Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Civlizations? No caravans?  (Read 565 times)

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No Civlizations? No caravans?
« on: April 02, 2010, 08:17:39 pm »

I've played a couple of forts so far, and they seem to whither and die to various food-related issues (i.e. not enough).  Normally, I stock up on food and drink whenever a trade caravan comes by, but so far I've had a fort go two years without a single elf, dwarf, or human delivery.

I thought it was odd, so I copied the file and then abandoned the fort in the copy and looked around for other civilizations, only to find there were none.  There were only Dwarfs, and even then I couldn't trade with them everywhere (mostly in wastelands which makes sense).

I've generated several maps, both island and non, and so far I haven't been able to create a map with non-dwarf civilizations.  I've even upped the number of starting civs there are.  Is anyone else having this problem?
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

AzureShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Civlizations? No caravans?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 08:21:03 pm »

I might be wrong on this, but I'm fairly sure you don't see the other civs until they send their caravans to you. Elves will start on your second spring, if that helps.

Also, if you're having food issues, I highly recommend setting up a farm as one of your first projects, bringing 30 or so food seeds along with you to start. It really helps, trust me.
These are the kinds of bugs that make DF the game it is.  Magma vanishing?  Oops, it's all being sucked down by hell.
This is how everything works. This, right here, is DF.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 08:23:41 pm »

Ah, I see.  I generally work on farms first, but I'm still trying to get my embark loadout right, so I'm not surprised my dwarfs are starving.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 09:44:15 pm »

No one is sending me wagons oddly, which is odd, since I have wagon access... at least, the humans didn't... oh well, I'll create more roads all over the place and see if that helps.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 10:00:37 pm »

I might be wrong on this, but I'm fairly sure you don't see the other civs until they send their caravans to you. Elves will start on your second spring, if that helps.

Also, if you're having food issues, I highly recommend setting up a farm as one of your first projects, bringing 30 or so food seeds along with you to start. It really helps, trust me.

I'm pretty sure that he meant that the world map didn't have other civilizations and they should show up.  For example, I know that I settled in a place that only elves and dwarves have access too.

Also, it seems like food is harder to come by.  Add the increased immigration from the incredible value of your site, and getting enough food becomes really tricky.  I had a really close call earlier and didn't even get my farms running until I'd already run out of food, after buying some from a caravan.  And I set all my idlers to farmers to get them planted fast.