Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [spoilers 0.31] Pondering spoilers and HFS  (Read 2692 times)

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[spoilers 0.31] Pondering spoilers and HFS
« on: April 02, 2010, 01:22:25 pm »

tagged for those who dont want to read about it yet, just posting what ive seen so far. this was a 'FUN' spoiler ending to my first fort in 0.31, as i dug too deep too quickly.

the advice i have from this experience? dont dig past the magma. dont dig the 'special' ore. but do go ahead and dig down. the first three layers i found were safe enough, and im sure i havent seen all there is to see yet. just a small portion of it.

so, my first fort has 63 levels below ground. I found the adamantium by the magma, and breached a shaft.... multiple screens of new clown types poured out give out free 'FUN' and the walls were not up in time. as i write this they have escaped into the world outside.

the first spoiler i found was a cavern lake level. i saw a giant olm. started at 14 down, contined to 18 down. we only see a certain distance from where we punch into an area. we only see creatures that are in the area we reveal. a valid strategy for the upper areas is to punch in multiple areas and then wall off the small holes you make.

the second spoiler was a vast cavern of tower-caps. started at 35 down, continued to 38 down. i saw a tower-cap man. we have mushroom people now, and a wider range of foilage. goblin-caps(red), tunnle tube(purple), spore tree(aqua), blood thorn(dark red), black cap(grey), nether cap(navy), and multiple colors of shrubs. there was a water pool on this level.

the 3rd spoiler was a 'sea' of magma. i saw magma men. there is a new rock type here, semi-molten rock. you cannot dig past it, which makes this layer a much more difficult barrier. i saw magma-men. from 43 to 47, with semi-molten rock blocking my attempt to dig lower into 48.

the best ore we can find was by the magam, and near the top of this area i dug into a shaft which went ALL the way down to clown-town. the lower strata that i could observe was a WIDE open space with no supports for the ceiling. the cavern was bigger than the observable area for punching a shaft into somewhere, more than 100 squares across. the shaft i found began on 44, inside a pillar that was in the middle of the magma sea. the wide open space began on 52.

after the punch-through, i got another message, a noise from below. looking below i see a 'rough hewn slade wall', no idea whats with that, but its the only visible rock type of the depths. there are upward sloping hills, with the clown pits below them. they were incredibly fast going up the various stairs. the door didnt slow them at all.

now for how many i found? there were 5 screens full of clowns. my dwarfs defeated a 'fiend of brine' as they were running to recover the fallen socks of their burning friends.

the types i saw: Red demon, fiend of brine, ghost of snow, fire wraith, thrush devil, Finch devil, spirit of steam, snow banshee, gray fiend. They all became visible at once, before they were all out of the deep shaft. so detection for these clowns has changed. they did not set off the traps outside, so thats the same as usual.

piesquared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [spoilers 0.31] Pondering spoilers and HFS
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 03:04:29 pm »

Full spoiler:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I saw clowns on the other side of the map soon after I breached, but they seemed to just hang around for a while... long enough for me to explore a little. When they started moving, it was sudden and fast. Probably half had breath weapons of one sort or another, and one appeared to use "frozen" something or another as a projectile weapon, which was pretty awesome.

I'm not sure which creature did it, but halfway through the fight one of my dwarfs was injured and lay down in bed. Three-quarters of the way through the fight I thought my tileset was broken because he and his bed had turned into a purple tile. The next time I checked it was more obvious - he was actually creating a huge cloud of miasma. A look at his profile revealed that every single one of his body parts was rotting. While he was still alive. Unfortunately the clowns took down the last of my impromtu militia and killed him before the disease had time to run its course.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 03:36:07 pm »

I got myself 7 miners and embarked on a plains (or something similar), digging straight to clown town.

