Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: [0.31.01] No Fish. Anywhere.  (Read 26308 times)

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] No Fish. Anywhere.
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2010, 02:39:10 am »

in several different embarkations, I've only ever managed to catch turtles. No fish anywhere. Get "No more fish" messages, even when in temp lands with brooks and immigrant fishermen with "High" something skill in fishing.

Turtles, on the other hand, are generally plentiful, so long as the embarkation sites are moderate in temperature and there's a brook and one or more ponds in the area.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2010, 08:02:56 am »

I don't understand what people are saying about the fishing zone saying that there are fish.

It doesn't. It says how many squares can be fished from.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Nimrod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2010, 08:19:08 am »

I don't understand what people are saying about the fishing zone saying that there are fish.

It doesn't. It says how many squares can be fished from.

Correct.
It doesn't say jack about the abundance of fish.

---=== Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam ===---

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2010, 08:50:49 am »

I have noticed fairly consistently that after I get the "There are no more fish in the ..." message, if I check the activity zone I will see the number next to fish on the zone go to zero.  It resets every season, and I have to actually have a dwarf try to fish from it first, but it does indicate that there are no more fish to be caught in that zone.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2010, 09:07:56 am »

I've seen the same thing on three different generated worlds.  One was mountainous with only aboveground and underground pools.  One was happy temperate forest with a river and plenty of aboveground ponds.  My current is bordering "Haunted" territory with a river and ponds.  Immediate reports of "No fish in ..." in all three, even embarking with a skilled fisherdwarf and setting fishing zones.  It's been a year and a half in the current fortress, without a single fish or turtle caught, so it's not based on seasonal fish appearances, at least for me.  I'll probably have to abandon the fortress since there's also nothing to hunt except skeletal mountain goats, which I'm pretty sure aren't edible.  (Not to mention I've had three military people fighting one for over a season and they've only managed to pull a horn off, break some ribs and tear its legs off.)

Something I noticed, that nobody has mentioned, when I built a Fishery and traps and gave the Fishery the "Catch Live Fish" activity, my Fisherdwarf went to pick up a trap, and then stood around the fortress, doing nothing but holding the trap.  As soon as I canceled the "Catch Live Fish" activity, he dropped the trap and went to find something to drink and eat.

I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2010, 10:24:48 am »

OK, so I fired up DF, genned a world with parameters (one of the sets designed by Toady that comes already added to the worldgen file), set up a fishing zone along the beach, and... VOILA!  Fish!  Rays, oysters, etc. etc. in abundance.

Don't see any mega-fauna type fish, but that is normal- I almost never saw them in the previous version.

I think we've already been over this at the mantis tracker, but in the games you guys tested out... were the worlds with no fish created with your own custom worldgen parameters, or with ones that were included with the game originally?

*edit* er, nevermind, I see people were complaining more about pools, rivers, underground water, etc.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 10:29:02 am by Misterstone »

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2010, 11:59:21 pm »

The only fish I've ever seen in my 2x8 over-estuary Bridgefort are Sea Nettles, does that count?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2010, 03:28:06 am »

I've started forts in about a dozen locations now and have yet to be able to establish any fishing industry at all regardless of climate. It's not for lack of running water either as I almost always embark on a location with a brook. I've started two or three seaside forts as well and there was never any sign of any fish at all.

Beyond that, I've yet to see any fish besides cave fish and cave lobsters offered on the embark screen. I'm sure that prepared orangutan brains have their appeal to some dwarves, but the sailfin molly and turtles that fed many a dwarf early on in the last version are totally unavailable this time around even though the mountainhome itself is quite capable of producing them. Surface fishing is pretty definitely broken in this version.

SwiftSpear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2010, 06:33:45 am »

EDIT:  Could it be something dealing with me turning temperature and weather off for performance issues??
It's quite possible that fish spawn based on a temperature value or something, so you have different fish different times of the year, or fish don't spawn in ice, or something like that.  I think vermin work quite differently than hunt-able animals in terms of how it figures out when and where they appear.
laceholder Signature

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2010, 01:25:33 pm »

Finally had a fort with turtles, at least. Temperate forest, and an Adequate fisherdwarf was having no problems catching them.  Still haven't seen anything but turtles, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2010, 07:30:36 pm »

Update on the fish and temperature idea.

So far, in every place but one, where I have started in a Freezing or a Scorching (or even merely hot) environment, there have been no fish what so ever.  Above ground or below in the caverns.

It is probably very temperature related.

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2010, 07:42:17 pm »

Update, again.

All temperature areas tested, with three different fortresses and four different worlds (two with custom generation settings, two without).

Freezing
Cold
Temperate
Warm
Hot

Only a single area ever had fish in it.  A couple had Marlins and Sturgeon show up for about a minute, and one had whales, but absolutely no fishable fish or even turtles

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2010, 08:33:45 pm »

Toady has marked this as Resolved in the bug tracker, so I think we should be good whenever the next bug fix version comes out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2010, 02:33:04 am »

wonder if it's something in the RAWs or a true bugfix.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Slitherrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2010, 05:03:58 pm »

I don't suppose anyone has a workaround in the meantime?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5