Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Unlink Stay Inside to Burrows  (Read 2091 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unlink Stay Inside to Burrows
« on: April 02, 2010, 03:11:42 pm »

Burrows are a pain in the butt. I don't want to have to worry about spending an hour or two looking where every last dwarf needs to go to live and work for all of his jobs and making sure he has his own damn burrow set.

But unless I do that I can't order all dwarves to stay inside, because toady removed the command because we have burrows now.

Bring back order all dwarves to stay inside!!!

In fact, I'll go a step further and say the burrow system needs a complete overhaul, or at the very least an Official Instruction Manual, because right now it seems worse then useless. The only thing I've found a use for it thus far is not using it at all, and the only thing that has forced me to use it is the need to set my -entire fortress- as a burrow so as to keep my dwarves from going outside to meet their death.

Which makes having burrows completely useless. Especially since, given the new migrant system, most dwarves do multiple tasks and there is no real way to ever hand sort through each and every dwarf to make unique burrows for them.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 03:18:17 pm by lastofthelight »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Unlink Stay Inside to Burrows
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 03:25:02 pm »

I, too, want the 'stay inside' state back, without it I'm going to lose a lot of dwarves, because I simply don't have the patience to tell everyone not to go out!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 03:37:37 pm »

Worse yet, you have to then go back in and unselect specific military dwarves from the burrow to let them go outside!!!!!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 04:02:24 pm »

You're not supposed to mess with dwarves' burrow assignments every time you want them to go inside.  You're supposed to use a civilian alert state, from 'm'ilitary -> 'a'lerts or something.  I haven't tried it yet, though, so I'm not sure it works.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 04:09:29 pm by Footkerchief »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 04:26:40 pm »

It does, I've tested it. I don't have DF with me here at work, but you can designate a burrow (inside, the core of your fortress, up in a tower, whatever) and create an Alert state that has all civilian dwarves stay in that specific burrow, even if not assigned to it. You can also have your military have orders to defend that specific burrow if you want (or whereever else you need them)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 04:36:03 pm »

Haha! neat! ...too bad it's, you know, just more work, I don't mind it, it's just not as easy to remember as o-i. :-\
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 04:42:16 pm »

No, not as easy. BUT it does let you do a lot more.

For example, you can have separate Alert states for attacks from different areas. Goblins at the gates, everyone get behind the walls! Antmen from the mines, everyone get to the outer fortress areas! And so on.

Plus, you can have dwarves head to, say, an above ground castle instead of hiding out in the mines.

I haven't tried having a burrow split into multiple areas yet, but I'm planning on trying out watchtowers out in the hills near my fort that I can send all of my hunters/woodcutters to during attacks. Hopefully they'll go to the closest one.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 08:03:50 pm »

Quick question: How does that interact with other burrow assignments?

Like, say I have a bunch of dwarves set to separate burrows, some in different areas, some outside, some inside, etc.

Then I set the alert state telling everyone to get inside this one main burrow taking up the interior portion of the fort.

Will they still respect those other burrow assignments during the alert state?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 08:31:29 pm »

I don't think so, but I haven't tested it yet. I *think* that they'll all go wherever the Alert state tells them to go.
Come play Mafia with us!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 09:46:17 pm »

What I'm saying is, it would be nice if they could respect multiple burrow assignments simultaneously. Of course, this only works if the burrows actually overlap.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 01:32:08 am »

Burrows are great for the simple fact that you can have siege operators outside now, without having half your fortress charge out to their deaths.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 05:05:24 am »

A standard burrow, generated at startup, for the outside would be practical - especially in cliffy areas.

Also negative burrows - go anywhere except there - would save lots of work.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 06:02:55 am »

A bird's eye view would be extremely useful, assuming it'd work with burrow designating.

We don't need stay inside to come back just because you haven't figured out the new feature though. It was terrible, doubly so if you didn't immediately dig underground.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 06:13:11 am »

A compromise would be to have a kind of "dynamic burrow" that at any time covered anything inside, and a pre-set alert status that assigned all civilians to this burrow.

As it is, though, I must say I love the burrows system, not to mention the awesome squad menu and kill order system.

In fact, I'll go a step further and say the burrow system needs a complete overhaul, or at the very least an Official Instruction Manual, because right now it seems worse then useless
There are at least two guides to the military and burrows system in the Wiki already.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 06:21:37 am »

The military screen and squad stuff is still a tad impenetrable, though. I feel like I shouldn't really need a wiki to tell me how to operate something whose instructions are ostensibly right on the screen for me to look at.

The functionality seems great, but I just plain couldn't figure out how to do some things.
Pages: [1] 2 3