Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Silver 2010: Best Thing Ever?  (Read 3156 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Silver 2010: Best Thing Ever?
« on: April 02, 2010, 12:36:02 pm »

So my new fortress. It does not have iron. It does not have wood. There is no fish in the river, there are few animals to hunt...and the only two metals I have thus found are silver and copper.

But I have found them in neigh-infinite quantities!

My new export is 'Silver Statues', which regularly go for 1000+ a statue, since statues now have quality modifiers as per engravings. My fortress' sole export is now glass-encrusted silver statues. If I could somehow make weapons and armor from silver, everything in my fortress would be made of silver.

I love silver.

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Silver 2010: Best Thing Ever?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 12:44:24 pm »

You can make weapons from silver! Unless something changed, however, you can't make armor from it. I'm not sure how effective silver weaponry is with the new materials system, but who cares?

I embarked with an Adequate Teacher/Leader/Speardwarf to be my militia commander. For his weapon?

Silver. I mean, he's basically an aristocrat, right? :>

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 12:49:32 pm »

I must have the opposite of your fort, I have wood and fish I lack iron, but I have lots of nickel and GOLD.
Don't go drowning your boss for telling you to work.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 12:51:23 pm »

I think they should make silver weapons be very strong against the undead. Perhaps bring them up to steel modifier (or perhaps better) against undead only.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 12:53:41 pm »

I think they should make silver weapons be very strong against the undead. Perhaps bring them up to steel modifier (or perhaps better) against undead only.

Nah, just make all your silver into crossbow bolt.
"I surmise these goblins are the most hated goblins of all goblins."
"Why do you say that, professor?"
"They're all filled with 10,000 dwarf buck worth of silver bolts."
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 01:09:02 pm »

Werewolves only

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 01:13:12 pm »

Werewolves only

Think D&D

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 01:22:50 pm »

*checks the tattered bits of the 40d wiki*
I'm not sure why all silver weapons have a 50% damage modifier like wood. I mean, if your wielding a hammer, for instance, it doesn't matter if its made of iron or silver, if its heavy enough your still going to get hurt, no matter if your wearing steel plate mail or bronze chain.

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 01:27:02 pm »

Well in DF2010 weight is the issue =P not the material so don't be concerned with the 50% from 40d.... but you probably knew this.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

Rakeela

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 01:28:38 pm »

Perhaps someone should mod hammers so that their weapon modifier is based partially on material weight, partially on material quality.

This would have the effect that a steel hammer should probably be more powerful than an adamantium hammer, due to the extreme lightness of adamantium.  I'm not sure this is a problem.  Featherweight bludgeons don't make much sense anyways.

I'm not sure where the 'balance point' between density and quality is.  As frightening as a lead hammer would be on the grounds of weight, it would lose a lot of energy to deforming.  A steel hammer should be more dangerous in combat even though it is a lighter metal.
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the blood god, for it is a dwarven number.  It's number is five-hundred and eighty nine.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53222.0

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 01:42:08 pm »

Perhaps someone should mod hammers so that their weapon modifier is based partially on material weight, partially on material quality.

This would have the effect that a steel hammer should probably be more powerful than an adamantium hammer, due to the extreme lightness of adamantium.  I'm not sure this is a problem.  Featherweight bludgeons don't make much sense anyways.

I'm not sure where the 'balance point' between density and quality is.  As frightening as a lead hammer would be on the grounds of weight, it would lose a lot of energy to deforming.  A steel hammer should be more dangerous in combat even though it is a lighter metal.

I think adamantium would still be better than steel.  Mostly because I think you'd be able to swing it faster if it's lighter.  And it's slightly harder(steel is pretty hard though) so slightly more force is transferred.  Unfortunately, I know just enough about physics to know force is related to both speed and weight, but not enough to remember exactly how.  Plus, figuring that out sounds like homework.

So far I've found TONS of Iron, and a little bit of garnierite on my fortress.  And gems. 

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 01:53:49 pm »

Lead Hammer > Silver Hammer > Wood Hammer > Adamantine Hammer > Styrofoam Hammer

IMO. I had pretty sound results with a silver warhammer against giant eagles and yeti.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 01:58:10 pm »

I think adamantium would still be better than steel.  Mostly because I think you'd be able to swing it faster if it's lighter.  And it's slightly harder(steel is pretty hard though) so slightly more force is transferred.  Unfortunately, I know just enough about physics to know force is related to both speed and weight, but not enough to remember exactly how.  Plus, figuring that out sounds like homework.

So far I've found TONS of Iron, and a little bit of garnierite on my fortress.  And gems. 

Force = Mass * Acceleration.

Adamantium is ridiculously light compared to steel, so you'd have to swing it much more quickly. I don't know the exact numbers, but let's assume Adamantium is 10x lighter than steel (it's probably much more light than that). You'd have to swing the hammer 10x as quickly to get the same amount of force. Not just a 10x increase in speed, but a 10x increase in acceleration. And that just gets to be insane, even with this admittedly low numbers.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 02:11:21 pm »

I think impact elasticity has something to do with the force of a hammer as well.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 02:17:12 pm »

Force = Mass * Acceleration.

Adamantium is ridiculously light compared to steel, so you'd have to swing it much more quickly. I don't know the exact numbers, but let's assume Adamantium is 10x lighter than steel (it's probably much more light than that). You'd have to swing the hammer 10x as quickly to get the same amount of force. Not just a 10x increase in speed, but a 10x increase in acceleration. And that just gets to be insane, even with this admittedly low numbers.

Ok yeah.  With a hammer, steel is probably better than adamantium.  It seems like the best case is that they should be the same because the amount of force the dwarf swings with stays the same.  So maybe an adamantium hammer would accelerate fast enough to hit just as hard.  I'm guessing with sharp weapons it's sharper but hat doesn't matter much for this problem.

And I doubt adamantium is much less elastic than steel.  The only way I can see that mattering is if it makes the impact take longer(which would weaken it I think).  And I'm pretty sure the difference is very minor.  Might be enough to matter though.
Pages: [1] 2 3