Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Keep butchery items simple  (Read 641 times)

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Keep butchery items simple
« on: April 02, 2010, 11:53:18 pm »

The massive amount of items reclaimed by a butchery of an animal is a bit over the top. I'd like an init option to keep it simple, such as getting "Meat, liver, kidney, heart, hide, and byproducts" rather than what we see at the moment.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Keep butchery items simple
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 04:48:45 am »

I'd rather make it change the display than changing the actual yield, that's less complicated to code, with fewer potential side effects. Spleen, liver, etc. would be displayed as "organ".
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 04:50:31 am by Silverionmox »
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 05:45:11 am »

IMHO, all you should get are meat, guts, bones, skull and skin.

Skin can be tanned, meat can be eaten, and the extracts/fat/etc. can all be taken from the guts, skulls and bones are used in crafting (if not for totems which seem to require skulls, I'd get rid of the skull and lump them in with bones).

Then zombie critters drop the rotten version of meat/guts/skin and normal bones/skull, while skeletons drop only skull/bones.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 06:02:55 am »

Being detailed to a nigh-ridiculous level is one of the thinga what make DF unique and attractive:P
Actually it would be better if it will be possible to catalogue various organs as "Prepared organs"or things alike in stock report while retaining the ability to make various +Cow liver roast+ though:)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 06:16:10 am »

The complexity was introduced for a reason. The stocks screen is meant for this kind of thing. Brains, intestines etc will be used for different recipies in the future. If you went to Bembül and asked him what he's got there and he replied with "mmmeat" while flapping about what is clearly a liver or bits of brains, the game wouldn't be getting important information across. It's the stocks screen's job say you have # edible meat.

The weird part is, it's the tanner's job to remove the hair from the hide by soaking the thing in lime. What the hell did the butcher do, SHAVE the cow? This needs to be sorted as it took us even further away from fur clothing, something unacceptable if the cold is ever to become something to be vary of. I noticed the release broke temperature even harder; there's a grand total of 1 cold region square between temperate regions and permafrost. I want my winter dammit!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 06:23:38 am »

I remember talking to Toady a bit about cultural preferences and that sort of thing, for organ meat and other edibles. I can definitely see that sort of thing being implemented, where certain meats in certain cultures are used more, or thrown out, or fed to the dogs, or whatever. Not to mention if any complex notion of nutrition comes in, but who knows about that.

There are also other potential uses for organs and such, like catgut from intestines, and medicinal stuff.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==