Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1168 1169 [1170] 1171 1172 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122573 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17535 on: February 13, 2012, 06:53:26 am »

This version. The question pops up quite regularly, usually in the form of "I bought x seedsfrom human/elven caravan/gathered x seeds and made an above ground farm, set it on x for the whole year, but farmers don't plant the seeds, why?"

need to have a procesed thing from it first, it seems. Brew one gathered plant, process it, or buy flour, cloth or a brew from the plant and it usually starts working.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17536 on: February 13, 2012, 08:13:11 am »

Question: do wooden logs and charcoal bars burn like lumps of bituminous coal, lignite and graphite when exposed to magma or fire?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17537 on: February 13, 2012, 08:30:26 am »

Pretty sure they do, but I don't know if they last as long while burning.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17538 on: February 13, 2012, 08:43:45 am »

Lasting long enough to set the <<troll fur socks>> and the kapok breastplates worn by visitors aflame is all I ask :p
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17539 on: February 13, 2012, 08:51:09 am »

I believe there was some science done on this, I'm not sure if it was possible or not.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17540 on: February 13, 2012, 09:58:09 am »

Lasting long enough to set the <<troll fur socks>> and the kapok breastplates worn by visitors aflame is all I ask :p

I have conducted experiments involving forcing elves to stand on burning objects in an attempt to set them on fire.  My experience is that creatures exposed to fire in this manner melt and bleed to death before catching on fire, even if they're wearing wooden armor.  Also, wooden grates burn away very quickly, too quickly for me to be able to use them in my experiments.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17541 on: February 13, 2012, 01:59:24 pm »

Is a masterwork shield or an artifact buckler better?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17542 on: February 13, 2012, 02:12:45 pm »

Quality helps to determine the chance of blocking with a shield, so I'm fairly certain the artifact buckler will be better in almost all situations.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17543 on: February 13, 2012, 02:52:25 pm »

For armor stands and weapon racks, how much armor - and how many weapons - fit on each? Should I get 1 per member of the military in that barracks, or will one be able to hold everything?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17544 on: February 13, 2012, 02:55:06 pm »

Quality helps to determine the chance of blocking with a shield, so I'm fairly certain the artifact buckler will be better in almost all situations.

Defensively, no doubt.  Offensively for shield bashing, not so sure - do shields and bucklers have the same mass if made of the same material?  The mass of a shield is important for shield bashing iirc.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17545 on: February 13, 2012, 03:02:04 pm »

For armor stands and weapon racks, how much armor - and how many weapons - fit on each? Should I get 1 per member of the military in that barracks, or will one be able to hold everything?
In my opinion, it's better to have your military set to keep their uniforms even when off-duty. Otherwise, they spend time suiting up that could be better used killing goblins.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17546 on: February 13, 2012, 03:05:38 pm »

I have conducted experiments involving forcing elves to stand on burning objects in an attempt to set them on fire.  My experience is that creatures exposed to fire in this manner melt and bleed to death before catching on fire, even if they're wearing wooden armor.  Also, wooden grates burn away very quickly, too quickly for me to be able to use them in my experiments.

As long as the end result is the total destruction of goblins and organic goblinite, it's good for me- I aim to create a setup where invaders go in, and meltable parts and nothing else comes out.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17547 on: February 13, 2012, 03:10:01 pm »

Defensively, no doubt.  Offensively for shield bashing, not so sure - do shields and bucklers have the same mass if made of the same material?  The mass of a shield is important for shield bashing iirc.
They're both the same.

Leather, actually. Does the material matter at all defensively? eg against dragonfire..

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17548 on: February 13, 2012, 03:11:11 pm »

Leather, actually. Does the material matter at all defensively? eg against dragonfire..
No, all shield materials block equally well.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17549 on: February 13, 2012, 03:17:47 pm »

In my opinion, it's better to have your military set to keep their uniforms even when off-duty. Otherwise, they spend time suiting up that could be better used killing goblins.
True, but for the sake of knowing. I also tend to always work a few flaws into things I do - otherwise, where's the !!FUN!!, right? :P
Pages: 1 ... 1168 1169 [1170] 1171 1172 ... 1178