Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Will the overeager wikiediting morons please stand up?  (Read 2121 times)

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will the overeager wikiediting morons please stand up?
« on: April 02, 2010, 12:23:46 pm »

Point one: the vast, vast majority of the information relating to 40d is still mostly correct for 2010.

Point two: some of us are still playing 40d since 2010 is so overwhelmingly buggy right now.

Point three: there is absolutely no harm in leaving old information up while labelling it clearly as such, until such time as new information is dependable.

Point four: Thanks for ruining a perfectly good resource, you idiots.

Since the wiki people have chosen to make it worthless, I'll ask here: nickel silver is magma proof, right?  What is the reaction formula for it?

municipalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • There really isn't anything to do there
Re: Will the overeager wikiediting morons please stand up?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 12:26:22 pm »

Uh. The article for Magma-safe materials for 40d is still up.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Magma_proof

And if it changes... it's a wiki... just go to the History tab and look up older version of the page.
We need a common enemy we can magnify into a monster, whisper about, conspire about, hang in effigy.

stormbringer951

• Bay Watcher
  • Semper Dwarfius
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 12:26:48 pm »

Nickel  Silver  can not be smelted from an ore. It must be smelted at a Smelter using the following Recipe:

* 2x Nickel + Copper + zinc

Nickel Silver has a base value of 3. It is more valuable than its components, but its main purpose is to dilute nickel to make magma-proof items. Brass can be made from the copper and zinc instead, which has value 7, averaging much more value.

He's got a point, though. Whoever edited the wiki simply broke all the links (e.g. pages on 40d information point to pages that seem to be placeholders for 31.01). And it's tiresome having to add "40d:" to all the URLs at the moment. :|
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:28:41 pm by stormbringer951 »
ahh, the internet, where all that you need to aquire the blueprints of war-capable submarines is an email account
Ironblood vs Morul. Natural badassery vs intense lifetime training. Nothing will survive.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 12:27:09 pm »

I have to agree with you on this one. It's hard to find any single bit of information on the DF wiki now. It's foolish to assume that every single thing has changed with 2010.

municipalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 12:30:54 pm »

Oh, a clarification. It looks like the bot that's 'updating' the pages isn't putting in the proper redirect to the old page. Searching through the history, you can find it. Or just put "40d:" in front of the page you want to go to.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Nickel_silver
We need a common enemy we can magnify into a monster, whisper about, conspire about, hang in effigy.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 12:33:06 pm »

This has always been my problem with wiki-editors. Either you have wikipedia, where the 'editors' to the articles who have been around wikipedia awhile and have awards and clout are all editing the articles they have a bias against, while trying to passive-aggressively assume they are, in fact, neutral editors....

...or you have over-edited junk like the DF wiki is now.

municipalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 12:35:42 pm »

It's a bot that's doing it. A buggy bot as well. It looks like people have already made a request to fix the links on the bot's page.

stormbringer951

• Bay Watcher
  • Semper Dwarfius
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 12:43:12 pm »

:)

Good to see the clarification.
ahh, the internet, where all that you need to aquire the blueprints of war-capable submarines is an email account
Ironblood vs Morul. Natural badassery vs intense lifetime training. Nothing will survive.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 01:08:19 pm »

The released was obviously expected and we discussed how to best transition to a new version as effectively as possible and it was brought up in IRC and I'd mentioned the transition on the forums here before, as well as it being constantly in the RC list.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Dwarf_Fortress_Wiki_talk:Versions

Obviously everyone here thinks that the way it was done wasn't the best, but I urge you to read some of the opinions that were presented before the upgrade that people went forward with to try to make the transition effective.

I'm not going to go out and explain the rationale for how the wiki was planned to be prepared for the new version (the above link should do that), but in all the time when it was discussed I wish as many people cared as apparently do in this thread.

Basically the way it's being done is to ensure that DF2010:Subject articles contain ONLY up to date info, and 40d: contain ONLY 40d info (and 23a contain only that). 

But I'll address the OPs points:

1) It's all still there, and the parts that are exactly the same as DF2010 will be available in the DF2010 when it's confirmed (and a lot isn't the same).
2)And all the information still exists for 40d, not just in history but in actual articles.  Though it might be a couple clicks more difficult to reach.
3)EXACTLY.  That's why it is how it is.  All the information is STILL There, and STILL labeled as 40d only, or DF2010 only.
4)I'd calmly ask you to ask questions before you start insulting people who want nothing more then to make something useful for you.  You'll note I'm not calling you an idiot/moron even though you apparently couldn't find information even with a very obvious search button.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 01:25:57 pm »

I've been re-directed to a broken link a few times myself lately, but to put it simply there just isn't a better way to do it. The kinks will be worked out soon enough, anyhow. I wasn't actively part of the discussion about this whole swap, but I followed it and concur with everything except the silly moniker of "DF2010" that's been adopted (and even that's a trivial concern). The wiki admins and other users are all doing their best to make it as convenient for players to use as possible. I'd also caution you to check your tone; even if the wide, generalized group of people you were denigrating did want to ruin the wiki for you, it doesn't exempt you from use of basic manners.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 01:32:45 pm »

I've been re-directed to a broken link a few times myself lately, but to put it simply there just isn't a better way to do it. The kinks will be worked out soon enough, anyhow. I wasn't actively part of the discussion about this whole swap, but I followed it and concur with everything except the silly moniker of "DF2010" that's been adopted (and even that's a trivial concern). The wiki admins and other users are all doing their best to make it as convenient for players to use as possible. I'd also caution you to check your tone; even if the wide, generalized group of people you were denigrating did want to ruin the wiki for you, it doesn't exempt you from use of basic manners.

It's been set up in such a way that the DF2010 namespace name can be changed with a very very small amount of effort, in fact there is a lot of work Briess did in the background to make that flexible after-the-fact.  So no worries there.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 01:34:45 pm »

If you want to help out, by all means help out too!

Most people who have a handle on the new release are playing it, leaving a very few of us devoting time out of our playing time to update and clean the wiki for those who don't know/have problems with the new release.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 01:54:37 pm »

It's been set up in such a way that the DF2010 namespace name can be changed with a very very small amount of effort, in fact there is a lot of work Briess did in the background to make that flexible after-the-fact.  So no worries there.

Delightful! [edited out link]
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 02:37:00 pm by Retro »

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 01:59:38 pm »

I'd like to point out that helping update the Wiki can be a very easy process: once you confirm that something works the same or mostly the same as it did in 40d, you can copy over some of the content from the previous page (but only if you have confirmed it) and simply make the relevant edits based on the differences.

This weekend I plan to do just that for some of them - for instance, copying over the farming bits and changing all of the "rock floors must be muddied" to "subterranean floors must be muddied" (as well as not copying things I have yet to witness myself, like what problems arise from a plot that's half indoors and half outdoors).

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 02:09:09 pm »

wrong thread!  :-\
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 02:46:01 pm by Mason11987 »
Pages: [1] 2