Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: F-ing Military  (Read 5786 times)

Maninblack144

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: F-ing Military
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2010, 11:29:56 am »

Creating a little stockpile of food in the Barracks might work to prevent your training dwarves from starving/dehydrating. It seems to work for me. After one got thirsty he took a drinking break inbetween 2 sessions. This also seems to enable you to set the minimum for the training order pretty high so they all train at once.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2010, 01:49:54 pm »

What about hunters?
How can i compel my dwarf to hunt down some annoying animals?
Finis sanctificat media.

Undefined

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2010, 02:09:17 pm »

I had this same issue, I fiddled a bit with assigning ammo to hunters via the military screen.. And he promptly filled his quiver with 15 stacks of bolts and set off to chase after rabbits carrying them all VERY SLOWLY.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2010, 02:14:33 pm »

Fuck that ammo, i want my hunter to strangle these macaques with his hands!

Military now is FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUucking overcomplicated.
I want old version as option!
Finis sanctificat media.

st0rmforce

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2010, 02:17:42 pm »

I think this is also made difficult by the pathing bug.
When your dwarfs have no idea where the barracks is, where the weapons are or if there is anything beyond the square that they are stood on, it can be hard to work out if nobody's grabbing weapons because I've got something wrong or if the dwarfs are just lost.

When toady sorts that out it should be easier to try other things
A worshipper of Tarn, the toad-headed god of software entropy.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2010, 02:23:44 pm »

What barracks, i've just embarked.
No barracks, nothing at all, just food, anvil and pick.

FFFFFuuuuuuuu, almost beaten the keyboard with my head before the enlightening comes to my mind.
Now i understand how to hunt. Just draw a doctor into military and set him defend the burrow.
Hunters are losers, soldiers are rulez!  ;D
Finis sanctificat media.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2010, 02:30:27 pm »

Point-and-click killing of a target is easy, and probably the only thing that the new military is good at at the moment.  Hit "s" to open the squad management menu, then "a" (I think) to select a squad, then "k" for a kill order, then enter on the target.  Everyone in the squad will spontaneously activate, grab their gear, and run off to single-mindedly slaughter the target or die in the attempt.  This has always worked for me, even though getting my soldiers to activate on their own for training purposes has been completely frigging impossible.

I use this for hunting. Trains up dwarf speed nicely.

I'm getting used to the new military screen. Its very powerful but very complicated. That's DF, however.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2010, 02:16:55 am »

Point-and-click killing of a target is easy, and probably the only thing that the new military is good at at the moment.  Hit "s" to open the squad management menu, then "a" (I think) to select a squad, then "k" for a kill order, then enter on the target.  Everyone in the squad will spontaneously activate, grab their gear, and run off to single-mindedly slaughter the target or die in the attempt.  This has always worked for me, even though getting my soldiers to activate on their own for training purposes has been completely frigging impossible.
I use this for hunting. Trains up dwarf speed nicely.
Wow. Wonderful. Thanks.

I'm getting used to the new military screen. Its very powerful but very complicated. That's DF, however.
Yeah, DF. I hope, it will have a voice command input some time. ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.

hamsterfury

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2010, 03:05:05 am »

Ok, been struggling with this for a while. The BEST information in the wiki is to set two overlapping barracks and assign the squad to each one. This got my dwarves to be active again, yay!

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2010, 03:47:39 am »

I was completely unable to figure out the military screens on my own, but once I read through the wiki pages (even in the modest state they're in now) I understood the basics, and now I can see that this is an incredibly useful and powerful system. When I get past my initial "learning" forts and do a proper one that won't fall to the first goblin ambush squad that arrives when there aren't merchants to defend me I'm going to have seasonal squads automatically rotating through defensive patrols and guard posts, training, and civilian downtime. It'll be awesome, I always wanted something like this.

I don't think I'll be making extensive use of the uniforms system right away, but it'll be very nice to be able to explicitly say "this artifact armor goes with that hammerdwarf, not with the crossbow guy who's never going to meet an enemy face-to-face anyway".

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2010, 09:49:05 am »

Gah, I had point-&-click kill working for ages, then it just sort of stopped working. Let alone which, my medical dwarves are completely ignoring the hospital and injured dwarves, even though I've given them all of the healthcare jobs.
I don't mind losing, but when a well established fort with some legendary soldiers begins to fall to five cave swallowmen because a couple of crucial game systems have failed, well, it gets on my nerves a tad.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2010, 11:24:24 am »

Did anyone figure how to make them switch training weapons to actual ones upon need?
I just had poisonous forgotten beast in the fortress chewing 3 soliders out of 10, cause they all were armed with ☰chestnut training axe☰'s. Luckily swordsman got steel axe somewhere and hacked away some of its limbs and then hacked its torso.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2010, 11:35:27 am »

I think you have to set different equipment loadout per alert level; so for your Inactive/Training, you'd equip them with practise weapons and armour, but for your first alert level, you'd give the proper stuff. Then you'd just change the squad's status using "t" on the "s"quad menu.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2010, 03:44:12 pm »

FFS, just when I think I have it all working, my main squad stop responding to kill orders when nothing has changed between now and the last time I issued one. They don't respond to move orders either, just standing there in the barracks doing sweet FA while an Ocean Titan rampages through my fortress.
It would be a good system if it behaved somewhat predictably  >:(

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2010, 03:45:47 pm »

They don't respond to move orders either, just standing there in the barracks doing sweet FA while an Ocean Titan rampages through my fortress.
I've had this problem. Solved by turning off training in the barracks and then removing barracks completely.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4