Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Angry Mac Owner Thread  (Read 2951 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
The Angry Mac Owner Thread
« on: April 02, 2010, 04:18:01 pm »

So, Oh wise and mighty Toady One (armok be with him) when's the mac one out for? I'm super pleased that I get to wait for the mac version to come out, long after everyone else has been going on about the new version. Just thrilled.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
Re: The Angry Mac Owner Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 04:36:18 pm »

There is a MACOX program that converts it into playing Windows program. Idk where it is, but I seen it.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Sean_W

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 05:24:39 pm »

So, Oh wise and mighty Toady One (armok be with him) when's the mac one out for? I'm super pleased that I get to wait for the mac version to come out, long after everyone else has been going on about the new version. Just thrilled.
I'm getting about 35 FPS using wine on my mac. I dont see your problem. reveal left some blank spots but besides that its working fine. I just wish partial print would work. Debating putting my dwarfes on speed 2 or higher to make up for the low fps.

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 05:33:40 pm »

Mmhm.  Wine has been confirmed to work for most people.

Regarding an actual OS X version... it will likely take some time.

For one, it's a buggy release uploaded in what appears to be some rather frantic haste.  It's not exactly amazing, but our reports certainly will help the major issues get addressed, possibly with these issues being fixed when other platforms get releases.  You'll have to ask Toady about that.  I'm pretty sure he mentioned something in the devlog though, but regardless I'm sure he's working on it.  If you can't get Wine to work, then be patient.  Windows gets the first release because I'm pretty sure Toady uses Windows, so it's pretty simple to just pack up and ship his last build.

Think of it this way: Mac is more likely to get a less buggy release when it finally does arrive mac-compatible.

EDIT:

The current situation is that I expect a (buggy!) Windows release in about a week, with the 40d# merge commencing at that time (or within a few days of the release). This is a bit of a change of plan, since I was originally going to release for all operating systems at once, but I feel like I'm going to get even more bogged down if I don't do it this way and the initial pre-merge release will give us a control to work with in the same way that 40d can be compared to 40d#. The initial merge release shouldn't take too long though, and it will be the top priority aside from the worst catastrophic crashes and things of that nature. I know the merge changes make the game playable for many of you when it otherwise isn't.

I guess I didn't quite read it right.  It was a bit more or less vague on the subject of other platforms.  Anyway, don't worry.  It'll likely arrive soon, and it gives you time to work on Wine which'll be helpful for more than just Dwarf Fortress if you can get it working.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 05:41:16 pm by Box »
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 05:35:24 pm »

You're angry that ONE DAY after the initial release, the development team of ONE MAN WORKING FOR FREE has not yet released Mac version, despite the stated intent to do so?

I've been sitting on a Starcraft II beta key for well over a month now and there's no mac beta client yet. And they have an ENTIRE TEAM being PAID working on this game.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 05:42:22 pm »

The game is running at around 42 FPS, give or take, on Wine. There are occasional dips, but its fairly good for the most part.
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 05:42:37 pm »

So you use an OS which the developer does not, and the general population does not, and your marginal demographic is marginalized. I fail to see the problem. Do what Linux users (and at least some other Mac users) do - make it work instead of complaining about it.

Krumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 05:44:17 pm »

Every second of not being able to play this is agony, but in a way I'm glad it's not come out. When it was near release I though:
"Maybe I wont get it the moment it comes out so there's time for the wiki to fill up so I can get instant help should I need it. Ah who am I kidding, I'm downloading it as soon as I can!"

So although I yearn for this new build, it's not a total loss at least. Also hopefully the Mac release will have a few of many bugs everyones going on about fixed.
Only in Dwarf Fortress could you get 4 armed heads scuttling about on cavern roofs.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 05:49:16 pm »

Every second of not being able to play this is agony, but in a way I'm glad it's not come out. When it was near release I though:
"Maybe I wont get it the moment it comes out so there's time for the wiki to fill up so I can get instant help should I need it. Ah who am I kidding, I'm downloading it as soon as I can!"

So although I yearn for this new build, it's not a total loss at least. Also hopefully the Mac release will have a few of many bugs everyones going on about fixed.

I downloaded it instantly and diddled around for a bit, but I haven't actively played for more than maybe an hour. I like long-term forts and aside from a bit of investigation into burrows, the rather impenetrable military screens, and the new burrow system (which has a mouse painter and eraser :D:D:D) I don't have any real use for an unstable release. I can wait just fine.

Krumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 05:52:58 pm »

The first thing I think I'll do is just mine as far as I can till I hit a large cavern then turn 5 of my starting 7 into wrestlers and get them to explore until they are inevitably struck down by some tusked monstrosity.
Only in Dwarf Fortress could you get 4 armed heads scuttling about on cavern roofs.

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 06:19:45 pm »

The first thing I think I'll do is just mine as far as I can till I hit a large cavern then turn 5 of my starting 7 into wrestlers and get them to explore until they are inevitably struck down by some tusked monstrosity.

After generating a world I exported the docs related to it.  Stopped at year 100, a little custom stats relating to sharper cliff faces, but this is what you have to look forward to:

Keep in mind that is worldwide, but you can expect to get a proportionate portion of each of those in a decent sized embark area, slightly skewed depending on your biome.

EDIT: Removed the "unnumbered" spoilers.  Unnumbered means they can't be counted for whatever reason.  Find out why yourself.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:34:22 pm by Box »

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 06:33:04 pm »

I believe Rowanas has a PPC, and so cannot use Wine.

While I can understand Rowanas' impatience, I'm sure Toady will get a version out as soon as he can.  Quite frankly, I doubt that the early release of the Windows version pushed the Mac version back significantly, if at all.

In any case, I actually have only run into one bug thus far.  I don't see why people keep saying this release is 'buggy' - none of the bugs reported so far seem all that major, to be honest.

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 06:39:18 pm »

In any case, I actually have only run into one bug thus far.  I don't see why people keep saying this release is 'buggy' - none of the bugs reported so far seem all that major, to be honest.

Pathfinding, job incompetence, and crashes are the major ones.

The big problem itself is not singular major problems, but stacks of minor problems.  For example, dwarves requiring body parts (I don't think anyone's completed one yet, but I would like to see a high boot menacing with spikes of left goblin foot) and typos/parse errors (stone bars - impossible to make, actually mean metal bars) that confuse people.

Also the boiling hot face-melting rain is somewhat of a hurdle for some.  There are ways around that, too.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 06:54:14 pm »

PPC can't run Wine?
Damn.
Now I am angry, but more at this crappy old mac than the lack of a mac release.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 06:59:32 pm »

I suspect we'll all be better off playing wesnoth (which also just released a new version) for a couple weeks and la la la ignoring the forums.  Then, we can hit up the app store and downloaded it to our iPads.
Pages: [1] 2