Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Narrow Clothes  (Read 1341 times)

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
Narrow Clothes
« on: March 03, 2008, 08:11:00 am »

Just a simple suggestion regarding the massive amount of spare narrow clothing that is ruining the dwarven economy and putting good, honest craftsdwarves out of work.   :)

Would it be possible to just give gobboes a single clothing item? Something like a "narrow outfit" that represents all the clothing they're wearing but only uses up a single slot.

I know some players won't be happy about losing out on all those narrow socks they could be selling, but maybe the price of the outfit could be adjusted to reflect how much mulitple items would be worth?

--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Ma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Narrow Clothes
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 10:13:00 am »

Or maybe keep the diversity of clothing but allow dwarves to grab and store the whole set of clothes in one single trip ?

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 12:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Maître Smaug Capello:
<STRONG>Or maybe keep the diversity of clothing but allow dwarves to grab and store the whole set of clothes in one single trip ?</STRONG>

What?! Do you realise how heave a narrow sock is?! As if a mere dwarf would be able to carry more than one piece of clothing at a time!  :roll:

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

veryinky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 12:33:00 pm »

I've wanted haulers to use bags and backpacks to haul multiple items for a while now.

Either way, there's no reason why goblin clothing is so valuable. Only goblins can wear them, so they should have no resale value. If there was a way to reclaim the cloth/silk used in them, to use into making new clothes, then there'd be some point.

As it is, I think that merchants shouldn't accept clothing that doesn't fit them. Nor carry items that can't be used by the person they're selling to. (No more elves bringing lots of socks that my dwarves can't wear)

It would be nice if dwarves could make clothing and armor in the sizes of different races, for export. Along with large humanoid weapons like bows, two handed swords and mauls. For exports. A human wouldn't pay a premium price for a masterpiece steel platemail suit that could not be used by anyone other than dwarves (maybe paying scrap metal price, for melting down)

Yobgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 09:08:00 pm »

"A human wouldn't pay a premium price for a masterpiece steel platemail suit that could not be used by anyone other than dwarves"

A human -merchant- would, because after he buys it off of you, he plans to stop by the Dwarf Fortress across the valley, where they haven't managed to get their steelworks going yet, yet are plagued by zombie trout.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 11:32:00 pm »

Just forbid the narrow clothes, or dump the clothing into a pit of lava to remove it from gameplay and keep it out of your shops.
No need to reduce the complexity of the game by making a "Goblin Suit" it'd be like making a "Dwarf Suit" which would make shopping for clothes... less fun.

[ March 03, 2008: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 02:17:00 am »

I don't agree with the OP. There isn't any real reason for it, especially since you have said that the price of the "narrow suit2 would be as high as the full set currently is now.

What I do think would make sence is if the price for non-fitting clothing was a lot lower when selling to a merchant.

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 08:28:00 am »

Hauling tons of narrow silk loincloths is boring, and lags the game horribly. I wish Toady could find a workaround for that, it's a real pain in the ass. I suggest to make all gobbos naked, just with a breastplate and an helm (gobbo clothing is so worthless that the dwarves do not even pick it up and leave it to rot on the corpse).

And, can anyone explain why a soiled loincloth worn by a goblin killed in battle (so, covered in sweat, grime, lice, blood, vomit, s**t and p**s) is worth more than a masterwork stone idol?????????

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 09:43:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Goatse:
<STRONG>Hauling tons of narrow silk loincloths is boring, and lags the game horribly. I wish Toady could find a workaround for that, it's a real pain in the ass. I suggest to make all gobbos naked, just with a breastplate and an helm (gobbo clothing is so worthless that the dwarves do not even pick it up and leave it to rot on the corpse).

And, can anyone explain why a soiled loincloth worn by a goblin killed in battle (so, covered in sweat, grime, lice, blood, vomit, s**t and p**s) is worth more than a masterwork stone idol?????????</STRONG>

I hear that there are machines for buying used underwear in japan. Maybe all creatres in DF have a goblin fetich of a bissare nature.

Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 10:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Goatse:
<STRONG>And, can anyone explain why a soiled loincloth worn by a goblin killed in battle (so, covered in sweat, grime, lice, blood, vomit, s**t and p**s) is worth more than a masterwork stone idol?????????</STRONG>

First of all, I don't think it matters if it is soiled or not.  A loincloth covered in blood and vomit has the same value as a minty fresh loincloth as far as I know.  

The difference in value is due entirely to the materials.  A stone idol, no matter how well crafted, is still just a rock.  A loincloth made out of giant cave spider silk may not be useful or well made, but giant cave spider silk, presumably, is extremely nice material.  It is also rare and extremely difficult to harvest.  

Thus spake Econ 101:  quality + rarity + production cost = cha-ching!

Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 12:43:00 pm »

It's rare except in goblinland, apparently, where every drunk wears silk gloves.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 03:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>It's rare except in goblinland, apparently, where every drunk wears silk gloves.</STRONG>

They live in caves, which have chasms, which is the only place GCS spawn.

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 12:34:00 am »

Hey, those traders are sly, they'll take the silk off the goblin dead and trade it right back to them.

Xombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 12:46:00 am »

turn all that nice items into 'goblin suit'? No. What next? 'Armor suits'? All my metallurgy based on melting narrow armor pieces btw.

And there is nothing wrong with merchants buying stuff they don`t use.

Wrong is that merchants want to *sell* large or narrow armors to me.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 06:55:00 am »

An alternate temporary workaround is to edit the raws and pull out the references to wear clothing and the item types from gobbos and kobolds. Not sure, but I think you need to generate a new world to do it, but man it improves the game.
Pages: [1] 2