Must say I'm really impressed by the new underground stuff. There will be plenty of fun and FUN™ to be had there for sure.  ;D
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Burneddi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 04:03:50 pm »

Hello!
I just did some experiements with the HFS.
Major spoilers in the spoiler (:-D)

It is to be suspected that these are atleast somewhat randomly generated.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 04:13:21 pm by Burneddi »

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 04:14:12 pm »

Wait, so you can't build there? Daaaaamn. And I so wanted to have my nobles demonstrate dwarven might by LIVING there.

No, really. I really hoped I could make major outposts in hell.

Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Truec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 04:21:03 pm »

So far, I've only reached as far as the magma sea, with no luck finding the pillars to dig down past the semi-molten rock layer.  Anybody have any advice for finding my precious blue metal?

Burneddi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 04:21:48 pm »

Wait, so you can't build there? Daaaaamn. And I so wanted to have my nobles demonstrate dwarven might by LIVING there.

No, really. I really hoped I could make major outposts in hell.

That was on my mind too, with that experiement of mine, but a little design fault (the well, actually) and all my dwarves ended up dead.

But well, it was possible to build a staircase down there. You can now (I can't remember if you could in 40d) build up/down staircases that "hang" from other staircases from above, so you can use them like ladders. So yes, I have had a dwarf walk in the HFS. Didn't have any time to build there, because he got thirsty, went to the surface, and died with the happy smile of a dwarf that has just gotten good ale.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 05:05:27 pm »

was just running a new fort, took me longer to find things though.

wagon embarked at z-level 144, brook is at 136, skytop is 165. the bottom layer is a negative number however. I found the trees layer again at 93, with a nearby magma-pipe thats deeper than i can see just yet. the bottom is at -25. yes, negative 25. or 174 z-levels underground.

this time i can see tower caps(white), fungiwood(yellow), and a fair number of cave spider webs. magma from 89 to 73, and obviously going deeper. ther partial reveal of breaking into these chambers is interesting. im going to try and fully reveal this layer before i try to go any deeper though.

the one worry i have at this point, is a real lack of bottomless chasm. i used to have a chasm-drain for my waterfall, but now it looks like i have to use a closed system, which i have not done before.

edit- punched a new hole, can now see magma pipe as far down as layer 34. looks like a standard magma pipe as far down as i can see.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 05:16:27 pm by Captain Xenon »

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 05:14:27 pm »

Having a closed system is bad on framerates, and takes a bit of work to get the power linkages right. I had one on my old NoobFort, Very handy, just is even worse on framerate then a regular waterfall is, especially if you screw up like I did and have leaks everywhere. I suggest just building a massive reservoir.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 05:18:35 pm »

what I have learned is that you shouldn't connect your "dig deep" shaft directly to your fort
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 05:39:22 pm »

There appear to be a few flaws in the random demon generator.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 06:49:38 pm »

How is there a flaw?
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 07:00:04 pm »

There appear to be a few flaws in the random demon generator.
Yeah, there's been a few eight-legged quadrupeds... as long as they're not humanoid, eight legged quadrupeds...  ;)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 07:03:05 pm »

They have 8 legs, but only use four. Obviously this is Charles Darwins nighmare.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 07:04:40 pm »

[spoiler]When all of them are in the hall chasing after your animals (the hall must be sealed from your fortress, and preferably the outer world too if you wish to have any caravans or immigrants!), commence a dwarf to wall off the entrance back to their home, sealing all of them off into the separate area.
Assuming Supports and cave-ins work anything like the way they do in 40d, it's fairly easy to create a tunnel that can be sealed at the pull of a distant lever, instead of risking a dwarf (and your entire fortress). Simplest design, side view (# = wall, _ = floor):

Code: [Select]
#####
# I #
# # #
#_ _#

#####

(with the bottom being a 1-tile-wide tunnel, and the top part being open in the third dimension so that the block is attached to nothing but the support)

(This also assumes that the demons wouldn't deliberately break the support themselves, muddling your plans a little. Although, you could also kill them all with deliberate cave-ins if that was what you were going for.)
Pages: [1] 2