Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: All they Do is Train Dodging  (Read 3868 times)

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: All they Do is Train Dodging
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2010, 07:59:30 am »

I sent my dwarves out to hunt a mountain goat wit training swords, hoping they would beat it up for a month or two and get ledgendary swordsdwarf, but no:

First, my recruited hunter (one of the dwarves who I wanted to train a sworduser) runs straight out there and starts beating it, successfully immobilising it. The other dwarves follow, but before they get there they turn around and head back for no good reason.

The hunter stands there beating it for a few days but then it actually heals somewhat and runs off. He chases it, and while running down a slope manages to cut off three of its hooves. It still runs though, and finally the rest of the military come to help. They surround it, then, they do nothing. The hunter is still beating it, but the rest of them just stand there. Finally the hunter gets bored and walks off while one of the other military guys attacks it. Despite having brown to red wounds on every body part and significant internal organ damage it is able to outrun him though.

GAH, so much for practical training. Hopefully they might still catch this semi-alive mountain goat before it heals.

EDIT: Nevermind. One of the dwarves got thirsty and this mountain goat, despite having no hooves, was outrunning all of them and not taking any more damage. I recalled them all. Hopefully now the new guy will start training.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:06:40 am by UberNube »
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2010, 08:03:32 am »

I have caged some goblins, gonna try practicing on them, in special practice chambers, so these bastards do not run away, with some spikes linked to levers for fast kill-off.
Wonder how long it will take to kill gobbo with wooden training axe.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2010, 11:56:15 am »

That's one tough mountain goat.

But yes, it apparently takes quite a while to kill anything with a training weapon. I know this from personal experience. Forgot to reassign a dwarf to a REAL axe before sending him out to kill troglodytes. It didn't end well.
Pages: 1 2 [3]