Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: F-ing Military  (Read 5789 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
F-ing Military
« on: April 02, 2010, 03:55:29 pm »

The military screen is hatefully counter intuitive. Pointand-click kill of the Sasquatch that wandered in would be nice, but I don't know how to do it. I've read the wiki, but I don't understand that either. So FRUSTRATED
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: F-ing Military
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 03:58:19 pm »

Alright, so, I check the schedule, and everything is set to Train. I cancel the order (x), and hit (o) for a new one. In the screen, I press (o) until I arrive at station, which I'm asuming what I want. I then select all the members of the screen until they are green. Then I hit shift-enter to be done. And nothing changes. Everything is still set to train.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 04:02:38 pm »

And, yes, I have set the Squad to be active/train, not inactive. I don't want them to keep doing their civilian jobs= I don't want them to be civlian anymore at all. Last version, this was so simple, select and click. BAM, no longer a civilian. Now the Sasquatch is smashing up the place while everyone is busy storing item. WTF?

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 04:06:41 pm »

Did you create a point to select for the station? You can designate one by using (N) on the main screen, and name it and stuff, and it should show up when you try to change the orders to station.

And yeah, I agree with you - the military setup is horribly intuitive, even for dwarf fortress... I had to set my military (s) t:Sched - Inactive to get them to train, which had me confused for bloody ages.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 04:11:47 pm »

Ah, the final problem was that I didn't set them to active within the send-out screen itself. Didn't matter, Sasquatch broke them all anyways. I'm on my third reclaim. Christ this is frustrating.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 04:39:17 pm »

1) Do you have a barracks? I found it hard to make my millitia *de*activate once I'd assigned them a barracks.

2) Once they are in a squad, point and click kill is as easy as opening the squads menu, selecting the squad you want, pressing k and then selecting the enemy.

3) On the topic of orders: 'Defend burrow' will make them act automaticly once an enemy enters the burrow area. Less useful for the one sasquatch but good for general defence.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 05:12:42 pm »

My main problem with the military is the training speed. Has anyone here managed to actually get ANYONE past the "individual practice" stage of training and onto sparring and such. If so, how?
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 10:54:09 pm »

It works with archers designated to train at an archery range instantly for me - they'll share knowledge from the get go. They'll also become soldiers, rather than civvies training in combat, which is what all my other guys are doing. I think it may be something to do with the object you choose to start the barracks from, or else I'm guessing that melee only soldiers or the first squad created are bugged.

Edit; Yeah, it seems to me that it's to do with the object you designate the barracks from. An archery target will let all dwarves spar and organise demonstrations if they are allowed to train from it, while I can only get them to practice individually from a weapon rack.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:19:42 pm by TotalPigeon »

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 11:48:44 pm »

I used a chest for mine, and they do both individual and organised... but I can't get them to stay as soldiers. I really hate the fact that they can go back to being civilians. Odd, I know, but it irritates me to no end.

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 11:57:36 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Military should be helpful :)

EDIT: oh, you've read the wiki already. Well, I can't explain it any better.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Military/Guide might be more like what you're looking for
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:59:44 pm by Chicken Launcher »
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

Wyvern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 12:02:54 am »

Point-and-click killing of a target is easy, and probably the only thing that the new military is good at at the moment.  Hit "s" to open the squad management menu, then "a" (I think) to select a squad, then "k" for a kill order, then enter on the target.  Everyone in the squad will spontaneously activate, grab their gear, and run off to single-mindedly slaughter the target or die in the attempt.  This has always worked for me, even though getting my soldiers to activate on their own for training purposes has been completely frigging impossible.

They'll stay in kill-mode after all their targets are dead, though, so you have to go back to the squad menu and use "o" to cancel order.  At which point the soldiers will revert to civilians rather than go train like you probably want them to, but at least the Sasquatch is dead.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 12:22:03 am »

Can someone tell me what I've done wrong here?

I have a squad designated, led by the militia commander. It has two recruits in it as well. I have this squad set to active/training alert and their schedule is to train all year with a minimum of 2 dwarves. I have the uniform set to "Sword Training" which is no equipment except for a wooden practice sword. I have three such practice swords available.

I have a barracks designated from an armor stand, it is set for sleeping, squad equipment, individual equipment, and training. It contains 3 beds and 3 armor/weapon stands and a lot of open room.

The three dwarves will go to the barracks. The commander's job is "Organize combat training" and the two recruits are "Wait for combat training" then they sit there until someone gets hungry or thirsty, at which point he runs off to get food or drink.

Why won't they actually train?

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 12:46:37 am »

Try building an archery target in there and designating from that... I've only managed to have successful group training sessions from a barracks designated from one of those (though it sounds like Cespinarve has had some luck from a chest (coffer?), which might be easier).

Also, Cespinarve, if you set a custom profession name for each of your military dwarves, it won't announce them changing to or from civilian status. They do still change back, but without the announcement it's not in your face every time they come or go to/from the damned barracks.

Yeah, those wiki articles are a good start for the new military stuff, but it's both an incomplete resource and the game is incredibly buggy, so there are still a bunch of weird quirks about the military training which it doesn't explain and which are immensely frustrating to experience...

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 01:13:03 am »

My militiadwarves act weird. Both squads are set to train, but one of them only does individual combat drills (and very efficiently, they are accomplished axedwarves already), and in the other one nobody has risen past novice and all they do is show each other how to dodge or strike (while all being novice or dabbling at it).

Also I hate how they switch to civilian and back all the time. Makes it impossible to tell which dwarves are assigned to squads and which aren't. I understand that they are supposed to be militia (i.e. workers with combat training and part-time service), but I'd rather have regular, full-time military. And that is only allowed after I get a baron :/

EDIT: Gosh, the game's moddable, how could I forget... One can make full-time military avaliable right from the start. Or make militias to be like regulars, whatever. Maybe I'll even try that if the situation does not improve in stable release.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 01:19:55 am by Murphy »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 01:21:29 am »

well nevermind... goblins showed up. I gave the 10 dwarf squad a kill order and half of them immediately went civilian and took a nap, the other half ran around the fort. Only one guy actually went to kill the goblin and he died fast alone.

Done with this until the military can actually be used at least as effectively as the old system.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4