Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: At Least She Has a Redeemable Personality... Right?  (Read 2020 times)

SoFoolyCoolly

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
At Least She Has a Redeemable Personality... Right?
« on: April 02, 2010, 04:21:20 pm »

My first dwarf fortress made under the latest version started with only one female dwarf... One female dwarf who's not easy on the eyes and seems to be a worse female companion to my male dwarves. I have a feeling this is not going to be an easy start.

Zulban Regesmul has been quite content lately.

She is eighty-three years old, born on the 24th of Sandstone in the year 967.

She is tall and fat. (Already off to a great start. I like me a lady with a big belly, she can be my Santa Clause.) Her broad nose is extremely long. She has a narrow, jutting, square chin. Her hair is clean-shaven. Her large-irised barass eyes are very wide-set. Her nose bridge is incredibly concave. She has a very deep voice. (Yes... Sir?) Her somewhat short ears are somewhat broad. She has high cheekbones. Her burnt skin is slightly wrinkled.

She is slow to tire, but she is slow to heal and quite clumsy. (She'll work herself to death or die trying, thankfully.)

Zulban Regesmul likes malachite, rose gold, bandfire opal, willow wood, clear glass, circles, gauntlets and cages. (Oh my, what will the neighbors think?) When possible, she prefers to consume dwarven wine. (Atleast she has refined taste.)

She has a great affinity for language, a great memory and a sum of patience, but she has a poor ability to manage or understand social relationship and very bad analytical abilities. (Redeemable qualities?)

She doesn't often experience strong cravings or urges. She makes friends quickly. She enjoys the company of others. She does not have a great aesthetic sensitivity. She does not go out of her way to help others. She needs alcohol to get through the working day (and I imagine she won't be the only one!) She likes working outdoors and grumbles only mildly at inclement weather, (Good, as a door guard her ugly mug could probably scare away even the most fierce of goblins!)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 04:25:17 pm by SoFoolyCoolly »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: At Least She Has a Redeamable Personality... Right?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 04:29:18 pm »

I would make a post to the extent of "Yowza!", stating that dwarven standards are different than human ones. However, I could not do it with my right mind.

Just U's for me please. Oh, wait, no that gimmick is done. Uhh...
Spoiler: ♥ (click to show/hide)
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: At Least She Has a Redeemable Personality... Right?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 04:31:09 pm »

*dies laughing*
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 04:33:04 pm »

How dare you! She'z a nice lady....
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 04:46:20 pm »

She is seventy-six years old...
Her somewhat broad nose is incredibly upturned. Her protruding close-set brass eyes are very round. Her somewhat broad free-lobed ears are very splayed out. Her greasy hair is curly. Her short hair is neatly combed. Her nose bridge is incredibly concave. She is average in size. She has a recessed chin. She has a clear voice. Her quite sparse high eyebrows are quite long. Her hair is ochre. Her skin is dark peach.

She has a very good sense of the position of her own body, but she has poor creativity, quite poor focus and little linguistic ability.

She is comfortable in social situations. She enjoys the company of others. She is very assertive. She is a risk-taker. She is often cheerful. She is slow to trust others. She doesn't like to compromise with others. She lacks confidence. She often does the first thing that comes to mind. When she is thinking, she clocks her tongue repeatedly. She needs alcohol to get through the working day.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 04:52:02 pm »

I can just tell right now this feature is gonna lead to some outstanding fanart
Thank you based dwarf.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 04:56:08 pm »

Time to start a Dwarven 'Hot or Not' thread! :P

EDIT: If by outstanding you mean absolutely terrifying. Then yes.

Naero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 05:04:21 pm »

Pretty much every Dwarf, Human and Elf I've met so far sound absolutely revolting. I think it's because the descriptions are too thorough and clinical.

'Concave and narrow nose bridge' sounds like the tagline for some kind of nasal-based circus-freak, despite that being a normal nose bridge.
Quote from: Toady One
# 03/17/2009: The broken-armed dwarf understood that he needed to run off to the hospital zone properly, but care never came, because I'm still working on that. Poor little buddy.
#  03/18/2009: He's now surrounded by many skilled medical professionals. They still aren't all that useful, but just their presence must be encouraging for him. Well, I guess that's not true either.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 06:07:23 pm »

I had visions of that ugly opera singer with the eye brows, you know the one.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 09:35:30 pm »

Pretty much every Dwarf, Human and Elf I've met so far sound absolutely revolting. I think it's because the descriptions are too thorough and clinical.

'Concave and narrow nose bridge' sounds like the tagline for some kind of nasal-based circus-freak, despite that being a normal nose bridge.

Alot of people appear ugly if you describe them like that but in reality they look okayish, its all in your imagination.
Thank you based dwarf.

Zruku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 09:54:20 pm »

I really enjoy new thoughts/feelings screen. It actually seems believable and true. My current woodcutter believes in stability and order instead of chaos, but he feels that rules are confining. So he's one who enjoys stability but not too many rules.

My docter is a person who is unassertive, overindulges, and often feels discouraged. But she is very patient likes helping others, modest, and thinks through before acting.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 11:03:39 pm »

I really enjoy new thoughts/feelings screen. It actually seems believable and true. My current woodcutter believes in stability and order instead of chaos, but he feels that rules are confining. So he's one who enjoys stability but not too many rules.

My docter is a person who is unassertive, overindulges, and often feels discouraged. But she is very patient likes helping others, modest, and thinks through before acting.

Those personality traits were already there, actually.

What's new are: Well, basically everything except for those, material/food/animal preferences (and vermin dislikes), and the recent thoughts. The wounds listing, physical descriptions, and attribute listings are all new, as is the content being displayed (many, many new attributes, and dwarves now vary in physical form significantly).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 12:17:32 am »

I always thought to new physical descriptions were a little weird. Maybe it would make more sense if it were set up to mention a broader 'impression' ("Urist has stern, chiseled features"; "Urist is a little plump") and only mention specific features where they were particularly un-average.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 12:46:01 am »

I'm actually able to visualize the descriptions pretty well, and find it helpful in imagining the characters. The only problem is that there aren't any descriptions for body type, so I'm usually stuck with the stocky dwarf standard, I suppose.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 01:24:11 am »

There are body type descriptions when they differ from average. You can have broad, thin, tall, short dwarves, and such, and if they have a high/low amount of fat or muscle, it'll tell you that too.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: [1] 2