Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: F-ing Military  (Read 5788 times)

Kelbin

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:terrifyingly blocky features]
    • View Profile
Re: F-ing Military
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 01:50:25 am »

I had my 3 military dwarves attack a 2 snailmen with just training swords.

They all got legendary fighting very fast.

And a snailman still isn't dead.

Poor things. why must they suffer?  :'(

Edit: DAMN THING HURT MY BITCH female DAWG I"M GOING TO MAKE IT SUFFER!!! more

Also why the hell do only one dwarf fight it at a time? I'm not joking here.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 02:06:23 am by Kelbin »
Coalition soldier cancels attack dummy brain: interrupted by Rocklet. x6
Rocklet has scuttled!
Crab has been crushed! x106
Coalition soldier has been crushed! x6
Crab has been crushed! x43

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 02:21:43 am »

They will take a LONG time to kill it with training swords.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 02:58:09 am »

I think he will eventually die of fatigue. ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 03:28:49 am »

I think he will eventually die of fatigue. ;-)
I think the military dwarves will die of dehydration.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 03:35:57 am »

I think all of my dwarves died because I couldn't figure out how to make them fight a troll, so they all got killed individually. After I spent half an hour trying to figure out that damn new military system.  ???  >:(

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 04:24:16 am »

I had my squad of 4 looking like they were doing "Individual Combat Training", and I had point-and-click killing quite nicely, but it's ridiculously cumbersome compared to the old system.
Then I broke into HFS and it didn't matter any more.

Undefined

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 05:10:22 am »

Just encountered this frustration too, I set up my first barracks, assigned a commander, assigned 3 random dorfs and waited.. Then realized I had to active them to make them train. Which I did, then waited again.. Then figured maybe they're trying to do archery since they all have crossbows, so built 2 targets and set them to training.. Suddenly they activated, picked up equipment, made their way over and finally stood and waited for training for 10 minutes.. While my commander stood there holding 3 crossbows in his right hand and a warhammer and 2 shields in his left apparently organizing it.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 05:27:46 am »

Also why the hell do only one dwarf fight it at a time? I'm not joking here.
I've had same issue here. On some occasions, only one out of squad would engage, and rest just stand around looking.
I hope this is just a bug, not a some kind of bizarre feature.

Garthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 05:53:37 am »

I've noticed that just about nothing will stop a couple dwarves who have started sparring.  If one leaves to eat or drink or sleep, the other patiently waits for them to get back.  If one loses an ear... hey, no sweat!  An arm?  Only a flesh wound!

They finally stopped sparring when the axe got lodged in the one-armed guy's cheek and he got dragged to the hospital.  The missing arm and ear apparently didn't bother the doctor at all, though, but a cut cheek?  Locked up there for MONTHS.

ThePup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 05:54:04 am »

well nevermind... goblins showed up. I gave the 10 dwarf squad a kill order and half of them immediately went civilian and took a nap, the other half ran around the fort. Only one guy actually went to kill the goblin and he died fast alone.

Done with this until the military can actually be used at least as effectively as the old system.
From my limited experience, that IS as effective as the old system!   ;D

Tarengrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 06:22:23 am »

well the new militia system is still a bit buggy. but the wildlife and enemies tend to die very slowly. I had my 10 dwarfs, all equipped with admantine short-swords, and clad in adamantium Armor, they were like tiny wolverins and I sent them, all 10 against 2 raccoons.

An epic battle occurred where my dwarfs battled the evil beasts bravely for 3 months without food, water or sleep. They were rampaging all over the area, splattering the soil with blood, but the raccoons did not die. they were wounded, had broken teeth, paws, dent bodies, unconscious, but they were still there and my soldiers were standing around the fainted beasts hacking at them in vain as it could not die at all. And no, it was not an undead, it was a normal raccoon....
On the bright side, only two of my soldiers died. One dodged the attack, which his armor would have absorbed mind you, and dodged into a hole, that lead several z levels down into a nice pond of Lava where he slowly melted away.
The other one fainted due to exhaustion of stabbing an unconscious raccoon for months and dropped prone in the shallow river, leading him to drown slowly.

So far: Squad: 0, Racoons: 2. And they are still fighting... Guess I will have to kill them with traps in the future

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2010, 07:49:02 am »

Strange that combat is so slow for you. I tried elephant vs dwarf in Arena (trying to see if he could hold his own with GM dodger, GM fighter and leather armor).

Combat log: elephant charges, kicks dwarf in the head, skulls goes splat into the brain, dward dies.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Will Alvein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2010, 09:41:50 am »

I think I might as well use this thread to report my experience with the lovely military so far...
First of all, I'd like to point out that I do like the new features regarding it, they are much more advanced and useful than how the military previously worked, the main problem, though, is that the new features seldom seem to work properly... then again I guess that's expected.

My experience with the military so far include issues such as dwarves not training when I set them to the active/training alert, which seems to be a pretty common problem, from what I've read so far. The times I get it to work properly, sort of, they randomly get enrolled from time to time, which gave unhappy thoughts to some dwarves, but they also got so excited training and waiting or organizing demonstrations that they forgot to eat at all, to the point of starving and dying. Interestingly enough, when they try to organize demonstrations they seem to get stuck on it most of the times, I've observed them a few times 'watching' these demonstrations, but most of the time they just wait and do nothing, effectively not training any skill at all.
Interestingly enough, as I think was mentioned in this thread, the most effective way of getting dwarves to train (other than apparently beating things with training weapons until they get tired to death), is to just let the 'inactive' alert set to any squad, and assign them to train in any barracks, which will make them stay non-enrolled and to perform individual combat drills, thus raising their skills quite fast. I'd also like to note that dwarves don't seem to stop these individual combat drills unless they are sent to patrol, or kill something, or the barrack they are assigned to gets disarmed.

I've also had a few fights, though nothing too interesting to report, I easily killed elephants with two axedwarves, killed a few underground creatures without much trouble, though once I found a few
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I also wonder what kind of logic dwarves use when deciding which weapon to use, I had a dwarf with both a copper and a training axe equiped, and he decided to attack an elephant with the training axe only, though I guess that's more of a mistake on my part...

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2010, 10:30:13 am »

dwarves not training when I set them to the active/training alert, which seems to be a pretty common problem, from what I've read so far. The times I get it to work properly, sort of, they randomly get enrolled from time to time, which gave unhappy thoughts to some dwarves, but they also got so excited training and waiting or organizing demonstrations that they forgot to eat at all, to the point of starving and dying.
On the first issue, i found it useful to have overlapping baracks, and switch 'train' from one barrack to another if they get stuck.
On second, in [m] - [ s] on each order there is 'minimum required', which defaults to 10 (whole squad). To let some squad members do something other than fulfilling order (eat, for example), you should set it lower than amount of soldiers in the squad. Then they will rotate slacking positions when needed.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2010, 10:56:21 am »

I have to agree. Military interface is quite confused and not trivial to figure out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4