Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves Not Digging  (Read 9023 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves Not Digging
« on: April 03, 2010, 12:01:27 am »

So I have seen dwarves dig before. But I genned a new world and embarked near a major river. I tried to dig underneath it, got to the other side and hit an aquifer. Retreated a level up.

The dwarves dug out four squares and now refuse to dig anything else.

Anywhere.

For any reason.

They are not hungry or thirsty. They have all their picks. I know how to play this game.

They just sit around with NO JOB and don't dig.

EDIT: I don't know what I did, but I seem to have fixed it. But they -were- not digging.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 12:05:12 am by lastofthelight »

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves Not Digging
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 12:07:34 am »

So I have seen dwarves dig before. But I genned a new world and embarked near a major river. I tried to dig underneath it, got to the other side and hit an aquifer. Retreated a level up.

The dwarves dug out four squares and now refuse to dig anything else.

Anywhere.

For any reason.

They are not hungry or thirsty. They have all their picks. I know how to play this game.

They just sit around with NO JOB and don't dig.

EDIT: I don't know what I did, but I seem to have fixed it. But they -were- not digging.

Just checking but are they assigned to a burrow?

Coded One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 12:13:23 am »

This has happened to me as well. Saving and reloading does not seem to fix it. I just ignore them and tend to my other fortress tasks and they seem to start mining again after a while.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 12:14:34 am »

I'm not using or messing with the burrows yet. So thats not an issue here.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 01:40:36 am »

I also had miners decide to retire after a year or so. I hadn't breached the caverns yet, and newly drafted miners picked up newly forged picks and took off. The veterans just loafed around their rooms all day refusing to work.

Union regs, I bet.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 05:30:40 am »

It might be the same bug I got. My miners would only mine the rock face once and then leave, instead of advancing into the tunnel they were digging.

I solved it by modifying the init files with [PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:2] and [G_FPS_CAP:15]. The cause was apparently that the game was taking too long to recognise that the new squares were now accessible, so the miners quit the mining job and left.

jokuvaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 07:21:13 am »

i had this happen twice, both times when messing with water, first time i was channeling water and it bugged it, second time i was channeling and breaking through aquifer and it got bugged...

maybe its related to channeling water?
Thikut Inethmuzish, Recruit cancels Shooting at Archery Range: Too Insane.

tweinst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 01:16:32 pm »

I had the same thing happen to me, after I broke into a water-filled cavern complex. I had my fort walled off from the outside to keep the skeletal yetis out and I was trying to dig down to find some wood. After I started digging out and trying to bridge across the water with flooring, I had a lot of trouble with miners not mining and masons not constructing floors.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 04:16:35 pm »

i have the same bug, only with masons

i ordered a large wall to be build around my lowland fort
after building quite a large portion of it, masons just seat next to a part of the wall and refuse to work

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 11:19:30 pm »

Did you guys UN-designate the water tiles that scared the miners off?

Is it possible they were continuously re-considering whether they really wanted to dig in an aquifer tile and were in some kind of loop?

Though as I recall the previous version auto-un-designated water threat tiles, and if you re-designated them the dwarves would happily go hack them out and flood your fortress.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 08:17:50 pm »

A sudden thought, which may be unlikely considering the new release being bug ridden: Try looking at your dorfs bios, maybe theres something in there that states they hate working long hour or something. It might have been a change Toady made along with the other bio stuff.

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 10:59:09 am »

The problem has come up quite often with me, where I am trying to dig through an aquifer.  They'll dig down, find the water, and then seem to loose all sense of direction or that anything is happening.  I've had miners starve and die of dehydration..with a stair way up and easy access to the food and water, because of this oddity.

Also, it seems to be water related in general.  The same has happened to me when attempting to dig through Ice on a Glacier.

Jazhuis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 11:10:58 am »

Try building a door, locking it, then unlocking it. It may not help, but it seems to have helped other people with a similar situation. The theory is that locking and unlocking the door forces a reset of the pathing tree, so the miners will actually see something else to do.

Pickled Tink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 09:51:51 pm »

I had a similar issue appear when digging in my fort (Before HFS claimed it). My dwarves would, when i designated tunnels, for some inexplicable reason suddenly decide to never dig out any tile that was, at the time the goof suddenly happened, unexplored (Later designations on the now explored stone failed to get a response). I never found out what caused it to happen, but saving and reloading always fixed it. I guess in hindsight it could be a pathing bug where the fact that new walkable areas have been created just doesn't register.

TauQuebb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 07:35:29 am »

Odd bug, closesed thing that has happened for me is the military taking the picks for weapons.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:37:10 am by TauQuebb »
Pages: [1] 2