Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: New Designation: Downard Ramps; Revert Channel  (Read 8745 times)

Bruwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Designation: Downard Ramps; Revert Channel
« on: April 02, 2010, 02:53:41 pm »

Title is the gist of it. I absolutely love that you can create downward ramps now. It's convienent. However, I don't think it should be at the expense of the old way of channeling. So could we get a new designation that is specifically for downward ramps, and get the old form of channeling back?

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Designation: Downard Ramps; Revert Channel
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 05:07:42 pm »

You could always dig downward ramps, by digging upward ramps on the level below (even if that level was inaccessible).
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Bruwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 07:30:40 pm »

I'm well aware of this fact. However, I'm not as spatially minded as some, and occasionally put designations on the wrong level, which was a nuisance and could obviously be worked around. I suggested it for convenience sake, nothing more.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 10:47:44 pm »

Channeling into ramps adds realism and balance to dwarf fortress.  If you want to channel, you need to get into the pit you dug and dig it out yourself.  It prevents you from quickly digging a trench to block an enemy from approaching.  It also makes channeling out a large area easier as you have ramps to move up to a spot you missed. 

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 01:33:33 am »

You could always dig downward ramps, by digging upward ramps on the level below (even if that level was inaccessible).
Oh.

Now you tell me ;D.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 01:54:17 am »

Channeling into ramps adds realism and balance to dwarf fortress.  If you want to channel, you need to get into the pit you dug and dig it out yourself.  It prevents you from quickly digging a trench to block an enemy from approaching.  It also makes channeling out a large area easier as you have ramps to move up to a spot you missed. 

It is also annoying if you want to channel something that looks actually good. I you want to channel to tap water/magma: it results in ramp that you simply can not remove.

As far as cuting-off-enemies ballance is concerned, if you dig moat in preperation, you have more than enough time to remove ramps, if you dig moats as a reaction to incoming enemies, you can still do it easily by simply micromanaging remove ramp designation. It is pita, but not something that prevents people from doing it.

If you are still concerned about channeling-to-remove being abuse, you should make it rather slow and not benefit much from mining skill (rational bein that dwarf wants to carefull not to fall in it and that he has to reach down which is not exactly easy). In reward for slow channeling, stones could be atuomatically placed on tile where digger stands (no more channels filles with stones and no more channeling abuse in exchange for slow channeling *twitch*)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 07:55:40 am »

We need a way to remove ramps from above anyway. This handily removed the issue of stones being left behind in channels.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 01:39:14 am »

Definitely agree with bringing back old channelling - the new version is so annoying because it ends up with abundant situations where you can't remove the ramp later, no matter how much you plan (anytime you breach a liquid and don't plan on totally removing that liquid from the area or are incapable of doing so).

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 01:54:25 am »

Channeling into ramps adds realism and balance to dwarf fortress.  If you want to channel, you need to get into the pit you dug and dig it out yourself.  It prevents you from quickly digging a trench to block an enemy from approaching.
No it doesn't. You can still just build a wall or floor over the last ramp to seal it. All it does is make earthworks uglier.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 12:22:02 pm »

Moreover, if you wanted to make an actual, steep-walled channel, now you have to designate the same area twice,, first for channeling on the floor above, then to remove the ramps on the floor below.
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 12:32:18 pm »

Do we know that this is a working-as-intended balance issue? Because the removal of channels seems fairly sudden and arbitrary to me. The game has always been fairly dramatically unbalanced. These occasional nods in the direction of balance, like beds needing to be made of wood or being unable to dig channels and so on, seem kind of disingenuous when compared to gatlin-gun crossbows, armies filled with legendary comedians/pump operators, and moats full of carp. In fact I think I'd be happier with the rationale of "just because" than some ad-hoc argument in favor of "balance."

Wyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 07:33:07 pm »

I say if we're going to have channeling leave behind ramps, we should be able to lower ropes for miners to use to escape. Or be able to build down. Let's see if you can do that latter one...

/doodles around in DF2010

YEP! YOU CAN!

Honor is satisfied!

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 10:59:01 pm »

I actually rather like the new channeling system... wait a second, I forgot about how it generates 1-way ramps when I'm digging a pump-system to get magma to the surface...

nah, I still like it.

stuntedkind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 12:50:17 pm »

I'd be happy with it if the ramps were removable from above- it's very annoying to have submerged ramps left that I can't get rid of when channeling down into water filled areas.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 03:43:02 pm »

There's a more complete discussion about this in the Bugs forum:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=52685.0

For those of you who like the new system, how about a new command instead of fixing breaking changing the channel command?
Then everybody gets what they like.

I very much like zwei's suggestion above, slowing down channeling and putting the rock at the location of the digger.
Zwei Stimmen für Zwei
Pages: [1] 2 3 4