Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: All they Do is Train Dodging  (Read 3870 times)

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: All they Do is Train Dodging
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 02:19:11 pm »

They also thrist and starve themselves to death for some reason.

Yeah, they're quite dedicated. Usually, they break briefly to grab a drink/food then get right back to it. But they also get tend to become unhappy quite often from being hungry/thirsty for too long. Once they start becoming unhappy, it's a good idea to take them off the roster so they can spend some time enjoying themselves. Also consider engraving your barracks, placing a statue or two there, etc.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 02:46:49 pm »

They also thrist and starve themselves to death for some reason.

Yeah, they're quite dedicated. Usually, they break briefly to grab a drink/food then get right back to it. But they also get tend to become unhappy quite often from being hungry/thirsty for too long. Once they start becoming unhappy, it's a good idea to take them off the roster so they can spend some time enjoying themselves. Also consider engraving your barracks, placing a statue or two there, etc.
I do that from now on.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

RiceMunk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 04:53:01 pm »

One thing I've noticed that helps as well is modifying the default training schedule to give the squads a "vacation" month every now and then.
Of course currently it's all bugged out so the squaddies will keep training all the time regardless of the schedule or if they're even in a squad anymore. Still, my militia has been getting a lot less pissed off after I started giving them vacation months every second month.

I absolutely love this new military system. After the worst bugs have been weeded out from it, I can just see the dorf patrols making constant rounds on the countryside, on my upper keep walls and... and... everywhere! And I don't have to micromanage it myself all the time! Yay! <3
Quote from: DF2010 Bug Report
Wounded baby spams "cancels clean self: too insane."

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 07:09:57 pm »

Yeah, the fact that they train regardless of what you want so long as they're in a squad at all and there's a barracks somewhere is kind of annoying.  I wanted to have a whole fortress where everyone trained for the winter months, but once I put them in a squad they all started individual combat drills and only removing the barracks got them out of that.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 08:24:10 pm »

And I STILL Can't get them to train in crossbows. Even though I have an expert a crossbow in the lead and bone bolts.

I'm FURIOUS here. They have quivers, they have ALL THEY NEED and yet they're teaching each other to be HAMMER DWARVES D:<
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 09:36:42 pm »

I found out it is much easier to train them by attacking the creatures on the first underground cave
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 10:42:27 pm »

I'm starting to think they just get stuck or something, because none of my new recruits are training at all and I made absolutely sure none of them are lazy.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

hasonish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look into my eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 11:06:09 pm »

I've just learned something.  The dwarfs that are "inactive" in a squad will "individual combat drill" in their respective barracks.  Individual combat drills train their weapon skills.  So what I've done is just set the squad to Inactive, it seems to work for some reason.  Make sure they have a barracks assigned to them that lets them train.

Anyone else confirm if this actually works for them too?

As for the marksdwarves, I still can't get them to actually shoot at targets, or shoot at enemies, no matter what.  I've heard some people have success, but nobody has explained how they did it. D=

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 11:35:43 pm »

I can confirm that. Inactive does individual sessions, which grant quick individual skill gains; active does group sessions, which likely works better once you have a few legendary skills to teach.
I still want to know how to make them spar though.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 11:37:30 pm »

I've just learned something.  The dwarfs that are "inactive" in a squad will "individual combat drill" in their respective barracks.  Individual combat drills train their weapon skills.  So what I've done is just set the squad to Inactive, it seems to work for some reason.  Make sure they have a barracks assigned to them that lets them train.

Anyone else confirm if this actually works for them too?

As for the marksdwarves, I still can't get them to actually shoot at targets, or shoot at enemies, no matter what.  I've heard some people have success, but nobody has explained how they did it. D=
It's like the cake. It's a lie. This is gonna be a new D for Dwarf article, wait and see.

Anyway, same here. I want to be able to reenable sparring so that MAYBE they'll grab the stupid bolts and SHOOT AT FREAKING TARGETS!!!

At this point I'm basically going to be making a bunch of iron axes and setting them to THAT instead... GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 11:46:35 pm »

Yeah, I'd like to know the answer, too. Even worse, after you take them off the squad, they'll still be sitting in one specific place 'Going to archery practice'. At least, until you take a wrecking ball to the archery target. Then they'll snap out of its hypnotic command.

...All hail hypno-target. All hail hypno-target.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2010, 05:14:49 am »

There are numerous training skills. Maybe gain is very dependent on them?
For 'teacher' there are 'Organiser', 'Leader', 'Teacher', and for students 'Observer' and 'Student'. Sure while both teacher and students are at dabbling, it takes ages, but maybe it would be worth it after legendary.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 05:59:47 am »

I've had dwarves both going out hunting AND training at an archery target as part of the military. the key is to assign ammunition in the military screen to either hunters or xbow squads. The default ammunition is 100 units of ammo but i've found it better to reduce that level to <50. So long as your dorfs have bows and quivers, they should go and grab that amount of ammo from your stockpiles - you can even select which ones they chose from and whether to use them for combat or training. Then set up an archery range, 'q' it and set to (T) for that particular squad.. they should go there to train. When you want them to stop training there, remove the T.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2010, 06:21:03 am »

OH, your dwarves actually train.? I`m impressed and saddened.  :'(

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010, 06:25:36 am »

well, actually, it was a single dwarf so he had the monopoly on all the bolts, quivers, waterskins and backpacks. I was sick of my woodcutters chasing after hordes of monkeys and never catching them, so I made a new xbow dwarf in a squad of their own, and assigned them a weapon that could outrun the monkeys.
Pages: 1 [2] 3