Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: marmot monster tamed the jabbers of the depths of the world???  (Read 1159 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so this is spoilers for legend mode, i guess.  if there is such a thing.

i asked this in a "legend mode changes" thread, but its falling off the page and I wanted to get some attention to the question.  what the heck does this mean?

I've got all sorts of monsters and demons and devils and such, seemingly randomly generated.  They roam the underworld in the time before time, and find their way out somewhere around year 1.  Some of them find civilizations, and become leaders of them.  I have seen them take positions, and even CREATE positions like "Master" and "Law-Giver" either by "force of persuasion" or by "threat of violence".

Tequil the Ravining One-Eyed Marmot Monster (whos fire you should be warry of) didnt have to create the position of master, it looks like he just eased into it about year 6.  He then proceded to war on a Dwarf Mountain home, and largely kick ass and take names.  burrying people alive, buring them to death, hacking them, to pieces.  it wasnt pretty.

Anyway, next -- and this is where my question comes in -- he heads BACK to the underworld.  presumeably he still has some homeys back there, or maybe someone owes him on fantasy bloodbowl bet or something.  he proceedes to Tame the Giant Cave Swallows, Elk Birds, Giant Olms, and Rutherers in the depths of the world.

He heads back home to murder an elf in his capital, and kill a mountain titan in self defense.  BACK to the underworld, he continues to tame Voracious Cave Crawlers, Cave Crocodiles, and Jabberers.

So what is he doing with this massive menagerie?  do they show up as pets wandering around his home town that will be seen in adventure mode?  does his home town have some sort of enterance to the underworld in it?  will those tamed creatures show up if his civilization sieges me in fortress mode?

(sadly, ol' Tequil was struck down and eaten by a hydra some 200 years after his last trip to the underworld, but it might be worth regenning that seed to see what happens if i try to go visit him.)

edit - interestingly, I just discovered that Tequil was the last of his civilization, the dwarves humans and elves had been all killed off in previous years (pocket world here) and Tequil's dark tower was the last bastion of civilization before that Hydra wiped them out in 399.  Now its an unending age of myth.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 08:06:25 pm by puke »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: marmot monster tamed the jabbers of the depths of the world???
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 08:17:24 pm »

Heh, amusing. I'd suggest doing what you said about regenning the world and ending it earlier and visiting. Perhaps he wanders around with a personal army at his side.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 09:15:49 pm »

well i cruised in there in year 200, which i guess was too late for any other playable creatures to still be alive in the world.  it let me make a goblin adventurer though, since Tequil was technically still ruling that dark tower and goblin civ.

there were no living goblins left, no tamed underworld animals, no visible enterance to the underworld, nothing but Tequil hanging out.  He didnt want to join me, but he did let me work for him.  sent me out to kill that hydra which was destined to eat him in about 199 years.

when i returned from the quest, he was nowhere to be found.  I checked the Q map and told it to direct me to the location of my quest -- and it behaved strangely.  switched from the recognizeable parchment worldmap to something else, filled with mountain icons and a 3x3 block of blue O's at the bottom left designating the target.  the @ sign was on there near the upper middle.  not sure what was going on with that, maybe Tequil had headed back to the underworld again.

hard to say.  maybe if I could get to the underworld, those things he tamed would have been freindly to me.  cant really guess.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 09:34:53 pm »

well i cruised in there in year 200, which i guess was too late for any other playable creatures to still be alive in the world.  it let me make a goblin adventurer though, since Tequil was technically still ruling that dark tower and goblin civ.

there were no living goblins left, no tamed underworld animals, no visible enterance to the underworld, nothing but Tequil hanging out.  He didnt want to join me, but he did let me work for him.  sent me out to kill that hydra which was destined to eat him in about 199 years.

when i returned from the quest, he was nowhere to be found.  I checked the Q map and told it to direct me to the location of my quest -- and it behaved strangely.  switched from the recognizeable parchment worldmap to something else, filled with mountain icons and a 3x3 block of blue O's at the bottom left designating the target.  the @ sign was on there near the upper middle.  not sure what was going on with that, maybe Tequil had headed back to the underworld again.

hard to say.  maybe if I could get to the underworld, those things he tamed would have been freindly to me.  cant really guess.

By killing that hydra, you altered the great plan, creating a Time Paradox thagt made things go all screwy-like
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 09:40:19 pm »

YOU MUST VENTURE INTO THE DEPTHS AND FIND YOUR MASTER YOU FOOL! THERE IS AN ENTRANCE SOMEWHERE!
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 09:40:26 pm »

That sounds really badass.

A giant, freakish creature emerges and gains control of all sentient creatures on earth. He begins work on taming the darkness, but returns to the surface to find all life obliterated. He lives in his tower for two hundred more years, keeping their traditions and ways alive, until a hideous monster bests him.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 09:42:51 pm »

Would it be wrong to ask you to post the save? I dont doubt some of us want to find this entrance now...

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 10:05:31 pm »

He didnt want to join me, but he did let me work for him.  sent me out to kill that hydra which was destined to eat him in about 199 years.

Tequil: So badass that not even time can stop him.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 12:53:33 pm »

Would it be wrong to ask you to post the save? I dont doubt some of us want to find this entrance now...

how about i post the seed?

Code: [Select]
[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:Tequil]
[SEED:1208820512]
[HISTORY_SEED:1390470422]
[NAME_SEED:842519880]
[CREATURE_SEED:2293997216]
[DIM:17:17]
[EMBARK_POINTS:10000]
[END_YEAR:200]
[BEAST_END_YEAR:30:80]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:0]
[ELEVATION:1:400:52:52]
[RAINFALL:0:100:26:26]
[TEMPERATURE:25:75:26:26]
[DRAINAGE:0:100:26:26]
[VOLCANISM:0:100:26:26]
[SAVAGERY:0:100:26:26]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[TITAN_NUMBER:10]
[TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:0:100000]
[DEMON_NUMBER:20]
[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:1:0:0]
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:1:0:0]
[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:1]
[PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:1]
[COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[VOLCANO_MIN:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:0:0:0]
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250]
[RIVER_MINS:1:1]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
[SUBREGION_MAX:2750]
[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:5]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
[LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:1]
[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:1]
[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:5]
[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:20000]
[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
[ELEVATION_RANGES:36:72:36]
[RAIN_RANGES:0:0:0]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES:0:0:0]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES:0:0:0]
[VOLCANISM_RANGES:0:0:0]

really though, there seem to be tons of things like this in every world i've made.  i think there were others in this same pocket world if i were to go back further in history.  larger worlds have tons of them.  just check through your legends mode for things that escaped from the underworld and ruled civs.  usually they will be some random animal type suffixed with "demon" or "monster" or "brute" or somesuch like that.  I've never seen it happen with the forgotten beasts, though.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 12:56:49 pm by puke »

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 01:53:40 pm »

This version has been around for three days, and has given birth to two(+?) awesome creatures. This marmot, and the cave swallowman(Couldn't find the thread).

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 01:55:54 pm »

By killing that hydra, you altered the great plan, creating a Time Paradox thagt made things go all screwy-like
You see, by killing the hydra destined to eat Tequil 199 years in the future, you negated the need for you to regen the world in the first place for the purpose of seeing Tequil prior to the hydra eating him. Thus, you never actually killed the hydra, causing you to regen the world so that you could see Tequil prior to the hydra eating him.
Now, I know what you're thinking, total classic time paradox, right? Actually, you created a parallel universe containing only a copy of you with access to the same game, and that parallel you created an adventurer and got Tequil to join him in his adventures. This is the only logical explanation for the absence of Tequil in the town.