Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1169 1170 [1171] 1172 1173 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122552 times)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17550 on: February 13, 2012, 03:35:59 pm »

Not sure if I should ask in the DFHack thread or not, but I can't get autodump to work. It says "cursor position not found". You can use the mouse in DF? :? Do I have to turn it on or something?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17551 on: February 13, 2012, 03:39:46 pm »

Tried pressing K or V to get the selection cursor up?
I'm not familiar with DFHack, but it seems like that could be it.
*Hugs*

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17552 on: February 13, 2012, 03:42:01 pm »

Well I feel dumb. That was indeed it.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17553 on: February 13, 2012, 03:49:24 pm »

So my dorf fell into a river and died. How do I make his ghost go away? I made him a coffin and it says its assigned to him :/

Do I have to pump the river and get his body?

Also why do dorfs sometimes get really long names with like 4 words?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 03:51:01 pm by Yaotzin »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17554 on: February 13, 2012, 03:49:59 pm »

You need to be able to recover his corpse for that to placate the ghost. Creating a slab is easier.
*Hugs*

Edges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17555 on: February 13, 2012, 04:40:59 pm »

Oops
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 04:44:07 pm by Edges »

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17556 on: February 13, 2012, 04:48:55 pm »

Anyone know how to force a dorf to use an item :/ I've forbade every shield but an artifact buckler, artifact shield, and 2 masterwork shields. 3 dorfs have shields in their uniform, 1 has a buckler.

So far only 1 shield (masterwork) has been assigned. Rest just refuse to. It's like they don't recognise the items exist.

Well, they finally all got assigned. And now they just refuse to go pick it up, ever. Sigh.

And trying to remove/readd their uniform crashes DF. aasgafgadfa. Really hope these bugs get fixed in next version!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 05:29:13 pm by Yaotzin »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17557 on: February 13, 2012, 06:22:50 pm »

So my dorf fell into a river and died. How do I make his ghost go away? I made him a coffin and it says its assigned to him :/

Create a slab at mason shop, then engrave the slab at craftdwarf shop for the ghost, then place the slab.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17558 on: February 13, 2012, 07:19:40 pm »

As others have said,  you can carve him a memorial slab. They're made at a Masonry workshop and carved at a Craftsdwarf's workshop by an engraver.

OR you can pump out the river and retrieve his body. This is significantly dwarfier.

As to your next question; dwarves that do noteworthy feats (IE: a certain number of noteworthy kills) get a title. That's what the rest of the name is.

Anyone know how to force a dorf to use an item :/ I've forbade every shield but an artifact buckler, artifact shield, and 2 masterwork shields. 3 dorfs have shields in their uniform, 1 has a buckler.

So far only 1 shield (masterwork) has been assigned. Rest just refuse to. It's like they don't recognise the items exist.

Well, they finally all got assigned. And now they just refuse to go pick it up, ever. Sigh.

And trying to remove/readd their uniform crashes DF. aasgafgadfa. Really hope these bugs get fixed in next version!

You can assign specific items for each dwarf in the equipment menu. But, yes, some military stuff is still a bit borked.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17559 on: February 13, 2012, 07:55:00 pm »

Unfortunately I died because I did a station too close to an ambush and my mightiest dwarf went ZOOOOOM and left his squad behind and died. He crossed half the map before the rest moved like 20 squares. Damn shame, he was a machine!

Before that my 3rd artifact shield refused to be equipped too. I can only guess it was a bug because of the weird materials (leather and bone).

How exactly do you assign a specific item? I only know how to give a uniform, and to remove a specific item.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17560 on: February 13, 2012, 10:20:33 pm »

How exactly do you assign a specific item? I only know how to give a uniform, and to remove a specific item.

You may need additional things like a bookkeeper who has accurately counted all your items, but if you have met the requirements -

press m.
    down arrow until the name of the squad you wish to equip turns blue (this assumes you've made a squad with dwarves in it)
    right arrow, then down arrow until the name of the dwarf you want to equip turns blue
    press e
    to equip shields, press S, for weapons, W (capitalization matters)
    on the right side of the screen you now see a list of choices.  The top one should be specific shield/weapon, already highlit with blue.  If it is not on the list - something is wrong, perhaps bookkeeping.  Press enter while specific shield is blue.
    You will now see the complete list of every shield/weapon in your fortress that is not currently marked as forbidden or for dumping.  This does include all the shields/weapons that are currently being used by other soldiers, so you will need to keep track.  The game will not give you much information (that I've been able to find) to help you understand your error if you've inadvertently assigned the same item to 20 dwarves or something.
    Use up/down arrow to slowly scroll the list or pageup/down keys to quickly flip through it.  Highlight the desired item in blue and press enter.
    Note this can be used to specifically and individually equip each bit of each dwarf's equipment, if you wanted to.  Check the top of this screen (the m-e screen) to see all your equipping choices.
    P is especially nice - it lets you see each specific item, including wear, decoration, and quality levels that the dwarf currently is 'assigned'

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 10:23:45 pm by Imp »
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Kallisti

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17561 on: February 14, 2012, 01:56:59 am »

If I want to create two separate dumps, say, or two separate water sources, then use burrows to manage which dwarfs will use which zones, how do I do that?

Also, is there any way to create a garbage dump that only accepts certain kinds of dumped item, like how you can manage stockpiles?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17562 on: February 14, 2012, 02:40:02 am »

If I want to create two separate dumps, say, or two separate water sources, then use burrows to manage which dwarfs will use which zones, how do I do that?
Just set up two zones and then place them in different burrows I suppose.
Also, is there any way to create a garbage dump that only accepts certain kinds of dumped item, like how you can manage stockpiles?
No. Unfortunately this is impossible at the moment.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17563 on: February 14, 2012, 06:45:22 am »

Hope this helps!
It certainly does! No more making a new uniform just to equip an unusual item like an artifact buckler! And I can give all my masterwork items to my favorite soldier.

In fact, I tried in the ruined wreckages of my previous save, and I actually managed to get my dorfs to wear those artifact shields.

I bet they wouldn't have died then, stupid dorfs.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #17564 on: February 14, 2012, 06:47:11 am »

Out of Topic question: Now that the new version is out, this thread also answers them right?
Pages: 1 ... 1169 1170 [1171] 1172 1173 ... 1178