Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Silver 2010: Best Thing Ever?  (Read 3160 times)

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Silver 2010: Best Thing Ever?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 02:19:17 pm »

I have a guess as to why adamantine makes better weapons when it logically shouldn't.

Adamantine is magic!

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 02:34:49 pm »

Out of curiousity, even if it doesn't deal large amounts of damage as a weapon, can it block attacks better than all else due to natural hardness of the material?

I mean, otherwise what's the point of going for it?
Statues that are worth a lot?  Meh, not worth the hassle.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Rimbecano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 03:23:45 pm »

I think adamantium would still be better than steel.  Mostly because I think you'd be able to swing it faster if it's lighter.  And it's slightly harder(steel is pretty hard though) so slightly more force is transferred.  Unfortunately, I know just enough about physics to know force is related to both speed and weight, but not enough to remember exactly how.  Plus, figuring that out sounds like homework.

You'd be able to swing it faster, but there's a certain maximum performance to your muscles. How fast you can swing your arm with no load is the limit, and I'm not sure an adamantine weapon of reasonable size* would add enough load, seeing as (solid) adamantine has about the density of cork (liquid adamantine has about the density of aluminum, so just like ice floats on water, solid adamantine should float on liquid adamantine. Solid adamantine floats on water (or would in RL), and liquid adamantine sinks (aided by the fact that it would boil away the water, increasing the density difference further)).

*You could make it have a really, really long handle, it which case it would have a large moment of inertia, which would allow you to do some serious walloping with it, but it might be a bit awkward to handle ("Say what? The hammerdwarves are demanding another three Z levels for the height of the ceiling in the main hall?")

Where adamantine would be really useful in a hammer is as plating, and for the handle. Use a lead hammer head, plate it in adamantine for hardness and stick it on a lightweight adamantine shaft (you want as much weight in the head and as little in the handle as possible).

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 03:29:33 pm »

Well, I was grossly oversimplifying it, of course. Things like elasticity and hardness will have some effect as well.

Still, I'd much rather have a lead hammer and adamantine armor than an adamantine hammer and lead armor.

Rakeela

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 03:40:44 pm »

Still, I'd much rather have a lead hammer and adamantine armor than an adamantine hammer and lead armor.

Well said.
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the blood god, for it is a dwarven number.  It's number is five-hundred and eighty nine.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53222.0

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 03:46:14 pm »

Also, dwarves wouldn't waste adamantine on a solid adamantine hammer.  They'd put something heavy in the head, but make the rest out of adamantine.  This gives you the best of both worlds:  A hammer that can be swung very hard without risk of damaging it, which still hits very hard when it connects.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 03:46:48 pm »

Mass*Accelaration? So something going at a constant speed of 100mph will do less damage than something going 10mph but increasing speed by 10m/s per second?
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 03:49:53 pm »

Mass*Accelaration? So something going at a constant speed of 100mph will do less damage than something going 10mph but increasing speed by 10m/s per second?

facepalm

Start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceleration

report back when you're done

or i could just give you the short version:

In one dimension, i.e. a line, acceleration is the rate at which something speeds up or slows down. However, as a vector quantity, acceleration is also the rate at which direction changes.

Fetus4188

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 03:50:02 pm »

People need to move away from the D&D idea that adamantium is a +10 material or whatever.  It's not like that in DF anymore, what it is now is an extremely strong and extremely lightweight metal.  This makes it very good for armor and poor for most weapons (which require a little momentum to be dangerous), however it *should* be great for things like spears and thrusting swords, though I don't know if that's actually the case right now.

Weapons that use a slashing motion (some swords, axes, hammers, mauls, etc) do their damage by building up momentum through their swing, which is then transmitted to the target.  Heavier weapons are always going to be more damaging when they connect.  However, I think the current system downplays the importance of balanced weight in regards to accuracy and how tired it should make the wielder.  A lead maul would indeed be a completely devastating weapon, however the windup should be so long that it's easily dodged, and when an attack misses the attacked must expend the same amount of energy slowing down the weapon for another attack as he did in attempting to land it, so he'll be tiring quite as quickly.

As mentioned above, ideal weapons would probably be an alloy of adamantium and lead or steel (or adamantium with inlayed weights) to harness the hardness of adamantium and its ability to hold an edge / resistance to deformation and then using the other metals to reach an ideal weight balance.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 03:52:36 pm by Fetus4188 »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 03:57:31 pm »

facepalm

Start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceleration

report back when you're done

or i could just give you the short version:

In one dimension, i.e. a line, acceleration is the rate at which something speeds up or slows down. However, as a vector quantity, acceleration is also the rate at which direction changes.

Actually, (as Fetus just mentioned) momentum (mass*velocity) would be what you need to look at to figure out "damage", not force.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Tomb332

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 04:39:10 pm »

From what I have seen in arena mode now adamantium does fare badly for war hammers, and I got the best results with a platinum hammer as it weights even more than steel. Second best is a gold hammer.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 05:32:51 pm »

So the best hammers are also the most blingin' hammers.

Dwarf Fortress, you're amazing. And pimpin'.

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2010, 05:40:30 pm »

People need to move away from the D&D idea that adamantium is a +10 material or whatever.  It's not like that in DF anymore, what it is now is an extremely strong and extremely lightweight metal.  This makes it very good for armor and poor for most weapons (which require a little momentum to be dangerous), however it *should* be great for things like spears and thrusting swords, though I don't know if that's actually the case right now.

I was just pointing out that in DnD: silver + undead = no undead, adamantium wasn't even in my thinking.
Don't go drowning your boss for telling you to work.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2010, 05:52:16 pm »

On the topic of evil-banishing metals, how could cold iron be worked into this game?

Just out of curiosity.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 06:09:13 pm »

I made all my gems [SHARP] in 40d. Maybe here I can also make them extremely deadly!
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 [2] 3