Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Yuck  (Read 1974 times)

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Yuck
« on: April 02, 2010, 07:04:47 pm »

My adventurer arrives in town just after sundown, fighting off buzzards.

She finds an empty bed to sleep in, and gets her head down.

In the morning she wakes up thirsty... but her water-skin is still full of ice (cold nights around these parts) so, off outside and over to the closest pond.

The water is kind of dirty, but good all the same.

She takes a deep drink then walks on to explore the town.  After a couple of steps she notices that there's something in the water.

Ew.

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yuck
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 07:07:52 pm »

The pool is in the shape of south america.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 01:24:56 am »

There's a dead person in the water.

Could it be the Town Mafia, sending their foes to sleep with the fishes?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 08:46:22 am »

I didn't stick around to find out... the town decided that she was a criminal so it was time to leave.

(as a matter of note, eating food that's lying around is now a crime!  I guess now there really is no such thing as a free lunch)

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 02:29:36 pm »

This is actually quite a mystery we've got on our hands. People don't usually die in towns without adventurer intervention. Is there a cave entrance near by? Or any other source of dangerous critters? EDIT: Actually, the best solution might be to go back to the town, find the name of the victim, then copy your region folder and look them up in legends mode.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 02:31:09 pm by tfaal »
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Kidsta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 02:50:20 pm »

Look him/her up in Legends. We must know the truth. There will be no justice otherwise.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 02:52:22 pm »

Probably the acid rain bug, and the body got teleported into the pool when you loaded the map.
I've seen an entire town of humies die to the acid rain, so it can happen.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 07:21:59 pm »

Well, hell.
Made a copy of the region to go back and investigate... made it back to the town safe and sound to find snow everywhere, and the pond frozen solid.  So I can't see the body well enough to get an ID!

Maybe I'll try starting a fire, see if that melts the water a bit.
I'll have to be careful though, the locals are decidedly hostile.  Luckily they don't seem to be well armed or armoured - and it's the middle of the night, so I've got some time to try and get my work done.

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 07:55:52 pm »

In 40d, ice was a natural atom smasher, so I don't think it'll work unless something was changed.

At least, in my experience, I fell into a river wrestling a grizzly bear.  Drowned the bear with my forearms, smashed a bunch of carp and sea lampreys with my hammer, swam past a bunch more, and I literally got TWO steps out of the water and onto a brook when everything died from being encased in ice.  I literally just barely avoided instant death by seconds, and I had modded speed (max agility).  Then five steps later, the ice is unfrozen.  I check the temperature, go back down to investigate, and all the corpses, fish, etc are gone.  Naturally atom smashed.

Good luck.  All else fails, legends mode!
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 08:08:21 pm »

Her name was Ibid.  She was a leatherworker.  She lived in this town all her life, moving home twice.  Her mother was a siege engineer and her father was a ranger who used to be a woodburner in another town, but came to the town and met her mother a year before Ibid was born.

She was a casual worshipper of all the local gods and creatures... and an ardent worshipper of Sudem the goddess of Murder and Justice (who has a string of temples in the area).

She was married with two daughters.  The eldest is town administrator, the youngest is a weaver and has children of her own.

Ibid's husband was a bowyer in the capital city, but married Ibid and then moved to live with her and start a new life as a farmer.

So far, so ordinary.  You wouldn't expect her to have enemies in the town.

Her death is recorded as "drowned in early spring".  An accident?
Or something more sinister?

EDIT: looks like ice is still an atom smasher... I ended up looking the town up to find out who she was, as the body had gone.  Or maybe, someone had removed it before the pond froze, and hidden it somewhere, hmm?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 08:18:21 pm by pickupsticks »

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 08:10:20 pm »

Her name was Ibid.  She was a leatherworker.  She lived in this town all her life, moving home three twice.  Her mother was a siege engineer and her father was a ranger who used to be a woodburner in another town, but came to the town and met her mother a year before Ibid was born.

She was a casual worshipper of all the local gods and creatures... and an ardent worshipper of Sudem the goddess of Murder and Justice (who has a string of temples in the area).

She was married with two daughters.  The eldest is town administrator, the youngest is a weaver and has children of her own.

Ibid's husband was a bowyer in the capital city, but married Ibid and then moved to live with her and start a new life as a farmer.

So far, so ordinary.  You wouldn't expect her to have enemies in the town.

Her death is recorded as "drowned in early spring".  An accident?
Or something more sinister?

Probably was standing on an unpredictable melting of ice.
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 08:13:16 pm »

Probably was standing on an unpredictable melting of ice.

Very possible - while I was fighting the town folk in the snowstorm I blinked, and all the snow vanished.  The pond melted, the sun came out... all in a fraction of a second.  Gave me quite a start, I can tell you.

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 05:42:36 am »

Maybe I should mention that the pond is just outside the door of the mead hall... perhaps she'd had a few too many?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 03:40:29 pm »

Sounds like an...

*sunglasses*

Ice day for a swim.

YEEAAAAAAAHHHH
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 01:01:16 am »

*Smokes Cigar*
*Audibly Blows Smoke*
It might be in you goombah's best intrest to lock this little thread you got here, if you know what I mean. Would be sad if so many good Bay Watchers had themslelves an unfortunate accident.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: [1] 2