Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: When's the next fix release?  (Read 2551 times)

mrdvant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When's the next fix release?
« on: April 02, 2010, 03:57:33 pm »

EDIT:Question retracted due to me becoming tired of people flexing their epeens and thinking they're somebody because some family member once told them they were.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:29:21 pm by mrdvant »

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When's the next fix release?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 04:02:44 pm »

Simple fix would appear to be to play the previous version if it worked so much better for you.   ;D

mrdvant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 04:08:48 pm »

Sure would, doesn't change the fact I've been looking forward to this release for so long.

mrdvant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 04:14:03 pm »

...wtf? This one time, it defaulted to having orders set to ignore furniture, wood and minerals. This is my 3rd fortress in the new version and neither of the other two did that.

Burneddi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 04:27:01 pm »

The current situation is that I expect a (buggy!) Windows release in about a week

Besides, it's in beta stage for just that reason: to find the bugs. If you don't like bugs, play 40d until a fix comes out :-).

PS: Speaking of bugs, the pathfinding is extremely buggy right now - seems like there is some sort of path "caching" that bugs - for example, if a dwarf is stuck on a level because there's a wall blocking his only exit, and you remove the wall, the creatures' pathfinding still acts if the wall was still there - this will be fixed when you save the game and then reload.

mrdvant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 04:40:29 pm »

Be nice if you guys would stop telling me to play the old release. I'm just listing issues, so deal with it.

Also, would be nice if the migrants would at least show up with the labor setting for their named jobs enabled.

*EDIT: Also, quit being passive-aggressive and putting smileys after your thinly veiled blow offs thinking that makes it ok. If you want to say something, be a man and own it. Don't contribute to the pussification of our society.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 04:43:27 pm by mrdvant »

mrdvant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 04:46:06 pm »

So what's up with dwarfs standing on open space above rivers to mine and stuff?

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 04:46:17 pm »

If you want to list the issues, there's lots and lots of threads in the Bugs forum where you can be more assured that the issues you list will be seen, noted, and hopefully fixed sooner for it.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

sbr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 04:48:14 pm »

The current situation is that I expect a (buggy!) Windows release in about a week

Besides, it's in beta stage for just that reason: to find the bugs. If you don't like bugs, play 40d until a fix comes out :-).

PS: Speaking of bugs, the pathfinding is extremely buggy right now - seems like there is some sort of path "caching" that bugs - for example, if a dwarf is stuck on a level because there's a wall blocking his only exit, and you remove the wall, the creatures' pathfinding still acts if the wall was still there - this will be fixed when you save the game and then reload.

It isn't even Beta it is still Alpha.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 04:51:39 pm »

Like this game will ever be out of alpha.

This thread is a perfect example of why Toady needs to release updates more frequently than, say, once ever 18  months or however  it long when 40d first came out.

Jesus christ the game is so annoying right now. Combat sucks, pathing bugs, stockpile bugs, everything. He could spend the next 6 months doing nothing but fixing the bugs he would have known about a long time ago if he had released more frequently. Did he really need to revolutionize every other aspect  of the game SIMULTANEOUSLY? Some of this is just horrible project management, which should be the easy part of a SOLO PROJECT.

sbr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 04:57:03 pm »

I know Toady said at one point that he wanted to limit the number of times he broke save-game-compatibility, which is why so many things piled onto this release.  He didn't want people to have to start a brand new fort every 2 months with a new addition that wasn't compatible.  Hopefully now we can have a long string of minor tweaks and adds and not go through all of that again.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 04:58:05 pm »

This thread is a perfect example of why Toady needs to release updates more frequently than, say, once ever 18  months or however  it long when 40d first came out.

Jesus christ the game is so annoying right now. Combat sucks, pathing bugs, stockpile bugs, everything. He could spend the next 6 months doing nothing but fixing the bugs he would have known about a long time ago if he had released more frequently. Did he really need to revolutionize every other aspect  of the game SIMULTANEOUSLY? Some of this is just horrible project management, which should be the easy part of a SOLO PROJECT.

He took so long because the series of changes he planned would break save compatability each time. Basically, each release would break compatiblity. He wanted to make it easier on everyone. And he specifically said that this would be a very buggy release.

EDIT: Ninja'd
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 07:22:12 pm »

Be nice if you guys would stop telling me to play the old release. I'm just listing issues, so deal with it.
Be even nicer if you'd realize there is no way to answer your original question both truthfully AND in a way that will make you happy.

But hey, I'm willing to lie and tell you that there will be a fix release next week that will fix all your issues.

The next fix release will occur when Toady has accumulated enough fixes to justify another release.  Unless somebody around here has a crystal ball, how can anybody know for sure exactly when that will be?

If you've ever been responsible for fixing something, you'd know that you can't say for sure when you'll be done. Even if it looks like the same fix you've done 100 times before, you can't predict any number of things that could make it take longer this time around.

What you could do to get an idea of when a point release is to be reasonably expected is research the timetable for the last major release and subsequent releases.

...or you could just complain more.  Oh wait, am I being passive aggressive? So sorry.  ::)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:23:50 pm by random51 »

mrdvant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 07:25:14 pm »

The next fix release will occur when Toady has accumulated enough fixes to justify another release.  Unless somebody around here has a crystal ball, how can anybody know for sure exactly when that will be?

If you've ever been responsible for fixing something, you'd know that you can't say for sure when you'll be done. Even if it looks like the same fix you've done 100 times before, you can't predict any number of things that could make it take longer this time around.

What you could do to get an idea of when a point release is to be reasonably expected you could research the timetable for the last major release and subsequent releases.

A simple "I don't know." would suffice. You just said a whole lot of nothing. I don't read forums as much as some people, so for all I know he may have made a comment about a scheduled fix or given a rough timeline. I asked, in case anybody had any knowledge of such a thing. Seeing as how you didn't, it wasn't even necessary for you to respond.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 07:31:29 pm »

Speak for yourself. Most of us are having a blast even in it's buggy state.
Pages: [1] 2