Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishery suggestion.  (Read 1025 times)

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fishery suggestion.
« on: September 06, 2006, 12:06:00 am »

Toady, please, for the love of god, please make the Fishery auto job the clean fish when there is raw fish.

sawtooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fishery suggestion.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 01:09:00 am »

I don't think raw fish are a problem unless you lack storage space for them to be placed.  They'll keep just fine in barrels.  I'd much rather have fisherdwarves catching all the stuff they can in certain seasons than switching between fishing and cleaning jobs.

Now, I'd love to see more detailed kitchen information so I see how much fish needed to be processed.  This is easy until you start cooking meals.

Actually, this information would be nice to see on the workshop screen itself.  "You have x fish to prepare" and would be nice for other workshops as well.

Of course, one usually has a slight barrel shortage if you start with a fisherdwarf and they try to start fishing right away.  In this case, i turn off fish and cancel his fishing task as soon as I can from the unit screen (I think it lets one cancel once he gets to wherever he will be fishing from).  If you do want him to fish soon then build a carpenter's workshop asap and build a few barrels and get them into some stockpiles to be used.

It's much better for your fish cleaner to prepare a bunch at once rather than do one, then go across the map and only have to come back to clean the next one.

Seshat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 02:29:00 am »

Bumping this. I'd love to have auto-fish-cleaning just like there's auto-butchering. Usually two fisherdwarves keep my fishcleaning dwarf busy, but occasionally there's a delay.

At that point, the fishery job stops, and I have to wait until there's fish again then manually reset it.

If it's a simple or trivial thing to do, please make an auto-fish-cleaning just like the auto-butchering. You can even make it a workshop option, so people like sawtooth can have it turned off, but people like Cap Action and I can have it on.

Actually, I just realised that it'd be nifty to have fat auto-rendered, for the same reason.

Thank you!

Thanks!

[ November 21, 2007: Message edited by: Seshat ]

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 03:29:00 am »

While we are at it: Could we PLEASE have fish bones and shells removed from raw fish at the fishery?

(As a solution to the fact that there a some locations where you need to start with turtle in order to have bone and shell for artifact ingredients, why not let people point-buy bones and shells? Bins of bones and shells might also make sense as trade goods for human and dwarven traders to bring along with them.)

Entropy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 07:11:00 pm »

Ive often wondered why the fishery wasnt auto-job.
If you want to maximize fishing for a while and just stockpile, turning off the autojob in the workshop orders screen would be very simple.  Certainly much simpler than having to keep an eye on my unprocessed stockpile just in case my cleaner got ahead of my fishers for a moment (as he does a few times a year).