Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: When's the next fix release?  (Read 2546 times)

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When's the next fix release?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 07:45:00 pm »

A one-man hobby project gets it's first update for a year and a half and one day on you're already expecting bug fixes? Considering it's easter weekend and the release was at 4am by his timezone, I think Toady deserves a break...

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 07:56:08 pm »

This thread is getting kind of negative. It would be nice if everyone could get along.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mrdvant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 07:59:07 pm »

It's not negative, it's confrontational. Contrary to what we're taught in most countries, that's not a bad thing in and of itself. As for Toady deserving a break, sure. I never said he didn't. Please read completely before posting a response. I just asked if anybody might have heard anything. The answer is still no, and doesn't require any further response.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 08:14:18 pm »

Question retracted due to me becoming tired of people flexing their epeens and thinking they're somebody because some family member once told them they were.
Be nice if you guys would stop telling me to play the old release. I'm just listing issues, so deal with it.
Also, quit being passive-aggressive and putting smileys after your thinly veiled blow offs thinking that makes it ok. If you want to say something, be a man and own it. Don't contribute to the pussification of our society.
...or you could just complain more.  Oh wait, am I being passive aggressive? So sorry.  ::)

No, sorry, it's negative. Especially the first and third quotes. There's a few other posts that are generally negative in tone as well but not worth quoting. Toady is fine with people disagreeing and having radically different opinions, but when you get to "people thinking they're somebody because a family member once told them they were" a line has been crossed.

To directly answer your original question, unfortunately we never hear much about when a release will come out; usually they just jump out and surprise us out of nowhere. Toady is planning on working on bugfixes nonstop until the release is stable, but we won't know in advance when exactly these will be released until they're spontaneously posted, sorry.

mrdvant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 08:22:58 pm »

Question retracted due to me becoming tired of people flexing their epeens and thinking they're somebody because some family member once told them they were.
Be nice if you guys would stop telling me to play the old release. I'm just listing issues, so deal with it.
Also, quit being passive-aggressive and putting smileys after your thinly veiled blow offs thinking that makes it ok. If you want to say something, be a man and own it. Don't contribute to the pussification of our society.
...or you could just complain more.  Oh wait, am I being passive aggressive? So sorry.  ::)

No, sorry, it's negative. Especially the first and third quotes. There's a few other posts that are generally negative in tone as well but not worth quoting. Toady is fine with people disagreeing and having radically different opinions, but when you get to "people thinking they're somebody because a family member once told them they were" a line has been crossed.

To directly answer your original question, unfortunately we never hear much about when a release will come out; usually they just jump out and surprise us out of nowhere. Toady is planning on working on bugfixes nonstop until the release is stable, but we won't know in advance when exactly these will be released until they're spontaneously posted, sorry.

The direct answer is appreciated, and all I was looking for. Thank you.
However, your designation of my comments as negative is opinion only. I'm sorry that you find people being jerks and trying to hide it behind smileys is perfectly acceptable while my defending myself is not.

SeanTucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 08:32:18 pm »

Well, it would be nice if he could fix/explain the acid rain and fix the irrigation bug and just release that. Those are the only two bugs that are really game-breaking from what I can tell, everything else is just dwarven physics or dwarven idiocy.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 08:42:10 pm »

Well, it would be nice if he could fix/explain the acid rain and fix the irrigation bug and just release that. Those are the only two bugs that are really game-breaking from what I can tell, everything else is just dwarven physics or dwarven idiocy.

There are quite a lot of bugs still to be fixed up. I'm sure if either of those two specific bugs were a quick two-minute fix or a simple raw patch Toady would have fixed them or told us about the patch earlier; as it is it's much simpler from a developer's point of view to do a week's worth of fixes and release that and keep going rather than do a new release for each individual of handful of fixes he does. I believe his first priority is going to be crash-bugs, so it may be a bit before the really-annoying-but-not-game-ending bugs get worked on.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 09:23:26 pm »

Yeah, we don't even know what causes those bugs or why they happen, so you have to just wait it out until Toady gets a handle on it.

I can't replicate the rain/seawater melting dwarves/other creatures bug, but i know it happens because I've heard it so many times.

Last major release, there was a bug that sleeping dwarves never woke up. It was fixed the next day after Toady slept. Things may be buggy but it's certainly not as bad as that. Just realize that really bad bugs will be fixed soon and be patient.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 09:25:33 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 09:37:05 pm »

The direct answer is appreciated, and all I was looking for. Thank you.
However, your designation of my comments as negative is opinion only. I'm sorry that you find people being jerks and trying to hide it behind smileys is perfectly acceptable while my defending myself is not.

I have a theory that you're simply using this view of the commenters to cover up the pointlessness of posting a thread with a question that no one can really answer. ;) I wish they'd all stop repeating what someone else has said, but you need to stop psychoanalyzing them first. 8) Don't try to tell someone what they're doing when you really can't have any idea. :P As you've seen, all this accomplishes is making people pissed, and making you look rather mean. :-*

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 09:42:37 pm »

Hi!

Personally, I think that such threads are very dangerous because you may end up frustrating the programmer and at the very least actually delay the next release.

Fortunately for you, Toady One made a post in the blog on his homepage (I strongly recommend checking that regularly to see how things are going) commenting on his future plans. He has a lot of sorting out to do before he can even turn towards fixing the crash bugs, so the next release is probably quite a while away. So, I suppose we should end this discussion for the time being.

Deathworks

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 12:05:42 am »

But I like the Acid Rain and Irrigation features.

Seriously, the Irrigation thing should be a feature.  But also allow you to start with Barrels of Water that can be emptied so you can irrigate your first farm plot if your embarking to a desert.

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2010, 01:48:32 am »

Do to the fact that the question is "retracted" I'm locking this thread.
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!
Pages: 1 [2]