

I had a theory on training recently, that the squad only gets drills from the commander, and he can only teach what he knows.

Meaning if you just gave him a sword the first time, he won't be able to teach anyone how to use it. So you would have to send them into combat a few times for them to gain experience and then they can teach each other things.

At least that would explain why my commander (who I gave 2 Points in dodging at the beginning, no other weapon points) only was giving dodging classes to one peasant and not to my two hunters.
Just a theory though. So you can not train your dwarfs to super fighting machines anymore by just letting them train deep in the save belly of your untakeable dwarf fortress.

he was an aqueduct dodger and spearmen. a training spear was also his weapon.
Story of my life.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 10:50:15 am »

Well I have all my dwarfes doing individual drills, training up weapon and fighting skill.
What doesnt increase is dodging and shield skill.

Is there a way to let them do regular sparring?

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 10:53:42 am »

It is not true, i just had 2 simultaneous drills going. Commander was teaching striking, and one other squad member teaching dodging. So i guess any squad member with some skills can teach others.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 11:04:55 am »

It is not true, i just had 2 simultaneous drills going. Commander was teaching striking, and one other squad member teaching dodging. So i guess any squad member with some skills can teach others.
explains why units decided to drill himself
Story of my life.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 11:21:44 am »

Dodging and striking is all my dwarves do anymore. I wish I could get them to go back to individual training so they could get some weapon skill. Also, I've never once seen them doing any sparring, despite having a pile of training weapons in the corner just gathering dust.
But my biggest military complaint is that civilians keep grabbing up all the armor I make, so that half of my military dwarves are still running around naked.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 12:41:38 pm »

My dwarves have been doing nothing but training shield using. Which is nice, mind you, but I'd like if they would go beyond dabbling in anything else that's important, like dodging or WEAPON SKILLS.

On a different note, however, how do I assign a quiver to a dwarf so that he'll use it and then be able to train on an archery target?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 12:43:23 pm »

he was an aqueduct dodger
a dwarf that dodges away from water? thats new.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 01:51:47 pm »

Update!

Apparently you can have your dwarves train something else by...

(Conjecture on what I did, as I don't EXACTLY remember, and don't want to repeat as I finally got my militia commander to train axe)

1. Set squad to inactive.
2. Turn off all squad-specific settings on armor/weapon rack (training specifically)
3. Remove dwarves from the squad.
4. Reassign dwarves to squad after some time has passed.
5. Set training setting back onto rack.
6. Set squad to active/training.

It's quite a hoop to jump, but that's how I managed to (accidentally) do it. Though partially, it was out of necessity of having to take one of my dwarves off the squad so he could have some time to enjoy himself (read: tantrum prevention) anyway.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 02:00:44 pm »

They also thrist and starve themselves to death for some reason.
Story of my life.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 02:17:26 pm »

They also thrist and starve themselves to death for some reason.
I noticed that too.

Make them back packs and flasks/water skins I think and it should solve the problem.

I make sure to set them off duty whenever I see them blinking.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending
Pages: [1] 2 3