Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [spoilers 0.31] Pondering spoilers and HFS  (Read 2687 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: [spoilers 0.31] Pondering spoilers and HFS
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 07:27:20 pm »

Wait, so you can't build there? Daaaaamn. And I so wanted to have my nobles demonstrate dwarven might by LIVING there.

No, really. I really hoped I could make major outposts in hell.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
wait really so one can't build walls on top of the slate or a ceiling fort under there?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 07:45:35 pm »

an earlier post metioned that there is no bottomless chasms, and that the system is closed,  this is false, one if not all underground caverns are connected by open tunnels to the edge of the map, and you can drain water off there.  The underground creatures also migrate now, so you can have a gaint olm one day, and a horde of fleshballs the nexts..... also there is a creature called a fleshball, it is almost, if not worse then, the old tentacle demons.
Nom nom nom

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 08:24:09 pm »

[spoiler]When all of them are in the hall chasing after your animals (the hall must be sealed from your fortress, and preferably the outer world too if you wish to have any caravans or immigrants!), commence a dwarf to wall off the entrance back to their home, sealing all of them off into the separate area.
Assuming Supports and cave-ins work anything like the way they do in 40d, it's fairly easy to create a tunnel that can be sealed at the pull of a distant lever, instead of risking a dwarf (and your entire fortress). Simplest design, side view (# = wall, _ = floor):

Code: [Select]
#####
# I #
# # #
#_ _#

#####

(with the bottom being a 1-tile-wide tunnel, and the top part being open in the third dimension so that the block is attached to nothing but the support)

(This also assumes that the demons wouldn't deliberately break the support themselves, muddling your plans a little. Although, you could also kill them all with deliberate cave-ins if that was what you were going for.)

If you leave the floor solid, instead of with a hole in it, it'll keep the demons from damaging the support, while still allowing the block to crash through the floor and seal off the tunnel.  See diagram below:

#####
# I #
# # #
#___#

#####
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Level_8_Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 08:56:34 pm »

I've found a different way down to the bottom other than the Adimintium shafts.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 09:09:25 pm »

YES!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 10:34:37 pm »

YES!
find sword leave go in as adventure pull said sword FUN times a roll!.
also one can build on slade just make floors on the ground that should cancel the effects.and grant you sites I just did on my 3rd reclaim some how the witches down in the suger mill seem to have left*.  hopefully I can finished off the dining hall and bed rooms with out much dangers.

*except for one who attack us but we crowned her quickly, I think embarking one tile to the right of a goblin fort helps with roaming witches.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Burneddi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 01:24:34 pm »

[spoiler]When all of them are in the hall chasing after your animals (the hall must be sealed from your fortress, and preferably the outer world too if you wish to have any caravans or immigrants!), commence a dwarf to wall off the entrance back to their home, sealing all of them off into the separate area.
Assuming Supports and cave-ins work anything like the way they do in 40d, it's fairly easy to create a tunnel that can be sealed at the pull of a distant lever, instead of risking a dwarf (and your entire fortress). Simplest design, side view (# = wall, _ = floor):

#####
# I #
# # #
#_ _#

#####

(with the bottom being a 1-tile-wide tunnel, and the top part being open in the third dimension so that the block is attached to nothing but the support)

(This also assumes that the demons wouldn't deliberately break the support themselves, muddling your plans a little. Although, you could also kill them all with deliberate cave-ins if that was what you were going for.)
Someone on IRC suggested that, but it seems that cave-ins have been somewhat changed: I dropped 1 tile of rock down 2 z-levels into the hallway, and it broke into a stone instead of making a wall there as it would have done on 40d I think.

Therefore I had to use a bit more dangerous method.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 01:26:35 pm by Burneddi »

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 01:43:08 pm »

Get to that room in adventurer mode. RELEASE THE DEMONS! and run. See how far you can get before being cut down as hell flows out of the depths and changes the age :P
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 01:54:09 pm »

Hell. Yes.

Dwarf Fortress just got a whole lot more epic.

Coded One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 02:02:54 pm »

Get to that room in adventurer mode. RELEASE THE DEMONS! and run. See how far you can get before being cut down as hell flows out of the depths and changes the age :P

Do released demons really have an effect on the outside world? Would be interesting to see global wars against crusading hell demons.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 02:11:15 pm »

Do released demons really have an effect on the outside world? Would be interesting to see global wars against crusading hell demons.

They hadn't in the last version. (At least not when I tested it)
They just stood idlye, just outside my fort.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2010, 02:14:03 pm »

In the old version, if you released demons it would some times changed the age. So yeah, I think infinite demons would cause a major change.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2010, 02:31:59 pm »

They have 8 legs, but only use four. Obviously this is Charles Darwins nighmare.

No. I think you'd be surprised if you actually study what comes out of a million years' worth of generations. "Survival of the fittest" isn't always as obvious as you might first assume.

Burneddi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2010, 02:42:35 pm »

In the old version, if you released demons it would some times changed the age. So yeah, I think infinite demons would cause a major change.
They're not infinite, but there's loads of them. And they're damn difficult to bring down, the first ones that emerge that is. Harder than megabeasts, I'd guess. That's just a guess, though.

I don't know whether or not they will go out and change the world after your fortress has been destroyed by them, though.
Pages: 1 [2]