Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Operation FHO (Massive Spoilers)  (Read 3137 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Operation FHO (Massive Spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 04:36:47 am »

It seems that a good deal of demons are both magma and water invunerable. They might be vunerable to ice, but this is moot as your plan involves dropping it past your world's mantle and into hell. Even dwarven physics can't make that work.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 04:53:03 am »

It seems possible, but it's FUCKING HARD. You'll have to dig away all of the rock, earth and other caves and then dump several thousand tonnes of water onto demons that are trying to kill you.

Unless temperature is "fixed" so that the cold just dissipates on its way down.
This is -ing good wood!

Kaolix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 05:45:45 am »

I can think of a safe way to do it without having to really face the HFS before insta-frosting them.

Basically, dig your giant hole down as far as you can be sure is safe, first, but leave a cap on top of it, and a floor at the bottomost point you are certain is safe. Then, flood this tube. As it has a cap on top, and is still technically 'underground', you should be able to fill it with unfrozen water. Next, continue digging one z level below the floor of your tube, and be prepared . . . you should now have a system that looks like this: (Side View)
-----------------
############
#WWWWWWWWW
#WWWWWWWW#         - = Open Space
#WWWWWWWW#         W = Water
    .                             # = wall
    .                             D = Urist McMiner
#WWWWWWWW#
############
#--------------#
#---------D----#
############
#HFS somewhere#
#under here       #

Now, as soon as you notice that you have reached the HFS, mine out the edges of the cap on top of your water column. With luck, the central portion will cave in, smash through the 'floor' a few layers above the HFS, and then smash through the ceiling of the HFS itself, opening it up quite nicely. Water should now flood in, and then freeze.

The only problems I forsee with this would be the time it takes to mine out the edges of the tunnel's roof. But that issue can be solved by building a second floor above it, suspended on one support which has a lever to activate it - as soon as hfs is breached, pull lever, boom and frozen hell.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 09:25:58 am »

once you freeze it over best grap a pick and make a fort down there.
I don't know if smoothing slade makes it digable or just building a floor is the only way but I would love to see a trade/raiders try to get me under ~150z levels.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 09:47:49 am »

I can think of a safe way to do it without having to really face the HFS before insta-frosting them.

(description of the idea)
Won't the column of water freeze before it falls? And even if you can work around that, won't you end up with an ice plug that prevents you from filling the rest of hell? I think you need to flood it first, and only then expose each column to the upper air (which probably requires draining the great magma sea, too!)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 10:36:08 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 01:14:08 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Ryko Nailo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 11:23:47 pm »

I already had an exploration shaft go down ahead of time to find the magma ocean and the pillars of adamantium. Since there were several I just picked one and started digging a perfect copy of the column down from the surface. I'll probably try multiple approaches each on each of the columns. I have a massive aquifer which thankfully is providing a ton of unlimited water and since I'm in a freezing biome was easy enough to dig thru.

But definately good points both for and against the massive pillar of water strategy. I think I'll attempt that on the second on but for the first I will simply dig out probably a dozen or two whole z levels and let them fill with water, all having many floodgates that open to the shaft to hell that hopefully will fill it fast enough. The trouble as has been pointed out and as I've learned trying to fight batmen sabotaging my shaft construction is that I need some way to kill these demons fast. Even with dozens upon dozens of waterfalls I doubt it would be fast enough, especially since it would have to fall hundreds of z levels. I do like the cause a cave in to smash the demons idea but then I'd have to go to hell to clear the rubble out of the way. I think I'll have to leave a cap somewhere in the shaft to prevent the water from freezing up in the pillar now that you've pointed it out though.

As for draining the magma sea, wouldn't simply dumping an even larger amount of water on it turn it all into obsidian which I could then mine out?

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 01:16:07 am »

This would make a great community fortress. A military expedition from the far corners of the dwarven empire. Each man knowing that they will surely die....only to be replaced by another expedition, again and again....

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 05:57:35 am »

Personally I'd try to sort out the initial demon onslaught with a giant ice spear being dropped down a shaft into hell.
Pages: 1 [2]