Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trap nerf v. 0.31.01  (Read 2449 times)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
Trap nerf v. 0.31.01
« on: April 02, 2010, 03:18:28 pm »

So, a naked mole dog just walked through eight stone fall traps and is running around my fortress on a pair of broken legs.

More importantly, the combat report mentioned that the creature dodged some of the rocks.

And five high-quality wooden training weapons and spikes in a weapon trap failed to kill a giant toad, where they surely would have in the last version.

It looks like the combat / body raws changes has created an inherent trap nerf! On the other hand, some tweaking is obviously necessary to get rid of the occasional insta-healing, never-dying or insta-dying bugs that are in the new version, so maybe it'll go back to normal.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trap nerf v. 0.31.01
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 03:34:34 pm »

training weapons dont have edges, so technically they only do a very little blunt damage

Fetus4188

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 03:41:29 pm »

Training weapons are basically just shaped sticks.  They aren't going to be killing much of anything, let alone a giant toad.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 04:10:17 pm »

Stonefall traps are somewhat weaker than they used to be, but they're still deadly.

What amused me was that the combat logs say that the damage is caused by "spinning rocks".  I now can't even attempt to figure out what the hell a stonefall trap actually consists of.  They can't be dropping stones, because I can build them out in the open.  They can't be some kind of projectile, like a hidden catapult, because that would fire them without them spinning.

Maybe there's a blender buried in the soil which flicks out shards of granite?

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 04:16:17 pm »

I always pictured stonefall traps as a Wile E. Coyote construction of a few poles, a net, and a precariously balanced heap of boulders to be triggered by someone pulling a string.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 04:25:02 pm »

I'll have to keep all this in mind.  I got a 2x3 array of 3x iron disc traps guarding the front of my fort.  Only time will tell if they are sufficient.  Nothing has dared attack me yet except a couple of kobolds but that was before I had everything built.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 04:55:33 pm »

No, you are doing it wrong, the traps don't go on the outside.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 05:27:16 pm »

Well, like I say, they're half training weapons, and half menacing spikes. All extremely high quality due to immigrant Master Carpenters. And the key thing is, trap damage is now worked out like an 'attack', which enemies can now dodge.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 05:40:30 pm »

This is less a "trap nerf" and more a "things actually hurting other things" nerf. I suspect it's related to some of the things I've been finding out in the arena.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 05:53:28 pm »

Personally, I like the idea of nerfed traps.

Look at captain duck's video tutorials regarding traps/sieges a few versions back.  Three weapon traps.  A platoon of goblins mindlessly walk into a wall of 3 weapon traps and the traps cut EVERY LAST THING down on two occasions.  Screw military, a corridor for sieges with 2x3 weapon traps will serve all your needs.

This also means traps will likely become common realities in adventuring mode sometimes soon, dodging them (if you couldn't before?) and soon dealing with a way to exit cage traps.  I would imagine elves would set all sorts of (wooden) cage traps for humanoids in their forest retreats to guard against intruders (a healthy dose of fire cures that, though).  Humans would make weapon traps, and goblin fortresses would be amazing to assault.

This with the hospital setups and the work going towards wars and battle reports will likely mean some very fantastic battles in future versions and practically even now, forcing you to send 20-30 dwarves against a goblin siege instead of letting a couple weapon traps cut everything down until they fail (nigh impossible with masterwork mechanisms).

I look forward to reading battle reports, armoring up my dwarves head to toe in steel, and arming every last one of them with war hammers and playing goblin bowling.
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 05:57:23 pm »

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 06:47:14 pm »

I was about to draw that very thing and post it. That's exactly how I envision stonefall traps, except with the rock perched out a little farther over the string.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 06:56:39 pm »

Well, like I say, they're half training weapons, and half menacing spikes. All extremely high quality due to immigrant Master Carpenters. And the key thing is, trap damage is now worked out like an 'attack', which enemies can now dodge.

I think the problem is your assuming that the combat system is still the old version. Correct me if i'm wrong, but not only do wooden weapons suffer the whole 50% nerf thing, but now they're also not sharp aswell?
Magma is overrated.

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 07:15:50 pm »

There is no longer, this weapon does 100% damage, this does 50% All damage is found out by edge, weight, elasticity etc.  This makes gold as good as iron for swords, copper titans invincible and adamantine warhammers terrible.
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 07:21:15 pm »

Personally, I like the idea of nerfed traps.

Me too, but I'm not sure that's the issue here, because the descriptions given apply to combat as a whole. Dragons can't even seem to touch dudes wearing bronze armor now.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: [1] 2